Acquity Group

Acquity Group Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Not yet rated.

Jay Dettling

Pros:
  • "There are one or two smart people left"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The people are nice and friendly"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expensive benefits, no 401K match, non-existent flexible/unlimited PTO policy"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No 401K match, no clear vacation policy, horrible management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Senior Front End Web Developer

Senior Front End Developer (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

ProsFun office environment.
Fourth friday's are fun.

Cons- Very little communication from Upper Management on why certain decisions are made.
-Poor project management and the project and those working to meet the deadline suffer
- Almost no way to get utilization high enough to get a bonus

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee)
Staten Island, NY

ProsDynamic & Creative Front End Developer Group
Excellent Compensation
Excellent Benefits

Cons"Seasoned" professionals are fresh out of college
Unable to execute an end to end strategy for client
Employees over 30 are RARE!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you advertise seasoned professionals, actually have them on staff. While you like the profit margins of putting junior, inexperienced people on an account it's the best way to keep losing clients! It's clear you have no interest in people over the age of 30.

All of my time was at one client

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Acquity Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMade some lifetime friends. Had fun on the road. Felt I lived the consulting life. Learned a few things, mainly generic process and documentation (although useful). Boosted career confidence.

ConsTravel. Same client the whole time. Too much of the frat lifestyle. No real concern for career progression from "mentors". People trying to pose as experts... charade.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for people you want to keep and ensure that you really know what their goals are.

Highly instable

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Acquity Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood consulting experience and very knowledgeable people

ConsThe company tries so hard to be the next Accenture or Deloitte and it is pretty similar to them in the way it is run and is operated however lacks the ability to efficiently manage the available resource pool. You overhear a lot the term lean and bottleneck by higher management which are often transalted into terminating people who were trained for their position to hire new one who have to undergo new training. If only someone could remind them that lean management is more of a operational approach rather than HR approach... So far there have been three huge layovers (60 people in January 2013, 20 people in February and 29 people in March that has been justiicaed by the need to better align their business priorities. I wonder what kind of public company is this that needs to adjust the business priorities every so often.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some very good educated and experienced folks, make them lead the game and not always the usual suspects who may be good at a macro level but lack the granularity. Becoming the next Deloitte won't come from the bottom of the organization pyramid but from the higher management.

Poor leadership losing touch with a once great workforce

Creative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acquity Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- A few really intelligent people
- Free soda

Cons- No 401k match
- Poor communication
- Disconnection between sales team and delivery team
- Super high attrition
- Layoffs of quality, high-performing employees - with no clear reason
- Nonexistent career support

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. When employees frequently ask for 401k matching, don't turn it into a recurring joke. There needs to be a serious effort to admit mistakes and rebuild a very fragile relationship between the employees and leadership.

Good, but not great

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acquity Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay from employer. Room to grow for the hungry. 'Go and get it' mentality is adored here.

ConsDull culture, overworked staff. Poor management. Hiring and firing often.

Stay away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Acquity Group full-time for less than a year

ProsStrong in strategy work , I believe there are a few smart people left in the organization.
Free soda!

ConsThey hire in masses, hire experienced people as Sr Managers and Directors and ask them to do development/coding ! Project pipeline not very strong now. Rumor is that they had 2 rounds of layoffs already - may be many more to come the way they are losing clients.

I am not adding anything on the benefits part as anyway it is pathetic and many others have already highlighted the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to grow up as an organization, listen to your employees and plan properly.

Poor man's Accenture

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acquity Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- A player at the forefront of new technology.
- Efficient expense reimbursement team.
- Smart, energetic foot soldiers
- Non existent formal training structure, but a great opportunity to learn new technology.
- Approachable management. Open door policy (mostly).

Cons- Insecure and conservative management team, unwilling to experiment with individual project team leadership; the usual suspects lead all the projects.
- Middle management stuffed with pompous, fast aging relics from the Big 4 world.
- Swim or die mentality. "Raise your hand" (policy) or be ignored.
- Networking, favors more likely to get you promoted than your achievements/skills
- Corporate has a new found love for SharePoint! #Misery. #Shame.
- Expensive benefits, no 401K match, non-existent flexible/unlimited PTO policy. No PTO accrual.
- Quarterly and annual bonuses tied to billable utilization, regardless of availability.
- Haphazard resource allocation policy. An organization that hires experienced Project Managers and allocates them as Business Analysts, needs a reality check.
- Attrition at an all-time high. Flip-side: Incessant hiring, lack of project quality leading to fast exiting customers, and hence layoffs.
- Project Managers advocate travel out of insecurity and need for show of strength, rather than actual need.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down, get a grip. Evaluate your middle and regional management. Invest in managers with people skills - Sales people are great at selling; they make shoddy office leadership. Regional offices harbor a step-child like culture - fix it. Adobe and Hybris make good bedmates for now, but for your employees it seems like a classic case of all-eggs-in-one-basket. What's the next big thing? What happens if either one gets bought out by another big vendor? Talk to your employees more often. There is life beyond Chicago - wake up... now!

Good company to stay and grow

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

Proshuge variety of technology
focused in WCMS and ECommerce
nice and supportive peer to work with

Consnot open to negotiation when hired.
poor resource management.
occasional layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay some program to develop technical resources within the company, that way people tend to stay longer and work harder for the company.

Nice People, Poor Management

Associate, Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at Acquity Group full-time for less than a year

Pros- The people are nice and friendly
- The benefits are okay

Cons- You are not in charge of your own utilization. And if you've done everything in your power to get billable hours, but it's still unattainable and out of your control, then it's too bad for you. You'll be put on the chopping block.
- No accrued vacation
- The company does not value their employees

Advice to Senior Management- You let go of employees that never had the chance to prove themselves, and yet you're hiring fresh employees that will be in the same position (but with less experience). You're just going through a vicious cycle.
- Stop hiring people if you don't have enough resources to keep them off the bench. You're just wasting your money.

Worked for Acquity Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Acquity Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Acquity Group CEO Jay Dettling. All 79 reviews posted anonymously by Acquity Group employees.