Actian

Actian Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Actian President & CEO Steve Shine

Steve Shine

Actian has quickly transformed itself into THE major player in Big Data Analytics

Senior Director, Marketing (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsNew website that better tells the Actian story. Management open to new ideas from employees and willing to adapt/change. Very intelligent people at all levels. Very collaborative

ConsVery fast changing, dynamic culture. Probably too fast changing for some people. Organization used to be siloed across 3 groups: Ops Databases, Integration, and Big Data based on 2013 acquisitions. In the last month, they re-org'ed and morphed into offering a single Big Data platform.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide company equity (stock) to all employees so they feel ownership

Lack of Direction from Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-plenty of great, hardworking, talented people here
    -casual office environment

ConsNo clear direction from management. Lots of talk about huge things to come, but never really executed the delivery of ways to get there. Lots of frustration in the Austin office during my time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow-through on commitments to develop clear plans of execution, be honest with employees about goals for the company instead of using buzz words to pacify employee frustrations.

mixed bag

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere are some very talented people here. Most Managers do have their employees best interest at heart and gives the employees an opportunity to grow with the company

ConsAlong with great leaders, comes the not so great ones. Management in Marketing Integration Division was intolerable. We promoted a Sr.Manager who could barely control her own emotional outbursts. Micromanaged every great team member away and finally left the company with a mess for everyone else to clean up

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication is the key.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not an employee friendly company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsCool technology. Hot market space.

ConsOut of touch management for Silicon Valley company. Benefits are sub par compared to others in the valley. Equity is non existent and there is little upside in the form of bonuses. The general attitude of management is that employees don't matter. It's obvious they are hiring people to appear like a real company to sell off.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some research into how you can become a real Silicon Valley Company or at least to pretend to be one. Stop being dishonest to employees.

Great company to work for!!

Pros- Positive, cordial atmosphere where everybody is available and approachable
    - Interesting work
    - Environment enables people to take decision and take ownership.
    - Excellent management team
    - Startup in a well settled and established company.
    - Great in integrating different products (after 3 acquisition) and aligning a single strategy

Cons- Sometimes slow to react to technology headwind

Advice to Senior Management- Schedule and implement career trajectory plans for employees
    - Be more aggressive in innovation and R&D

Most exciting BigData Startup in the Valley

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros-- Great BigData startup with solid customer and revenue base
    -- Exciting unique technologies such as Vectorwise (specialized in VectorProcessing), DataFlow (Faster alternative to MapReduce), Analytics, ParAccel(MPP db) in Big Data Space to work on..
    -- Good salary and benefits
    -- Startup Work Culture with good work life balance
    -- Right next to Redwood City Cal Train station with another office in Campbell. So two options for work place.
    -- Rapidly growing with great career possibilities
    -- Remote working flexibility when needed

Cons-- I wish I had more vacation

Big Data Leader, Great Place to Work

Director of Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsActian is a great company to work for. Never a dull moment here and constantly innovating to deliver practical solutions to the market. At a recent Customer Event, multiple blue-chip customers shared very positive feedback about the technology and how it has helped accelerate their time to insight and improved business for them. Very smart bunch of folks who work closely as a team, definitely lot of fun in my opinion.

ConsNothing really, we've got everything going for us - great profitability, strong technology platform, loads of name-brand customers who keep buying more every year, cordial atmosphere at work and a lot of fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the innovation to stay ahead of the competition and continue to nurture the friendly and team-work culture for more growth.

Actian for Big Data and Analytics.

Chief Architect (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsActian has assembled a suite of enterprise software products particularly in the areas of big data management and analytics through careful acquisitions within a short span of time. It has brought in an excellent management team to position the products in the market place, actively integrate them to build a cohesive story around big data and analytics, and effectively compete to take the market share it deserves. For enterprises that have the mix of NoSQL data in and around the Hadoop environment, Actian will be a compelling player as Actian's products integrate well with the Hadoop environment.

The company now has a clear roadmap in terms of products, their cohesive integration including Hadoop and the market it wants to focus which is very compelling in every sense. Coming from the enterprise software technology market, it is quite clear to me that Actian is in the early phase of rapid growth. For anyone - an employee, a potential future employee, a customer or a partner - association with Actian will potentially be a rewarding experience going forward. I am personally very bullish on its future.

Best to All Actians.

ConsAcquisitions always bring challenges. Processes and efforts are in place that address the challenges to create the 'One Actian Cultural Identity' and the progress is already visible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your focus on Big Data and Analytics. Your roadmap is on target. Execution is the key.

Poorly executed private equity play

ProsOK (but not outstanding) compensation/benefits

If you're looking to slide into semi-retirement, they'll be OK with you filling a cube and pretending to work a few hours a day.

ConsA failing attempt to glue a handful of somewhat related tech companies into a shell of a company before selling it off.

Significant exodus of talent, resulting in customer support and sales problems.

Very cynical treatment of employees.

Remaining staff very demoralized; many are counting the days to bonus out.

Career growth and stock options are mostly imaginary, since this is a PE play to be sold off asap; see www.garnetthelfrich.com

Advice to Senior ManagementCome clean with employees about the business model; pretty much everyone knows the reality by now anyway. You'll have to spread some money around to hang on to the remaining staff for awhile, but that may keep things together long enough to sell it.

Need to right this ship soon

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmart people and interesting technology. The culture of the company from which we were acquired continues to persist....for now.

ConsSilos of information and expertise.
    No real sense of leadership or long term management plan.
    Overlapping technologies without a road map.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the compensation issue quickly. Six months post acquisition and there is no compelling reason why employees who have no stake in the new company should continue to work here. Talent is walking out the door daily and unless addressed soon, there will be very little left to manage.

Worked for Actian? Contribute to the Community!