Actian Reviews

3.1

Actian President & CEO Steve Shine
Steve Shine

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Actian

Pros

Future looks bright in a growing industry. Good work/life balance. Technology platform making significant performance achievements compared to others in the market.

Cons

Challenges still present due to recent acquisitions. Products still require some integration into platform. Services resources are struggling to find qualified experience.

Lacking in Culture and Vision

Former Employee - Global Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was able to advance my sales career by leaving.

Cons

The leadership believes they have all the answers but were never available to share their vision or direction. On multiple occasions I was asked by leadership to deceive existing partners into paying more in renewals.

Culture needs to be #1.

Lack of Direction from Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

-plenty of great, hardworking, talented people here
    -casual office environment

Cons

No clear direction from management. Lots of talk about huge things to come, but never really executed the delivery of ways to get there. Lots of frustration in the Austin office during my time here.

Follow-through on commitments to develop clear plans of execution, be honest with employees about goals for the company instead of using buzz words to pacify employee frustrations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

mixed bag

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I worked at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some very talented people here. Most Managers do have their employees best interest at heart and gives the employees an opportunity to grow with the company

Cons

Along with great leaders, comes the not so great ones. Management in Marketing Integration Division was intolerable. We promoted a Sr.Manager who could barely control her own emotional outbursts. Micromanaged every great team member away and finally left the company with a mess for everyone else to clean up

communication is the key.

Not an employee friendly company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Actian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool technology. Hot market space.

Cons

Out of touch management for Silicon Valley company. Benefits are sub par compared to others in the valley. Equity is non existent and there is little upside in the form of bonuses. The general attitude of management is that employees don't matter. It's obvious they are hiring people to appear like a real company to sell off.

Do some research into how you can become a real Silicon Valley Company or at least to pretend to be one. Stop being dishonest to employees.

Actian has quickly transformed itself into THE major player in Big Data Analytics

Current Employee - Senior Director, Marketing  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Actian full-time for less than a year

Pros

New website that better tells the Actian story. Management open to new ideas from employees and willing to adapt/change. Very intelligent people at all levels. Very collaborative

Cons

Very fast changing, dynamic culture. Probably too fast changing for some people. Organization used to be siloed across 3 groups: Ops Databases, Integration, and Big Data based on 2013 acquisitions. In the last month, they re-org'ed and morphed into offering a single Big Data platform.

Provide company equity (stock) to all employees so they feel ownership

Great company to work for!!

I have been working at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Positive, cordial atmosphere where everybody is available and approachable
    - Interesting work
    - Environment enables people to take decision and take ownership.
    - Excellent management team
    - Startup in a well settled and established company.
    - Great in integrating different products (after 3 acquisition) and aligning a single strategy

Cons

- Sometimes slow to react to technology headwind

- Schedule and implement career trajectory plans for employees
    - Be more aggressive in innovation and R&D

Most exciting BigData Startup in the Valley

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

-- Great BigData startup with solid customer and revenue base
    -- Exciting unique technologies such as Vectorwise (specialized in VectorProcessing), DataFlow (Faster alternative to MapReduce), Analytics, ParAccel(MPP db) in Big Data Space to work on..
    -- Good salary and benefits
    -- Startup Work Culture with good work life balance
    -- Right next to Redwood City Cal Train station with another office in Campbell. So two options for work place.
    -- Rapidly growing with great career possibilities
    -- Remote working flexibility when needed

Cons

-- I wish I had more vacation

Big Data Leader, Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director of Marketing
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing

I have been working at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Actian is a great company to work for. Never a dull moment here and constantly innovating to deliver practical solutions to the market. At a recent Customer Event, multiple blue-chip customers shared very positive feedback about the technology and how it has helped accelerate their time to insight and improved business for them. Very smart bunch of folks who work closely as a team, definitely lot of fun in my opinion.

Cons

Nothing really, we've got everything going for us - great profitability, strong technology platform, loads of name-brand customers who keep buying more every year, cordial atmosphere at work and a lot of fun.

Keep up the innovation to stay ahead of the competition and continue to nurture the friendly and team-work culture for more growth.

Actian for Big Data and Analytics.

Current Employee - Chief Architect  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Architect in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Actian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Actian has assembled a suite of enterprise software products particularly in the areas of big data management and analytics through careful acquisitions within a short span of time. It has brought in an excellent management team to position the products in the market place, actively integrate them to build a cohesive story around big data and analytics, and effectively compete to take the market share it deserves. For enterprises that have the mix of NoSQL data in and around the Hadoop environment, Actian will be a compelling player as Actian's products integrate well with the Hadoop environment.

The company now has a clear roadmap in terms of products, their cohesive integration including Hadoop and the market it wants to focus which is very compelling in every sense. Coming from the enterprise software technology market, it is quite clear to me that Actian is in the early phase of rapid growth. For anyone - an employee, a potential future employee, a customer or a partner - association with Actian will potentially be a rewarding experience going forward. I am personally very bullish on its future.

Best to All Actians.

Cons

Acquisitions always bring challenges. Processes and efforts are in place that address the challenges to create the 'One Actian Cultural Identity' and the progress is already visible.

Keep your focus on Big Data and Analytics. Your roadmap is on target. Execution is the key.

Worked for Actian? Contribute to the Community!