Achievers
www.achievers.com San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Achievers Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Patrick D. Quirk

Pros:
  • "Great People - I'm very impressed that as a start-up everyone has a role and does their job amazingly"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is a very long list of things that make me love coming to work every day and these are just a few of them"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "As with any growing company, the only constant is change"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Extremely high expectations from senior management without any form of reciprocity"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Terrible service, marketing machine that spams customers

San Francisco, CA

ProsBased in San Francisco. Fun people.

ConsNo personal growth enabled, the company is all vapor-ware. They create all these white-papers that are filled with non-valid proofs of employee engagement. Their webinar machine is the best, even when people call in to request to unsubscribe we don't remove them from our lists. This is another typical startup that won't be able to grow and is royally become a marketing house.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real.

Flag Review
    Achievers Employee Success Representative responded to this review Jun 4, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your time in sharing your valuable feedback.

Achievers aspires to follow “best practice” in every aspect of marketing. Our Brand and Demand
    ... More

Interesting how positive reviews come in Bulk?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFood and drink options are good. There can be an element of fun there as long as Senior Management likes you.

ConsCompany has a High School feel to it, either your "in", or you are uncomfortable. Employees are asked (especially when they first start) to write positive reviews on Glass Door, thus the bulk reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people the freedom to take time out without guilt. Family is important to some people.

Be wary, unless your title starts with a "C"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will get to work with a lot of smart people. There are some nice benefits, including using their own product. Lots of branded swag, if you like that sort of thing.

ConsFavoritism and nepotism abound! Senior hires have brought along coworkers from previous organizations who don't go through the interview process, and end up as overpaid waste. More tenured leaders are too scared to stand up to the new hires & get walked all over. Culture is seriously failing, at a company about building culture!

All those smart people I mentioned in my Pros -- they are smart, but unless they are someone's favorite, their ideas and suggestions will be ignored. So much amazing talent is going to waste at Achievers because not everyone is in the 'inner circle'.

The employees are motivated by fear, and not by passion. (Hence all the good reviews on here are only from current employees who are scared to say otherwise. Same goes for me -- I was too scared to write my review until after I left.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the tenured senior management -- stand up for yourselves, and your employees! The recent senior hires are bringing moral and productivity down.

To the newer senior management -- check your ego at the door. If you need an executive assistant or first class flights, go work for a Fortune500 organization. Your ego is only making this company worse.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor excuse for a company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree food like every other startup in SF.
    Colleagues are nice and friendly, but you definitely have to make an effort to fit in with the team which means drinking the "kool-aid."

ConsThis company is a complete oxymoron. All they do is pitch employee engagement and recognition, yet I have never worked at a company with worse morale or turnover. The management team is all about telling you how great the company is, yet their actions do not support that. In my career, I have learned that a strong company consists of a strong leadership team who has the experience and vision to lead a company in the right direction, a product that works, and employees who are smarter than you. This company has none of that. Also, it is run more like a fraternity than a company, where culture is forced down your throat. Their "culture" is defined by spending 24 hours a day together, partying on the weekends, and not the shared values of the employees. Those who hang out with Razor are given preferential treatment and growth is not based on talent. Unfortunately, you don't realize how unhealthy the environment is until you leave. Given how much hiring is going on in tech these days, I would strongly recommend avoiding this company at all costs.

Flag Review
    Achievers Employee Success Representative responded to this review Oct 9, 2013 EditDelete
    Thank you very much for your feedback. Rest assured that when hiring our employees, we ensure that we see a fit within our culture. As we hold a strong cultural compass, you will find that many of ... More

Sycophants rejoice!

ProsFree food and casual dress are nice, as are the perks along the way.

ConsThis is the place where all standard modes of operation you've previously experienced mean nothing. If you've passed the screening and intense interview cycles and they make you an offer, think long and hard before accepting.

If your intent is to work hard at playing politics, then accept the offer.

However, if your intent is to work hard and focus on output instead of playing 'the game', then take a pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the self-serving 'leaders' and practice what you preach.

Flag Review
    Thank you for your valued review. We too recommend that you think long and hard before accepting any job opportunity. A high-tech, high-growth organization is not for the weak of heart. We look for ... More

This company is nothing like what they pretend to be - does not practice what they preach

ProsThere are benefits at this place like laptops for everyone, great work spaces/offices, a great dress code, food and drinks supplied, a drinks celebration every Friday and other things that are perks indeed but these are superficial and hide the huge cons below sadly.

