Accuvant

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Burns

Director of Security Architecture

Director of Security Architecture (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

Pros- Growth: A major private equity firm recently acquired a majority stake in Accuvant.
    - Knowledge: Many companies I have worked at in the past had many talented employees however Accuvant blows all of then out of the water with the number of staff with extremely high technical knowledge.
    - Culture: The culture at Accuvant stretching from the senior management team to junior consultants is amazing. The day to day is a relaxed atmosphere where results matter much more than internal appearance, etc. When working with clients we always make sure to put our best foot forward.
    - Equality: I will never forget our yearly company kick off, where employees from all over the country converge on Denver, when the CEO put an emphasis on equality numerous times. I knew at that point that this is a company I could work at for a long time.
    - Senior Management: The guys who founded Accuvant are great people. To this day they still make time for any employee and when they do make/have that time they are sincere.

Cons- Growth: I did list this as a positive as well because of the opportunities available during a companies rapid growth. This type of Growth also brings a lot of work which can make things hectic at times. The beauty of it though is the fact that I love the work that I do.
    - Politics: I do my best to stay away from internal politics though because of Accuvant's rapid growth it is to be expected there will always be people positioning for new titles, positions and larger salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you are doing. It is amazing what has been accomplished and I look forward to many more years of the same.

Strong security focus.

ProsRelationships matter a great deal.

ConsCompany is struggling to decide what it wants to be when it grows up.

Denver Office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI worked in the Denver office, which was a lot different than a lot of the reviews on here, which are from consultants and sales people. Of course sales people are going to be upset when a company lets them go because of poor sales. In the corporate office we had good support, great co-workers and the CEO is great. I haven't liked one more at any other place I have worked. They had lunch catered every month but I think that might be gone now. Since they are a technology company, they had top of the line equipment for users.

ConsThey don't match 401k. Benefits are mediocre at best. HR talks about world class health care, but monthly cost to employees was high and most doctor visits were expensive. Turnover is VERY high. When I left we had about 500 people, and up to 50 people fired, laid off, or quit per month. I heard they got acquired, which means less frills. The company that bought them is only interested in the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really like the Dans. My advice is to not grow so fast. Consultant turnover is high. Better to slow down a little and get your bearings and become stable and reputable.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst customer treatment and most politics I have ever experienced.

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsWorking for these guys can be easy because they are so busy admiring themselves you can do almost anything as long as your clients are not too upset.

ConsLots of embarrassing situations with customers where you are trying to salvage something for them while Accuvant is trying to pull fast ones. The politics here are beyond anything. Management promotes really bad back stabbing. On my first assignment I asked someone "What is going on here?". The answer was that my manager wanted me to fail so he could look good by saving me -- standard procedure -- don't worry -- just act grateful when he saves you. After a while they let you alone until you become part of another political war between managers. Accuvant is truly amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire your replacements.

Great Company to work for!

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsAccuvant is a great company that really cares about their employees. Their headquarters is in the heart of downtown Denver with breathtaking views of the mountains. I loved working with everyone on my team and got along with most everyone at the organization. I love that Dan Burns the CEO is so accessible. He treats every employee like they are special, he knows everyone's names no matter how small your role. My direct manager was by far the best I have ever worked for, the kind of manager that makes you want to do a great job. The entire marketing/ communications team is really amazing. For such a large company we had a very small team and were expected to do a lot with a little. Everyone on the team was really good at their jobs and worked hard to get things done. Accuvant really does take care of their employees, the company meeting every year brings everyone together and pumps everyone up, its a really great experience. I left only because I moved across the country but I would work here again if the opportunity came up. Overall I feel very lucky to have worked at Accuvant.

ConsOur team was really not given all of the resources to do our jobs which meant that we worked a lot of long hours to get everything done. The fact that the management would not get a real CRM tool was a huge negative to working there. Accuvant's benefits could be better, they dont do any 401K matching etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I first started there they would fly everyone new into town for "Accuvant Essentials" a training program. I thought that this was really great since most of our sales team worked remotely and it gave them an opportunity to really get to know the company and connect. At some point due to budget cuts they stopped doing this and started doing it remotely which I think lead to a lot more turn over on the sales team. My advice to management would be to bring back Accuvant Essentials.

Great place to work

ProsAccuvant has the culture of putting the client's needs first. This is pervasive in all parts of the business. Working here has allowed me to truly make an impact on my clients security posture.

ConsAs the company grows there is a constant need to find talented people, which is hard.
    There is a great deal of information which needs to be learned quickly and the process of teaching new people is not very refined.

Worst for staff and customers

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsIf lots of travel and having fun jacking customers over is for you, this is it.

ConsCustomers get screwed.
    They really do not care.
    Forget career growth or training. It is all BS promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare just a little about customers and what they are getting.
    Stop forcing your HR people to write "glowing reviews" here. Face the truth.

Extremely Poor

Pre Sales (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsI cant think of any pros of working here. Most of my time was on the road or on an airplane going to speak to customers about where to eat lunch.

ConsNo direction
    Poor leadership
    Increasingly harsh culture
    Poor quality of life
    Below average compensation
    No Career growth
    Poorly staffed services organization
    Management

Advice to Senior ManagementThe entire time I worked at Accuvant I was never once recognized for any of my contributions to the team. My advice would be to put measures in place so this doesn't happen and hard working individuals would be more inclined to stay.

I liked working here as a partner services consultant. Wouldn't mind coming back but under my rules.

Partner Services Consultant (Former Employee)

Pros- Competitive Salary
    - Good retirement plan
    - Good health benefits
    - Awesome team mates and staff
    - Full partner support

Cons- No time for training.
    - Too much travel, its customer project driven

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though us consultants are road warriors, we need a break from the road from time to time. Leverage backup resources to give back some personal time for your consultants. Give props to those who deserve it. We would like to know we are making a difference in the company. Also, offer training for your employees because technology is always advancing and I can't learn the new stuff if I'm always on the road at a customer site every week.

A VAR struggling to become something more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong partners and an expansive sales team with significant relationships. Decent opportunities for those who have the right connections. Reasonable compensation.

ConsServices struggle to meet demands and there is little drive to really become a more balanced company. Short term thinking and a lack of commitment will continue to make this a difficult goal for Accuvant to realize. Benefits are below standards for other companies of this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to a real mission, invest in that goal, and allow those who know the business to do there jobs without being micromanaged. Leaders should be accountable but need to have the authority to either succeed or fail. If you do not trust in your leaders to do that effectively then make changes. There are way too many silos and a select few influence business direction, which needs to change.

Worked for Accuvant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accuvant reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Accuvant CEO Dan Burns. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Accuvant employees.