Ace Hardware

www.acehardware.com

Ace Hardware Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Ace Hardware – US – “Workbench Ace Hardware”

Ace Hardware President and CEO Ray A. Griffith

Ray A. Griffith

Pros
  • you learn a lot about home improvement and retail(in 12 reviews)

• Good values and very positive with respect to work life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I only received minimum wage throughout the entirety of my employment(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and chaotic schedule(in 8 reviews)

A good place to work.

ProsFair compensation for work provided, company tries to keep a historical culture of being friendly and helpful.

ConsThe Management level is ridiculous, the managers have no clue what they are doing, almost seem to be promoted after a given timeframe instead of earning a promotion. Executive group has a plan, communication downward does not flow smoothly. The company is run on the fear of the RSCs instead of best for business.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelpful is a two way street, as you want helpful to flow from Corporate headquarters to the RSCs to eventually the retailers, there has to also be some open communication on what the issues are instead of just trying to cover them up.

Not bad

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Cheektowaga, NY

ProsThey knew how to make paint.

ConsThey didn't know how to match it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the after school help out of the way. Make room for hiring people who can work full time and actually have knowledge about hardware. It is cheaper to pay them, but your customer service goes down.

Short lived and stressful

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLearn a lot about hardware and home improvement
    Flexible schedule

ConsNo advancement
    No regard for safety

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager was having relations with another team member while doing drugs. poor values for this place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I absolutely loved working for ace! I learned so much and gained so much!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proseasy schedule, considerable pay, friendly environment

Consthere are none to speak of.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more of a manager, less of a friend

Good experience

ProsGreat work environment Nice customers.

Consnone it was a great time

Nice company to work with!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsStore discounts, interaction with customers, nice support from corporate. Fun

ConsDealing with customers that come in with chip on their shoulder and take it out on you and make the rest of your day bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward us for some of the good we do, don't just hit us up on what we aren't doing right.

Hard work, but rewarding employment

Field Representative (Former Employee)

ProsVery demanding company, expecting your best work. Excellent benefits, company car, 401K

ConsWould expect you to work evenings and weekends, but was able to make up for it with time off during work week.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep communication going with field

Ace is the place to suck any kinda life out of you...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Great Falls, MT

ProsHelping customers with their needs...

ConsYou get micro-managed to death... Can't make your own decisions...
    You get yelled at on the sales floor in front of customers and other employees...
    Can't say enough about the nepotism...

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat employees with respect, when they're the ones making Ace the big profits...

Typical retail experience

Cashier (Former Employee) Tinley Park, IL

ProsFriendly management, plenty of raise opportunities, learn about hardware

ConsVery family-run...sometimes a good thing, but not a lot of room for "new thinking".

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your younger employees have a voice. Change some things around and see how they go. The times they are a-changing.

My experience was good. I loved the other employees but management was inconsistent.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThey don't watch you like a hawk. Hours are pretty good and the employee discount was amazing. Family owned.

ConsPay is not great. Hardly ever get a raise and favoritism is rampant. The customers are usually old mean men who are in desperate need of a plumbing fix.

Worked for Ace Hardware? Contribute to the Community!