ConsTo be honest the list of cons is insanely long. The biggest con which sums it all up is that working at this company is nothing like what appearances make it to be. Management says they are transparent but they are not forthcoming with much information - most times they tell people when they are forced due to rumors, issues or no other choice. Management presents themselves like they have a strategy and plan for growing and focusing the company - but reality is that it changes so frequently, randomly and without true research and strategic thinking (makes it impossible to keep your role focused in the right direction). The company claims to be inclusive and accepting diversity but unless you are in a clique, drink the koolaid you will be an outsider and anyone not in a favourites circle, good luck being properly recognized or rewarded, regardless of performance. Lastly, they claim they put everything on the table and speak honestly with everyone - nothing could be further from the truth - most discussions with management or senior leadership are lies right to your face. Lastly in terms of execution, whether operations, marketing, strategy, or product development, they claim to have hired people with experience and great qualifications (A Players) when in reality none of these people in such high regard have actually worked for decent sized companies and actually know what they are doing - they fly by the seat of the pants - and as a result the company is managed by people in way over their heads. As a result, while the company concept is great, it falls apart in every aspect of execution from strategy, operations, development, client relations and overall management. Oh and most of the hiring is done based on culture fit - yes that is important to get along - but it usually WAY overshadows a persons qualifications so many people are hired as long as they have minimal qualifications as long as the hiring people think they could be FRIENDS with them - seriously!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to take a huge step back and do some self reflection on every aspect of the business and ask themselves why so many employees are constantly leaving, even ones who have worked in startups, people with great qualifications and experience. Take a read and think about the points above because many people seem to be saying the same thing.

Flag Review
    Thank you for taking the time to share your review. To address your point on hiring friends, we strive to hire very similar-minded individuals with characteristics that fit a high-growth business and ... More

Company is just a showoff

ProsWell you get free lunch, a laptop, free breakfast but as mentioned in other reviews the lunch is awful and breakfast is sometimes well past its expiry.

ConsNo direction at team level
    Your position is dependent on amount of cash in the bank for this startup
    People here watch and surf internet in the name of work
    No incentives except for the stock options which you dont know if its going to materialise
    Waste of time in company wide meetings which most people dont seem to be interested in

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to quickly realise that people make the company and not vice versa.
    There needs to be some sort of performance review
    Stop worrying about competitors and concentrate on what you make - which will make the company go forward

very limited growth opportunities

(Current Employee)

ProsLots of vacation days
    Free breakfast and lunch in office
    Good place for a junior level employee

Cons-Very low pay and nobody cares to discuss it as the managers will just tell you how great their benefits are (the benefits are just average in fact)
    -Nepotism: tends to hire Board of Directors' relatives
    -Boring work and very limited growth opportunities, doing the same repetitive things for 2+ years even if they kept telling me how much they encourage employee growth
    -Lots of long and meaningless meetings which nobody seems to care
    -Recognition is mostly on peer basis and it is rarely given to those who don't work very interactively with others
    -Very long hours and no overtime pay
    -Celebration events are boring and are mostly shows for clients
    -Corporate culture feels more like a cult. They force people to engage in things they are not interested in
    -Also, they very intentionally encourage their employees to write positive reviews here

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employee's talents or they will just leave. It is just a moderate company and nobody has to stay here.

Flag Review
    Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We’re happy to hear your thoughts on vacation and our breakfast and lunch perks. It’s important that we help provide the fuel for our employees to ... More

Engagement without Feedback

Developer (Former Employee)

ProsTons of perks. They sell culture, so they have so much culture it hurts. Lots of great ideas, and they use their own product. Lots of recognition, and a lot of smart people here.

ConsFor all their recognition, there isn't much feedback. They don't believe in Reviews, but seem too busy working hard and partying harder to give feedback on job performance. Then come the mass layoffs.
    The party atmosphere got old pretty fast, since they try to have it pretty much constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback to employees. Annual reviews may be uncool if formalized, but feedback and communication of expectations is so important.

Flag Review
    We’re stoked to hear that you are enjoying our culture of recognition! Recognition is indeed a wonderful way for our employees to receive praise and points for all the great work they do. The ... More

Overall a pretty disappointing experience

ProsGreat location, lots of potential for interesting work, free lunch daily.

The corporate messaging around employee engagement that gets you in the door is also reflected in their marketing, which makes you feel good about coming onboard.

ConsRemember that great messaging around employee engagement? It's all show, at least in some key departments. Like the one churning out all that messaging which has to be one of the least engaged and least empowered teams I've ever worked with.

Senior leaders with poor people management skills somehow still advance up the corporate ladder, and are allowed to micromanage their often more experienced/competent staff. Isn't the point of hiring more experienced professionals that they can take ownership and drive results?

Although San Francisco is the headquarters, and where they've added on a large number of leadership hires in a few short months (CEO, CMO, CRO, a departed CHRO), most of the employees are in Toronto. Expect frequent travel to/from Toronto if you want to stay in the loop.

I came here thinking I'd have the opportunity to do some of the best work of my career. Instead, it has been incredibly disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither get training for your inexperienced managers who've been promoted beyond their abilities, or find them an independent contributor role before they drive out more capable employees.

You've hired some amazing A-players -- don't squander their talents!

Worked for Achievers? Contribute to the Community!

Achievers Videos

Achievers – Why Work for Us?

Mission and Vision Achievers’ mission is to Change the Way the World Works. Your employees are your company’s greatest asset; when you empower them to succeed, your business reaps the benefits. Achievers Software and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Achievers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Achievers CEO Patrick D. Quirk. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Achievers employees.