Achievers Reviews

95 reviews filtered by
4.1
Achievers President and CEO Eric Lochner
Eric Lochner

Pros
  • Amazing culture, great workplace environment and great people (in 12 reviews)

• I truly enjoy coming to work everyday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any growing company, the only constant is change (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely high expectations from senior management without any form of reciprocity (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Very exciting and lots of potential

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the employees are very nice and willing to help. The company is growing fast so there is lots to do, and as a result I get to work with lots of different teams and get a glimpse into their worlds. At my last company, I was stuck in one job which got to be pretty boring pretty quickly. I like how much fun everyone seems to have. The new CEO seems to be a great cultural fit and has a great background. Love the team events.

Cons

I guess all companies have their pluses and minuses, but nothing really sticks out as a "con."

Advice to Management

This seems like a great market segment in which we can have a huge impact as a company. Let's grab as much market share as we can!

Pure hypocrisy

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

salary is paid on time

Cons

their culture is pure hypocrisy. They make you work 10+ hours a day without overtime pay, and they give you recognition of what, $5 worth? and they kept saying how amazing their recognition program is.
    Yes they have celebration events but they are cheap and rarely happen.
    my manager, however, come at 9, leave at 5, sometimes 3 pm. and would chat with us from instant messengers just to see if you are still in the office working overtime. the leaders all seem to care about you, but they only want to make sure you are working like a slave.
    no promotion whatsoever after years of my extremely hard work. no appreciation of talents. They honestly think they are the best and you owe them a lot.
    If you ever leave the company, they will feel you abandoned them and will not like you anymore. They will ignore how hard you have been working for them and will even make up stories to insult you. I heard enough of them trash talking those who left. Now since I'm gone, I heard from my co-workers that my manager still often said awful things about me and said to give bad reference if I applied for any future jobs.
    If you complain, they will tag you as "not a good cultural fit" and they will let you go. The leaders hold 1-on-1 meetings with employees regularly for you to give suggestions with an open heart but it's all fake, in fact if you complain anything, they will remember you by heart and will almost guarantee your miserable future.
    oh there is one VP who loves stalking on people's facebook and constantly make fun of everyone, telling awkward jokes and we have to laugh and pretend to be happy. I feel sorry for him being so unprofessional without knowing his team actually hates him.
    almost all of my previous teammates have left, and the rest are thinking about leaving soon. They are smart and I'm sure they will have a better life than those who stay.

Advice to Management

Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Terrible service, marketing machine that spams customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Based in San Francisco. Fun people.

Cons

No personal growth enabled, the company is all vapor-ware. They create all these white-papers that are filled with non-valid proofs of employee engagement. Their webinar machine is the best, even when people call in to request to unsubscribe we don't remove them from our lists. This is another typical startup that won't be able to grow and is royally become a marketing house.

Advice to Management

Get real.

Jun 4, 2014Employee Success Representative

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your time in sharing your valuable feedback.

Achievers aspires to follow “best practice” in every aspect of marketing. Our Brand and Demand
    ... More

Interesting how positive reviews come in Bulk?

I worked at Achievers

Pros

Food and drink options are good. There can be an element of fun there as long as Senior Management likes you.

Cons

Company has a High School feel to it, either your "in", or you are uncomfortable. Employees are asked (especially when they first start) to write positive reviews on Glass Door, thus the bulk reviews.

Advice to Management

Allow people the freedom to take time out without guilt. Family is important to some people.

Be wary, unless your title starts with a "C"

I worked at Achievers full-time

Pros

You will get to work with a lot of smart people. There are some nice benefits, including using their own product. Lots of branded swag, if you like that sort of thing.

Cons

Favoritism and nepotism abound! Senior hires have brought along coworkers from previous organizations who don't go through the interview process, and end up as overpaid waste. More tenured leaders are too scared to stand up to the new hires & get walked all over. Culture is seriously failing, at a company about building culture!

All those smart people I mentioned in my Pros -- they are smart, but unless they are someone's favorite, their ideas and suggestions will be ignored. So much amazing talent is going to waste at Achievers because not everyone is in the 'inner circle'.

The employees are motivated by fear, and not by passion. (Hence all the good reviews on here are only from current employees who are scared to say otherwise. Same goes for me -- I was too scared to write my review until after I left.)

Advice to Management

To the tenured senior management -- stand up for yourselves, and your employees! The recent senior hires are bringing moral and productivity down.

To the newer senior management -- check your ego at the door. If you need an executive assistant or first class flights, go work for a Fortune500 organization. Your ego is only making this company worse.

Poor excuse for a company

I worked at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food like every other startup in SF.
    Colleagues are nice and friendly, but you definitely have to make an effort to fit in with the team which means drinking the "kool-aid."

Cons

This company is a complete oxymoron. All they do is pitch employee engagement and recognition, yet I have never worked at a company with worse morale or turnover. The management team is all about telling you how great the company is, yet their actions do not support that. In my career, I have learned that a strong company consists of a strong leadership team who has the experience and vision to lead a company in the right direction, a product that works, and employees who are smarter than you. This company has none of that. Also, it is run more like a fraternity than a company, where culture is forced down your throat. Their "culture" is defined by spending 24 hours a day together, partying on the weekends, and not the shared values of the employees. Those who hang out with Razor are given preferential treatment and growth is not based on talent. Unfortunately, you don't realize how unhealthy the environment is until you leave. Given how much hiring is going on in tech these days, I would strongly recommend avoiding this company at all costs.

