Actian Reviews

Actian President & CEO Steve Shine
Steve Shine

Sales Director

I worked at Actian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good comp plan
    Competitive Products
    Good people

Cons

Poor handling of mergers
    Poor communication with employees

Lost in translation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Actian full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The packages are quite good and there are some really nice and talented people at the bottom of the pile so they are a great bunch of folk to work with.

Cons

Management (or lack of it) is a completely different story. Senior Management seem to spend their time flying around the globe at great expense and not actually achieving anything and middle management are fairly useless and could be got rid of in a heart-beat and no-one would miss them. There is no scope for personal development and there is a general feeling that it all feels like a sinking ship. Great shame but with so very little investment in advertising then I suppose that is what will eventually happen!

Please invest in the people who actually know what they are doing, who work hard. Listen to them, don't be afraid to embrace and good suggestions. Cut frivolous spending and put that money into getting our name out there. No-one in software has ever heard of Actian, despite what your marketeers may tell you to the contrary.

S.O.S.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Actian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Actian had the potential to be "the major player" with great technology, talented engineers, excited sales & marketing team. But if senior leadership ever checked in, they would know that it has disappeared with week after week of a talent exodus. We do get free lunch and breakfast tacos twice a week, though.

Cons

Where to start???....Oh, Steve Shine... Senior staff have an elitist culture that has rubbed off on middle management. They have forgotten that Actian needs qualified developers and engineers to make his platform "vision" work.

Hire Deloitte, Accenture, Capgemni to come in and make us work. It is your only hope. Your middle management does not have the skills, experience, industry knowledge, or know how to save our company.
    Or sell us quick before there is nothing left to sell.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Actian

Pros

Future looks bright in a growing industry. Good work/life balance. Technology platform making significant performance achievements compared to others in the market.

Cons

Challenges still present due to recent acquisitions. Products still require some integration into platform. Services resources are struggling to find qualified experience.

Not a real software company

I have been working at Actian full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is more interested in acquiring other companies than in developing software.

Cons

If your company is acquired by Actian, do not expect anything.

The Best Vaporware a company can buy.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Actian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of...

Cons

The CEO is no where to be seen & doesn't have a clue. The technology is broken. There is no platform. The services team is understaffed. Support is under trained. The sales teams are hopeless. It is a sinking ship.

Stop and analyze your business. Get rid of the middle management that does not understand the market or product. Invest in engineering, not marketing.

Lacking in Culture and Vision

Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Actian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to advance my sales career by leaving.

Cons

The leadership believes they have all the answers but were never available to share their vision or direction. On multiple occasions I was asked by leadership to deceive existing partners into paying more in renewals.

Culture needs to be #1.

Lack of Direction from Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Actian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-plenty of great, hardworking, talented people here
    -casual office environment

Cons

No clear direction from management. Lots of talk about huge things to come, but never really executed the delivery of ways to get there. Lots of frustration in the Austin office during my time here.

Follow-through on commitments to develop clear plans of execution, be honest with employees about goals for the company instead of using buzz words to pacify employee frustrations.

mixed bag

Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I worked at Actian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some very talented people here. Most Managers do have their employees best interest at heart and gives the employees an opportunity to grow with the company

Cons

Along with great leaders, comes the not so great ones. Management in Marketing Integration Division was intolerable. We promoted a Sr.Manager who could barely control her own emotional outbursts. Micromanaged every great team member away and finally left the company with a mess for everyone else to clean up

communication is the key.

Not an employee friendly company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Actian full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool technology. Hot market space.

Cons

Out of touch management for Silicon Valley company. Benefits are sub par compared to others in the valley. Equity is non existent and there is little upside in the form of bonuses. The general attitude of management is that employees don't matter. It's obvious they are hiring people to appear like a real company to sell off.

Do some research into how you can become a real Silicon Valley Company or at least to pretend to be one. Stop being dishonest to employees.