Acentia

Todd Stottlemyer

Fish out of water

Former Employee - Program Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Acentia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits compared to other companies

Cons

IT Management company but my background is Natural Sciences.

Former ITEQ,ITS, Acentia

Former Employee - Functional Project Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Functional Project Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Acentia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great HR and finance department. Always direct contact to (a VP) management when they were a SB. Management allowed and expected their PMs to make split decisions within contract budget (and contract scope) to be efficient and effective satisfying additional customer change request and still adhere to the critical path. Management always supported PMs decisions. Yearly salary increases to at least keep up with inflation.

Cons

The larger they got and the more companies they (company investors) consolidated the more bureaucratic they became making it harder and harder for effective and efficient project management and customer satisfaction and internal relationship between departments and people. The only new expansion is through consolidation of existing companies. No new business.

Through all employees a bone through an ESOP plan. Work (mentor) with the people you have to meet your small and disadvantaged business contract requirements. Call me. I am a service disabled veteran and have had a few government contracts and presently building a veteran owned business. Don't allow your PMO office to harass your functional project managers.

This is a good place for a career landing point, but not if you seek to start a career or want career progression.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Acentia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company essentially only hires experience personnel. As a result, I have worked with some very talented people. I was not micro-managed and got to know my immediate supervisor very well. The company has invested in training for its employees. Unfortunately, few take advantage of it. The company also provides opportunities for those with PMP certification to earn PDUs. Benefits are very good. The company does try to transition resources into different roles if a contract ends or if people want a change.

Cons

There are very few opportunities for entry-level employees, if any. Compensation could be better and raises are not good (They are in the low single digits). Managers used to use quarterly bonuses to try to make up for bad raises, but now, bonuses only go to top performers. Bonus amounts are smaller, too. A lot of fun activities occur at or near the head quarter office. Project team members who primarily work at client sites (the majority of employees) have few opportunities to network with people at other client sites and with executives. As a result, a disconnectedness exists as many people on site, especially those in non-management/supervisory roles.

Create multiple career paths; one for individuals who want to become deeply skilled in their current roles and another for those seeking to get promoted to the next level.

I think the corporate office is out of touch with the employees that work on-site at the government installations.

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Acentia full-time

Pros

I cannot think of any pros to list.

Cons

The average salary is below market value.

Start paying closer attention to the off site personnel needs.

Previous Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Acentia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the peopl were great to work with. I had developed true friendships with several people.

Cons

I believe Acentia is bias, there are no minorities managers at the main headquarters. Minorities are treated differently (awards, bonuses, and positions). Acnetia will dispose of minorities a lot quicker than white male/females. Their present population of employees are still still white and middle easterns. Black people you can count them blind-folded.

They will not promote black people within the main building.

My experience with Acentia has been wonderful.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Acentia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented IT professionals work here. Great atmosphere and people! Superior Leadership Teams.

Cons

Sometimes challenging to move from one contract to another.

Allow internal resources more options for professional development - regardless of contract status or length.

Ok place to work

I have been working at Acentia

Pros

Nice, pleasant working environments on the projects for which I did work.

Cons

Have heard negative remarks about the atmosphere on other projects. No room for growth from within unless you work within the corporate environment or directly with Sr. Management.

Sr. Management needs to be more proactive in reaching out to off site employees and keeping them informed and engaged with the company.

Bias work environment for employee to thrive.

Former Employee - N/A in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - N/A in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Acentia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Grest coworkers and the pay

Cons

Immediate and corporate managers are unrulyand quick to down talk the employee to uplift there individual self to the client. All and all they will lie and throw you under the bus just to make themselves look good.

Try to take lower employees concerns of supervisors interactions because all employee are valid dont make them seem less than management.

Worst

Former Employee - Program Director in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Acentia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

not a single pros about this company

Cons

Worst benefits in DC area. No development or growth for anyone. No outlook for company. Never work for this company

Please don't let your best talent leave the company to save money

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Acentia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior Leadership of the company is excellent and inspiring. With the capabilities of a large firm and the personal attention to clients of a small firm, the company hits the sweet spot for clients. Additionally, the centers of excellence provide several technical architects which benefit all markets and companies with their insight and expertise. And generally, the people across the board are top notch.

Cons

No challenges unique to Acentia, only that Federal contracting in general is a difficult environment to be in, but right now, the company is growing in this difficult environment.

Keep up the great work and leadership.