Oct 9, 2013Employee Success Representative

Thank you very much for your feedback. Rest assured that when hiring our employees, we ensure that we see a fit within our culture. As we hold a strong cultural compass, you will find that many of ... More

Sycophants rejoice!

I have been working at Achievers

Pros

Free food and casual dress are nice, as are the perks along the way.

Cons

This is the place where all standard modes of operation you've previously experienced mean nothing. If you've passed the screening and intense interview cycles and they make you an offer, think long and hard before accepting.

If your intent is to work hard at playing politics, then accept the offer.

However, if your intent is to work hard and focus on output instead of playing 'the game', then take a pass.

Advice to Management

Clear out the self-serving 'leaders' and practice what you preach.

Oct 9, 2013Employee Success Representative

Thank you for your valued review. We too recommend that you think long and hard before accepting any job opportunity. A high-tech, high-growth organization is not for the weak of heart. We look for ... More

This company is nothing like what they pretend to be - does not practice what they preach

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are benefits at this place like laptops for everyone, great work spaces/offices, a great dress code, food and drinks supplied, a drinks celebration every Friday and other things that are perks indeed but these are superficial and hide the huge cons below sadly.

Cons

To be honest the list of cons is insanely long. The biggest con which sums it all up is that working at this company is nothing like what appearances make it to be. Management says they are transparent but they are not forthcoming with much information - most times they tell people when they are forced due to rumors, issues or no other choice. Management presents themselves like they have a strategy and plan for growing and focusing the company - but reality is that it changes so frequently, randomly and without true research and strategic thinking (makes it impossible to keep your role focused in the right direction). The company claims to be inclusive and accepting diversity but unless you are in a clique, drink the koolaid you will be an outsider and anyone not in a favourites circle, good luck being properly recognized or rewarded, regardless of performance. Lastly, they claim they put everything on the table and speak honestly with everyone - nothing could be further from the truth - most discussions with management or senior leadership are lies right to your face. Lastly in terms of execution, whether operations, marketing, strategy, or product development, they claim to have hired people with experience and great qualifications (A Players) when in reality none of these people in such high regard have actually worked for decent sized companies and actually know what they are doing - they fly by the seat of the pants - and as a result the company is managed by people in way over their heads. As a result, while the company concept is great, it falls apart in every aspect of execution from strategy, operations, development, client relations and overall management. Oh and most of the hiring is done based on culture fit - yes that is important to get along - but it usually WAY overshadows a persons qualifications so many people are hired as long as they have minimal qualifications as long as the hiring people think they could be FRIENDS with them - seriously!

Advice to Management

Management need to take a huge step back and do some self reflection on every aspect of the business and ask themselves why so many employees are constantly leaving, even ones who have worked in startups, people with great qualifications and experience. Take a read and think about the points above because many people seem to be saying the same thing.

Oct 9, 2013Employee Success Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. To address your point on hiring friends, we strive to hire very similar-minded individuals with characteristics that fit a high-growth business and ... More

Company is just a showoff

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well you get free lunch, a laptop, free breakfast but as mentioned in other reviews the lunch is awful and breakfast is sometimes well past its expiry.

Cons

No direction at team level
    Your position is dependent on amount of cash in the bank for this startup
    People here watch and surf internet in the name of work
    No incentives except for the stock options which you dont know if its going to materialise
    Waste of time in company wide meetings which most people dont seem to be interested in

Advice to Management

Needs to quickly realise that people make the company and not vice versa.
    There needs to be some sort of performance review
    Stop worrying about competitors and concentrate on what you make - which will make the company go forward

Good & Bad

I worked at Achievers full-time

Pros

- You get things like snacks and drinks, and you get to work in a pleasant environment
    - Social atmosphere with others
    - High energy people for the most part
    - There are some good teams that support one another (really depends on what dept you are working in)
    - Some fun events like socializing and drinking on Friday, friends to go to lunch with
    - If the right people become close to you, you'll get some positive opportunities in your career development. It's getting rarer and rarer though.

Cons

Compensation:
    - You're definitely expected to work after hours without being paid
    - Salaries are different for all team members. If you get to the point where you can discuss this with your team members, you'll see that people are paid more because they were just more vocal and direct/dramatic about getting a pay increase

Leadership/teamwork:
    - Leaders all have to play a political game with Sr. Management, so don't expect pure honesty on pay, professional development or an over-burdened workload
    - Sr. leaders (CEOs, CFOs, VPs) come and go A LOT. It's a bit embarrassing as a company image

Social/Political Landscape:
    - Everyone has to play a political game in the Toronto and San Francisco offices. If you don't make friends with the right people and make sure you're seen, you will not get the chances the person next to you gets.
    - Your social acceptability is correlated with your professional development and advancement
    - The high-school comparisons are not exaggerations, you just have to deal with it once you're working there

Integrity:
    - It's political, so you have to be careful who you confide in. There have been many instances where I have heard of direct sabotage between employees. And I mean employees and leaders trying to get people fired. Everyone talks to everyone.
    - These positive comments and the company rating SHOULD BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. Achievers DOES reward brand new employees for posting a review. Do you think a new employee would post anything but positive? They haven't even experienced the company yet, and they need to make a good impression. Of course they are giving positive reviews.

Advice to Management

There is such a cycle of political operation that I'm not sure if any advice would be helpful. Just be good people, make smarter decisions for the greater good and respect one another.

Apr 22, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

We certainly appreciate your feedback and agree that our environment is pretty awesome. Many of our employees do indeed end up becoming very close friends as a result of meeting at Achievers ... More