Achievement First Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
3.4
CEO

Pros
  • great professional development is offered regularly (in 10 reviews)

• It attracts committed, smart, hard working people who share common values of making a real difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • People work incredibly long hours: Work life balance is an issue (in 15 reviews)

• You are not valued as an individual, but made to feel like a puppet, simply parroting what is dictated to you (in 3 reviews)

1. Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Achievement First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff overall and everyone is a hard worker. Kids are wonderful too

Cons

There are long hours and a steep learning curve, but it's worth it.

Advice to Management

None as of now, I really enjoyed my time there.

2. Charter school network filled with talented teachers who are extremely committed to students

I have been working at Achievement First

Pros

I absolutely love the people I work with - teachers, leaders, kids, and our families. Our leaders are really dedicated to the growth and development of each of us. All the teachers embody a sense of "team and family." These people are not just my co-workers, but also friends. We are so strategic in how we approach student learning,and always make decisions that have such a positive impact on kids.

Cons

I think that sustainability in a school is a huge challenge. I have no worked for three different schools, and this is just the nature of teaching. Having a work/life balance at AF is completely possible, but it has required me to prioritize and become incredibly efficient during the work day.

3. A values-driven, mission-driven organization full of incredibly talented people who work hard to do right by all kids.

Current Employee - Regional Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Achievement First is a organization that is constantly learning, reflecting and challenging itself to ensure we are delivering on the promise of an excellent education that we made to our kids and families. We have really smart, thoughtful people on the team. People are nice and value a sense of Team & Family. What I most appreciate about Achievement First is its willingness to take on the most vexing challenges, create a dialogue around them and move forward with efforts to address them.

Cons

Every organization has unique challenges and it is important for folks to know what most matters to them. Achievement First has a lot of strengths but it is working on changing the way we teach so that students are truly college ready. Our classrooms need to have students talking more and doing the thinking and that takes time to develop among teachers.

Advice to Management

The comments herein about sustainability could send the wrong message to potential employees and the organization should figure out how to engage their staff on this issue. It is complex, though, because we know the answer is not simply "do less." Books, seminars and careers are made on the topic of work-life balance and it seems that some folks think there is a simple solution, when in reality, it's really complex. The organization should find a way to talk about this issue, and engage folks so that there are productive conversations, not merely complaints.

5. Challenging work, smart and hard-working colleagues

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work in our network office. I love working at an organization where everyone around me is committed and hard-working. I feel like I can count on my colleagues to deliver great work and partner with me on tough projects. It is also great to be at an organization that is actively growing -- so many opportunities for new challenges and new roles. And I LOVE our mission and what we are delivering for kids, families, teachers and school leaders. I'm really excited to work with our teachers and leaders.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be tiring with a lot of meetings, and I wish I could be in our schools more often for the dose of inspiration.

6. Impactful ed reform work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AF has a team of some of the smartest, most committed individuals I've experienced in my career (which has been in social justice/ed reform work in its entirety). Though the pace is fast and the urgency undercuts all work, I feel that my personal priorities are respected and that there is tremendous room for growth and development.

Cons

Because we are doing real work on daily basis on behalf of kids, some staff can feel overwhelmed at times. I think a reframe of expectations across the ed reform movement focused on student culture rather than adult culture is required -- this is service work, and AF is leading the charge.

7. Mission driven work being pursued by a team of awesome people.

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AF has very strong core values and is fiercely dedicated to its mission: creating opportunities for students who historically have been denied them. It attracts committed, smart, hard working people who share common values of making a real difference. I had worked a bunch of different places before AF, never longer than 2 years at any one place, but after 8 years at AF, I am excited as ever about the work we do and being being a part of this team.

Cons

AF operates in a field which is dynamic, challenging and in many ways still uncharted. That can lead to work which is by necessity hard to predict and, frankly, we get it wrong some times. It is definitely not the place for someone looking for constancy in their work or routines, and that can make it difficult to strike a work/life balance. The urgency we all feel makes the environment intense.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to all stakeholders so that you can continue evolve in a way that achieves your mission in a long-term sustainable way.

8. Lots of hard-working dedicated people.

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of really dedicated, hard-working people come together here in an environment that is collaborative and supportive. As a teacher, you have a lot of supports from school leadership and peers. There is weekly coaching and professional development in addition to summer training that is all in an effort to make you a better teacher. Additionally, everyone is focused on students and puts them first. Finally, there is a culture of constant improvement. Leadership is always looking for ways to improve the network and individual schools.

Cons

It has a start-up atmosphere in that there are growing pains to put up with. Each year there seem to be new systems, curricula, school culture systems, etc and you have to have a certain mindset to be ok with that. In regards to the work-life balance issues, it is spoken about and discussed as an area of growth in the school/network and what is encouraging is that in 3+ years here, I've seen major improvements. However, there are a lot of type A personalities here that work 12 hours a day because they are striving for perfection. It is possible to get your work done during the school day and be a great teacher, but at times you can feel guilty for not working 12+ hours a day because so many people are.

Purposeful and intellectually engaging work

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compensation: People at AF are well paid and get great benefits
    - Resources: There is no lack of resource for teachers
    - Team and Family: You work with talented and intelligent people at all levels.

Cons

- People work incredibly long hours: Work life balance is an issue.
    - Time off: Hard to take a day off without feeling guilty.

10. Best people I've ever worked with, great mission

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After three years here I want to spend at least three years more here. My coworkers are warm, funny and CAPABLE - there is no weak link in the chain - I come to work excited to see people. The co-CEOs are warm, smart, thoughtful people who firmly have one foot still planted in the classroom. Families are wonderful. Benefits are really strong, as is comp.

Cons

Working here is a lot of hard work - but if you know that you have to define what sustainability means for you you will be successful.

11. Outstanding peers, outstanding organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Achievement First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing, dedicated, intelligent peers who are both passionate about education and extremely productive to work with.

A very results-oriented and data-driven culture. They work with the end in mind, and produce more high-quality results in a month than most organizations do in a year.

Cons

An intense work load and a an occasional focus on effort and productivity with less focus on the big picture and strategic use of time and resources.

Achievement First Photos