Ace Hardware

www.acehardware.com

Ace Hardware Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Ace Hardware – US – “Workbench Ace Hardware”

Ace Hardware – US – “Workbench Ace Hardware”

Ace Hardware President and CEO Ray A. Griffith

Ray A. Griffith

Pros
  • you learn a lot about home improvement and retail (in 12 reviews)

• Good values and very positive with respect to work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I only received minimum wage throughout the entirety of my employment (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and chaotic schedule (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent job at an excellent place

Cashier (Current Employee) Cave Creek, AZ

ProsEmployee discount, wonderful and friendly coworkers, coworkers always ready to help you out if you need it, friendly customers, great management, easy-going job, flexible hours, no late nights, the company is able to give a good sense of company between each ace store in the country, good training, if you work hard and show responsibility and commitment you are able to move up as manager or similar

Consendless watching of videos for training, cashiers seem to be stuck at the front all day with not much to do if it's a slow day

Ace Hardware has some very friendly staff and is flexible with hours for part time students.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Renton, WA

Pros-Pay increase yearly while working part time
    -friendly coworkers
    -never worked longer than scheduled

Cons-area worked in was bad
    -old customers are grumpy/smart alec

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize the success of the store and award the hard workers

Absolutely Wonderful

Store Manager (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsAll Ace's are independently owned, so my experience may differ quite largely from others.
    Very non-corporate, mom and pop shop
    Very close relationship with staff and customers
    Positive work environment
    Fair hours
    Great FIRST job

ConsLow pay
    Lack of opportunity for advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Ace Hardware was a fun and a health environment, it was spectacular.

Cashier (Former Employee) Benton, IL

ProsAce Hardware is a fun and exciting place to work at. Every day there is a new adventure, as you can say. The customers were nice and always had something new and exciting to say. It was very easy to get along with everyone. They're very cheerful and happy coworkers, and I am glad to say that I was an employee at Ace Hardware The Helpful Place.

ConsOne of the challenges of working at Ace Hardware is some days, like Saturdays, was the busiest days of the week. Trying to make the popcorn for the customers and trying to take care of customers at the same time. You have to be fast and careful at the same time. When the time goes by it gets easier.

Great morale and lives up to the name "the helpful place"

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Glastonbury, CT

ProsThere was a caring atmosphere upheld, and co workers really care about each other. Lets the employees learn all aspects of the store and become a jack of all trades.

ConsIts pretty demanding for a sales associate. Long hours and chaotic schedule. Management was not too worried about giving anyone too many hours, so employees could end up being really overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe just paying attention to employee needs as far as time off and breaks.

Great place to work

Department Manager (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsOn average, hours are very reasonable and managers are reasonable.

ConsAdvancing in the company at a higher level could be challenging as people tend to stay with Ace...it is not uncommon for people to have worked here 25+ years.

Manager Review

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly environment. Lots of training possibilities. Something new every day. Lots of different areas of expertise. High level of community involvement.

ConsLong hours. Poor HR support.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better HR department.

Decidedly mixed

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsSmall locally owned neighborhood store. People were allowed to bring in their dogs.

Consunderstaffed, more work than mere mortals could handle. Store was overstocked, cluttered, impossible to keep clean or even marginally tidy. The manager was a compulsive workaholic which meant he was too busy to bug us. He'd assign a task and then disappear, leaving us to do our work without undue interference. The assistant manager was the opposite, a totally disorganized micromanager and a real pain in the neck.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe last time I was in the store, the place had done a complete 180. The store owner had fired the manager, took over his job, cleaned out the overstock, and apparently got the more obnoxious employees under control.
    At this point no advice.

Good, but hard to deal with management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Germantown, TN

ProsEasy to learn the ins and outs of the job. Cash register was easy to run. Nice to help customers with many aspects of home improvement

ConsBad management. Very low pay for new hires. Not the nicest people to work for. No flexibility on taking time off. Scheduling was a nightmare

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture and better clock-in/clock-out system

hard work lack of pay

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosdiscounts unlimited over time room to grow and life long experiences will be taught here

Conslack of growth low wadges and unequal opportunities owners are greedy and selfish

Worked for Ace Hardware? Contribute to the Community!