Acentia

Be The First To
Add Photos

Todd Stottlemyer

Great Place to Work

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsSenior Leadership of the company is excellent and inspiring. With the capabilities of a large firm and the personal attention to clients of a small firm, the company hits the sweet spot for clients. Additionally, the centers of excellence provide several technical architects which benefit all markets and companies with their insight and expertise. And generally, the people across the board are top notch.

ConsNo challenges unique to Acentia, only that Federal contracting in general is a difficult environment to be in, but right now, the company is growing in this difficult environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and leadership.

Acentia - Stay Away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a job and paycheck - that's all

ConsYou will probably wind up being a contractor at on a government contract they have. Depending on the office climate there may be great hostilities towards the contractors. Where I was at the red badges (contractors) were definitely treated unfairly by the blue badges (gov't employees). Pay was 20%+ less than market value.

Advice to Senior ManagementResearch the office climates before you put your "workers" into them as most of us do not like our health suffering as a result of a hostile work environment(s). Pay your workers what they should be getting paid. Give your workers guidance about what will happen to then in the event of a gov't shutdown/slowdown, etc.

It was a good place to work and provided opportunities to grow and develop.

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    East Falls Church, VA

ProsI enjoyed working at Acentia more than my other employers. They had good people and good opportunities to grow. I was able to get to know my bosses and senior management and had opportunities to do things my way a little bit.

ConsLike all government contractors, they have a difficult time retaining people when contracts end. They need to try harder to find things for good employees to do while new work is developed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shady employer

Developer (Current Employee)

ProsCushy work environment for stagnant developers

ConsUnprofessional staff, managers never reply to email or return phone calls, rude email etiquette.
    Basically, if you have a problem, you're on your own.
    Benefits cannot be used, because either they're too expensive or the company requires 3 years' commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnswer your emails. Communicate with employees like human beings.

Stable, Lucrative IT Services provider..

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

Pros- interesting projects
    - deeply embedded in Government contracts & business
    - smart employees

Cons- several acquisitions and name branding make company look unstable/unprofitable
    - no projects = a layoff

Advice to Senior Managementstick to one brand. stick to one plan. and invest deeper in Culture and Employee Appreciation

Growing pains

ProsThe company is growing and there is an effort to provide good services for the employees.

ConsThe new heathcare benefits are hurting the companies total compensation for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnify IT infrastructure and provide consistent logon/access interface.

Increased my testing skills

Software Tester (Current Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsI had the opportunity to learn new skills

ConsNot enough contract years left

Not really going anywhere as a company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe base pay is pretty good, benefits are ok too, and some of your co-workers will be cool as well. Depending on contract you can probably swing a desirable security clearance too.

ConsBenefits, while good, are really expensive. Upper management doesn't communicate with staff unless they have to. Given less than a weeks notice that merit increases wouldn't be paid to anyone, made the whole merit review process a farce.

No big contract wins in several years, growth only by buying other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, honestly. Actually, communicate something that's not full of bad buzz speak. Not giving raises to billable staff whose bill rates went up is not ok.

Growing, Supportive, First-Class

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAcentia has great benefits, strong leadership, excellent growth opportunities, very supportive of her employees. The CEO is an outstanding communicator and his passion is reflected corporate wide.

ConsThey have, like many companies, bought into some of the political-correctness of the Affordable Care Act by implementing a very strict no smoking policy as well as a weight management program.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HHS and IRS are two of your major clients. You know ACA isn't ready for prime time, and the guidelines are being postponed. Forcing a non-smoking and weight management policy on your employees smacks of Big Brother.

One of teh region's great growing companies

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsAcentia is a company with which I was proud to be a part. Words to describe the corporate culture and ldeadership include: Honesty, integrity, ethics, vision, great opportunities for growth, good benefits, happy people, good leadership

ConsAcentia is looking to grow to $50 million+ over the next 2 years, and plan to do it through focused growth of clients through adding business and acquisition of other companies. I think they are doing too much acquisition. and are still trying to deal growth pains of rapid expansion through acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with folks when in the transition process of gaining or losing a division or company

Worked for Acentia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Acentia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Acentia CEO Todd Stottlemyer. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Acentia employees.