Actelion

Add Photos

Jean-Paul Clozel

career opportunities

I have been working at Actelion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong product qualty, no high stress

Consneeds vision and clear strategy, no employee development

Management is non-existant

Intake Coordinator (Former Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Actelion as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThey have a fully stocked refrigerator and snack section and a clean campus. Thats about it.

ConsThey expect an in-human amount of work to be done in a rediculous time frame. Their management is non-existant and staff is unsupportive. I mean I'm all for working independantly but there is absolutely no team structure in this place. I was working in a contract position in the customer service/patient assistance department and was stoked when I got the gig, but that enthusiam didn't last long. There is overall direction provided to the team from the management. The work methods and overall system are lacking direction. An insane amount of work is expected to be completed within an impossible timeframe. It was an overall tiring andunpleasant experience working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect and motivate your staff! Let them know that you are there for them and that you have an open door policy. Make the pecking order clear (for lack of a better term). Maybe spend a week in your employee shoes to see if your alotted time frame and amount of work is actually feasable.

Going nowhere fast

Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Actelion

ProsActelion NJ (Actelion Clinical Research) has the following good points: bring your dog to work policy; fully paid medical benefits; a few of the direct managers are very supportive of their direct reports

ConsClinical Development management department heads are in a power struggle and fighting for control. The departments are silos, with poor communication among the groups. The power struggles trickle down and create an atmosphere of backstabbing, finger pointing and mistrust. Some managers micromanage employees, and there is a lack of empowerment and ability to make decisions at the appropriate level. All major and strategic decisions are made by ACR president or in the headquarters. Employees are rarely promoted from within; there is very little opportunity for advancement.
The office set-up is very unusual: large open offices with 4-5 people - these become very noisy and distracting when trying to work, it's much worse than a cubicle. Most of the "team rooms" keep their doors closed, making it awkward for someone to walk in (do you knock, or just open the door?). Because of the open plan, you know way too much information about your office mates.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe mid-level management is fine, and does it's best to mentor employees and drive trials to success. Senior management needs to stop in-fighting and find a way to come together. There is a huge lack of trust and paranoia. As a result, good ideas are not shared with others and risks are not taken because of fear. The CEO should find out the real story, and not be fooled by the misinformation given to him by his team.

Ok workplace unless you want to change something

I have been working at Actelion as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsWarm relationships within teams and departments, flat hierarchy are definitely one of the most important things. Free coffee is nice, too

ConsBit rigid to innovations, some things are very poorly planned and bad implemented (logistics), not much possibilities for a career in administrative areas

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good for first job

Clinical (Current Employee)
Allschwil (Switzerland)

I have been working at Actelion full-time for more than a year

ProsGet to do different activities within a position, you learn a lot from different roles/departments.

ConsSalary is not up to par with industry, management does not empower teams

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen

In this day and age, it was okay

Associate Director (Current Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Actelion

Pros- good people
- pretty good benefits
- central location
- interesting pipeline
- company longevity

Cons- if you are not at HQ in Switzerland, you are in work Siberia
- roles/responsibilities not clearly defined
- different performance standards for different people

Advice to Senior Management- value all of your offices/locations the same!

A good company

Clinical Research (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actelion full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExtraordinary buildings in Switzerland, great food and coffee, good performance-based bonuses. Flexitime system (badging). Young and therefore flexible company. Rather good working atmosphere. Company has a daycare, offers language courses, lots of training options, many sport centers in the neighborhood including an open air swimming pool.

ConsAccessibility is not optimal by public transports. Mass dismissals in 2012. Salaries are said to be lower than in large pharma companies. Some tensions between ome departments like in all companies. Small company with inherent risk of a buyout.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand portfolio and continue with calculated risks!

Nice, cutting-edge employer with focus on people and science

Postdoctoral (Current Employee)
Allschwil (Switzerland)

I have been working at Actelion as an intern for more than a year

ProsNice, cutting-edge employer who cares about employees and strong focus on scientific collaborations. Short distances, low hierarchical levels, and truly open communication on all levels.

ConsAfter fast and solid growth, next phase is surviving until the next drug is on the market. Currently uncertain future.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reigning with the scientist part in your heart as you always did.

Actelion, Switzerland

I have been working at Actelion

ProsSmall company with relatively flat hierarchy. Ambitious and energetic team. Good payment scheme with initiatives for an acceptable work life balance

ConsSmall company with a very limited product base in the market; constant risk of take-over; mis-match between perception of top management and day-to-day business operations

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Actelion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Actelion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Actelion CEO Jean-Paul Clozel. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Actelion employees.