Accuvant

Add Photos

Dan Burns

Director of Security Architecture

Director of Security Architecture (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

Pros- Growth: A major private equity firm recently acquired a majority stake in Accuvant.
    - Knowledge: Many companies I have worked at in the past had many talented employees however Accuvant blows all of then out of the water with the number of staff with extremely high technical knowledge.
    - Culture: The culture at Accuvant stretching from the senior management team to junior consultants is amazing. The day to day is a relaxed atmosphere where results matter much more than internal appearance, etc. When working with clients we always make sure to put our best foot forward.
    - Equality: I will never forget our yearly company kick off, where employees from all over the country converge on Denver, when the CEO put an emphasis on equality numerous times. I knew at that point that this is a company I could work at for a long time.
    - Senior Management: The guys who founded Accuvant are great people. To this day they still make time for any employee and when they do make/have that time they are sincere.

Cons- Growth: I did list this as a positive as well because of the opportunities available during a companies rapid growth. This type of Growth also brings a lot of work which can make things hectic at times. The beauty of it though is the fact that I love the work that I do.
    - Politics: I do my best to stay away from internal politics though because of Accuvant's rapid growth it is to be expected there will always be people positioning for new titles, positions and larger salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you are doing. It is amazing what has been accomplished and I look forward to many more years of the same.

Great Company to work for!

Marketing (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAccuvant is a great company that really cares about their employees. Their headquarters is in the heart of downtown Denver with breathtaking views of the mountains. I loved working with everyone on my team and got along with most everyone at the organization. I love that Dan Burns the CEO is so accessible. He treats every employee like they are special, he knows everyone's names no matter how small your role. My direct manager was by far the best I have ever worked for, the kind of manager that makes you want to do a great job. The entire marketing/ communications team is really amazing. For such a large company we had a very small team and were expected to do a lot with a little. Everyone on the team was really good at their jobs and worked hard to get things done. Accuvant really does take care of their employees, the company meeting every year brings everyone together and pumps everyone up, its a really great experience. I left only because I moved across the country but I would work here again if the opportunity came up. Overall I feel very lucky to have worked at Accuvant.

ConsOur team was really not given all of the resources to do our jobs which meant that we worked a lot of long hours to get everything done. The fact that the management would not get a real CRM tool was a huge negative to working there. Accuvant's benefits could be better, they dont do any 401K matching etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I first started there they would fly everyone new into town for "Accuvant Essentials" a training program. I thought that this was really great since most of our sales team worked remotely and it gave them an opportunity to really get to know the company and connect. At some point due to budget cuts they stopped doing this and started doing it remotely which I think lead to a lot more turn over on the sales team. My advice to management would be to bring back Accuvant Essentials.

Great Place to Work

ProsRapidly growing and expanding company. This is a company where finding the right solution, not just any solution, is the culture. Teamwork is key and everyone is willing to lend a hand when asked. Our customers appreciate our dedication to them rather than pushing a vendor agenda. Company promotes ideas and continuous improvement.

ConsExtreme growth comes with challenges. Those problems are usually good problems not bad problems though.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A rapidly growing company where hard work pays off

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat resources available to sales people, a fair but firm culture, respect and trust from managers (I guess this differs by team), no babysitting, excellent relationships in the security space, superior delivery of consulting services you can be proud of, ability to deliver the top security technologies in the world today

ConsFocused on the metrics, dont expect to get away with coasting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Strong security focus.

ProsRelationships matter a great deal.

ConsCompany is struggling to decide what it wants to be when it grows up.

Great place to work

ProsAccuvant has the culture of putting the client's needs first. This is pervasive in all parts of the business. Working here has allowed me to truly make an impact on my clients security posture.

ConsAs the company grows there is a constant need to find talented people, which is hard.
    There is a great deal of information which needs to be learned quickly and the process of teaching new people is not very refined.

I liked working here as a partner services consultant. Wouldn't mind coming back but under my rules.

Partner Services Consultant (Former Employee)

Pros- Competitive Salary
    - Good retirement plan
    - Good health benefits
    - Awesome team mates and staff
    - Full partner support

Cons- No time for training.
    - Too much travel, its customer project driven

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though us consultants are road warriors, we need a break from the road from time to time. Leverage backup resources to give back some personal time for your consultants. Give props to those who deserve it. We would like to know we are making a difference in the company. Also, offer training for your employees because technology is always advancing and I can't learn the new stuff if I'm always on the road at a customer site every week.

Exciting company, hard work pays off

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAccuvant is growing +30% a year and has become a clear leader in the information security space. Has won numerous partner of the year awards from companies like McAfee, RSA, Aruba, Palo Alto.

Great sales culture, strong experience/skills on team. History of meeting and exceeding aggressive growth targets. Top performers are well compensated and recognized.

According to CIO magazine, 2 of the top 10 security researchers in the world (Litchfield and Miller) work at Accuvant. Other consulting departments are attracting thought leaders in certain technology sectors as well--David Swift building great SIEM practice for example.

If you are good at your job, you get rewarded. Negative reviews seem to be from folks who struggled to succeed. That certainly happens, but the company wouldn't be growing if it didn't make good use of people and put them in a position to be successful. I'm still here and I really like it. Best job I've ever had in fact. If you have a passion for information security and good expertise, you will have a lot of opportunity at Accuvant.

ConsAccuvant is growing very fast and that has sometimes meant a bumpy ride. Systems have not always kept pace with the company's needs. Initiatives to improve internal functions don't always get executed, and those that do can take a while to produce benefits.

It is a numbers/results driven culture. I don't necessarily view that as a negative, but if you're looking for a place where you don't have to contribute much and still have good job security, Accuvant is not for you.

Don't know what reviews that mention "good ole boy" management are talking about--management team is ambitous and promotes a meritocracy culture. They could do a better job of providing more performance reviews though--comp plans seem to be primary way of providing feedback. You also need to make sure management knows you want to move up--promotions are competitive and there's no "standard" career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recognizing and rewarding your top talent, and keep hiring good people. Provide clear vision on best solutions for clients. The rest will take care of itself.

Good company to work for

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsVery good partnerships, increasing brand value, very good products and services

Consaverage training, poor lead gen

Advice to Senior Managementneed better training and lead gen

Denver Office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI worked in the Denver office, which was a lot different than a lot of the reviews on here, which are from consultants and sales people. Of course sales people are going to be upset when a company lets them go because of poor sales. In the corporate office we had good support, great co-workers and the CEO is great. I haven't liked one more at any other place I have worked. They had lunch catered every month but I think that might be gone now. Since they are a technology company, they had top of the line equipment for users.

ConsThey don't match 401k. Benefits are mediocre at best. HR talks about world class health care, but monthly cost to employees was high and most doctor visits were expensive. Turnover is VERY high. When I left we had about 500 people, and up to 50 people fired, laid off, or quit per month. I heard they got acquired, which means less frills. The company that bought them is only interested in the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really like the Dans. My advice is to not grow so fast. Consultant turnover is high. Better to slow down a little and get your bearings and become stable and reputable.

Worked for Accuvant? Contribute to the Community!