Accuvant

Updated July 9, 2014
Updated July 9, 2014

3.2

Dan Burns

Worst customer treatment and most politics I have ever experienced.

Former Employee - Consultant

Pros

Working for these guys can be easy because they are so busy admiring themselves you can do almost anything as long as your clients are not too upset.

Cons

Lots of embarrassing situations with customers where you are trying to salvage something for them while Accuvant is trying to pull fast ones. The politics here are beyond anything. Management promotes really bad back stabbing. On my first assignment I asked someone "What is going on here?". The answer was that my manager wanted me to fail so he could look good by saving me -- standard procedure -- don't worry -- just act grateful when he saves you. After a while they let you alone until you become part of another political war between managers. Accuvant is truly amazing.

Hire your replacements.

Worst for staff and customers

Former Employee - Consultant

Pros

If lots of travel and having fun jacking customers over is for you, this is it.

Cons

Customers get screwed.
    They really do not care.
    Forget career growth or training. It is all BS promises.

Care just a little about customers and what they are getting.
    Stop forcing your HR people to write "glowing reviews" here. Face the truth.

Extremely Poor

Former Employee - Pre Sales  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Pre Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I cant think of any pros of working here. Most of my time was on the road or on an airplane going to speak to customers about where to eat lunch.

Cons

No direction
    Poor leadership
    Increasingly harsh culture
    Poor quality of life
    Below average compensation
    No Career growth
    Poorly staffed services organization
    Management

The entire time I worked at Accuvant I was never once recognized for any of my contributions to the team. My advice would be to put measures in place so this doesn't happen and hard working individuals would be more inclined to stay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management practices. Treat consultants like expendable widgets.

Former Employee - Cyber Security Consultant
    Former Employee - Cyber Security Consultant

Pros

None. Seriously. I have nothing good to say about this glorified body shop.

Cons

Consistently trade on their name to get business without ANY idea or ability to deliver. Sign contracts they cannot execute, then go scrambling for resources, which means the field folks get the short end of the stick right along with the customers. If you like having three layers of reporting hierarchy on the same client engagement, come work here. Otherwise, stay away.

Don't pay on time. Don't pay enough. PM's are a joke, can't handle any task at all.

Stop thinking "expansion" and start thinking "customer service". Do you really think that bottom-feeding for cheapest talent available to satisfy the latest client engagement cobbled together with false promises and marketing b.s. is a viable long-term business strategy? These are the "people" who go on site with customers to represent you.

These things have a way of building over time. Give it a bit more, and soon the Accuvant name will join the parade of other discredited failures in this business.

A very disjointed employer with constant turnover and a very unstable financial future.

Pros

The only good thing I can say about this company is the good people I've met that work hard and truly care about their fellow co-workers.

Cons

Senior Management could care less about the happiness/security of their employees, all they focus on is numbers, numbers, numbers. They need to recruit someone to help re-direct this company in a direction where the company is turning a profit and able to keep their talent. Trimming the fat shouldn't be a business practice in the future.

Utilize outside consultants to consult the financial future. Apparently the company really needs this added help for the company to become profitable and stable.

Poor leadership, increasingly harsh culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Conceptually, it's a great business model combining depth and breadth of expertise in various security products along with it's own research function that seeks to harmlessly exploit vulnerabilities in partner products and/or clients' infrastructure with the goal of improving security.

For the most part, the people are very nice

Cons

I agree with the other reviews that mention unrealistic goals. It is a very metrics driven organization (although their systems are horrible) and there's a lot of pressure to meet numbers - regardless of the situation. Management will do whatever is necessary to meet those numbers at the exclusion of everything else (specifically, considerations of you as a human being). For this reason, there is a lot of turnover - both voluntary and involuntary.

In my experience, the hiring process was fairly brief. As a prospective employee, do your due diligence and make sure you can thrive in that environment. Management will not hesitate to terminate you without notice if you do not meet your numbers/expectations and you had also better make sure you buy into the culture and your manager's style from the beginning. As another reviewer said, there are strong elements of a good ol' boys club.

I also share the same experience with another reviewer where specific qualifications were not addressed in the job description. This particular skill became a major part of my job. I asked for help but was left on my own to figure it out. If you find yourself in that situation don't expect much support in the way of training or additional resources. Everyone is extremely busy and the chances of them helping you on your project are hit and miss at best.

Lastly, there is a great deal of talk in the hiring process about collaboration, teamwork, "more heads" make better decisions, etc. That was not my experience nor was it was I observed throughout the company. The culture there is that those at the top know best. When given an assignment make sure you are in lock step with your manager up front. Projects are initiated at the top and delegated down. You can expect a very iterative process as what's thought to be needed at initiation changes by the time you deliver the project. It is terribly frustrating to put in nights and weekends to meet the deliverable only to have it miss the mark because someone arbitrarily changed their mind and you didn't know.

When I first started I believed the goal was to build a sustainably great company that was built on integrity and balanced the needs of customers, employees, stakeholders and community. What I've experienced is a culture that increasingly valued the needs of stakeholders at the expense of everything else. My advice is to get back in balance by: 1) suspending your belief that your rhetoric is reality and, (2) making a sustainable effort to truly listen to all your constituents.

Could have been a good job but got back stabbed by manager!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Excellent Compensation......the top earners make a very good six figure income. The product set is a great mix of IT security products and solutions and is marketed as such. They have a very good benefit package.

Cons

Lots of turnover. Extremely POOR management and unrealistic expectations and time frame to build business. I was personally backstabbed by a sales manager who was losing his personal prospects and laid me off to get to mine. Went to Senior management who basically turned their heads and did nothing. That to me shows the ethics of who this company is. Here's the kicker....they make you sign a non-exclusive and will act on it!! So you're screwed if you try and work in the same field.

It's a shame you run the company as a good ole boys club because there were a lot of good people who worked for you that our extremely successful elswhere.....maybe a blessing in disguise.

Lack of Leadership and Overworking Employees

Pros

Enjoyed working with many of my coworkers, short commute.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Close minded, do not heed employee suggestions and ignore signs that MANY employees are unhappy with the current leadership. Corporate has been coming in and letting people go left and right, keeping the wrong individuals. Paid time off is a misnomer in my experience. No compassion for their employees, it is all about work and meeting very high expectations.

Get rid of some of the current leadership, they do not have the respect of their employees. There is a reason why people are leaving in an inordinate rate. Look out for your employees, do not expect them to be at the companies beck and call 24/7, listed to those who know their positions, and allow them to do that position. QUIT LYING in interviews and misrepresenting the job people are interviewing for.

Profit Collectors

Pros

Accuvant has done almost a masterful job of convincing an entire industry that they not only talented and focused on their customers' interest, but that they are the only relevant player in their industry.

Cons

Where to start. Highly unethical leadership, loss of vision and business fundamentals, and ever-decreasing market value. Very difficult and punitive culture, from what was a highly strategic and rewards-based culture.

None.

Good Company, but risky

Former Employee - Consulting Service Writer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consulting Service Writer in Austin, TX

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Benefits
    Most of the employees are very friendly
    Upward mobility is easily obtainable
    Interview process was short and sweet

Cons

Rug was pulled out from under me. Lost my job after two months of employment due to politics. I had turned down other offers for this job. The reason of my termination had absolutely nothing to do with my individual performance.

Think about the consequences of certain actions

Worked for Accuvant? Contribute to the Community!