Actiance Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
72 reviews filtered by
2.0
Kailash Ambwani

Pros
  • Have worked for 4 plus years and had the great time learning up new technologies (in 6 reviews)

• Open work culture and less process driven (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance due to erroneous project planning (in 7 reviews)

• HR policy are dynamic and some of those are not transparent (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Mature, but growing company with a bright future if we execute properly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Actiance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to understand some of the negative reviews here. But people are expected to work here. This isn't a place to hide and take home a paycheck. Engineers are expected to product quality products. Sales are expected to sell. Support is expected to support. If they don't, this isn't the right place for them.

Nice new headquarters, with lots of room to expand.

There are 3 main product lines, all three of which are growing.

There has been a lot of focus on improving the company culture over the past year. We've started holding more all-hands meetings to keep people informed, and weekly, now daily, company lunches.

There is more to be done, but definitely on an upward trend.

Cons

Like every company, we need to execute properly in order to grow.. Resources can be tight, but you typically have what you need to perform your job.

Some teams are held more accountable than others.

The CEO can be very demanding. He expects a lot out of people. But those that deliver are well rewarded.

Advice to Management

Focus on product quality. Make the existing products the best they can be, then build new products.

Small company, wrong business focus, high employee turnnover.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Actiance

Pros

Good working env, can work from home and get well compensated for home office. Most of the products work and are mature technology.

Cons

The company future is solely riding on it's new long-term archiving solution, that they can't even get away for free. If you give someone a new house for free, unless they lived in a crap hole and the new house is a mansion, they are not going to pack up a leave their ok house to through the expense and possible headache of moving to that new house with all the unknowns, and that's exactly what's happening. There are major problems with the company's plan and outlook, and lots of uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Don't say "Our future depends on Alcatraz", when it is not selling at the moment. It may be a great product, but people get very apprehensive when you put all your eggs in the Alcatraz basket, when we have two other great products. Makes people question why the desperation when Socialite and Vantage are selling fine, and here you are indoctrinating us about Alcatraz. Target the right opportunities for Long-Term archiving, but don't try to push Alcatraz down every single customer's throat. Painful for them, painful for us.

Enter at your own risk

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Actiance

Pros

You will get a paycheck and health insurance, 401K, paid time off, etc.

Cons

This company is all about the CEO. Look at the video above, there is the CEO telling you this is a ground floor opportunity. The company has been around for over 15 years and is not profitable. AEs have to sell renewals but do not get paid on renewals. Not one AE made quota last year and the turnover is dizzying. SEs do presales work, implementation, training, and support. Engineering is in India and the product is very buggy. Product Management does demos and completes RFPs.

Advice to Management

Wake up and get your head out of your butt.

Problem stems from the TOP. CEO is Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Actiance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Group I work with is great. In general, employees are very talented.

Cons

Management is bad. Bad Leadership! Focus changes more often that it should. CEO is dysfunctional and treat senior staff like children. Micro Management doesn't work. These are sharp high-caliber individuals who need to be treated as such. I don't know why the board hasn't done anything about it. I mean, they are losing good talented individuals because of dysfunctional management style. They've changed C-Level executives more often than any company I know. 2-3 VP of Sales within a year?

Advice to Management

Change CEO and it will be a good company as the product has a lot of potential!

Completely Dysfunctional Management that Starts from the TOP

I worked at Actiance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology has a great potential but still has a long way to go to get there. Mostly, good talented people.

Cons

There are countless Con's but only one thing I want to point out that I believe is the root cause of all the problems - Totally dysfunctional CEO. I don't know why the Board has not done anything about it. I mean no VP of Sales has lasted longer than the last one. I mean, who goes through VP's like that? High level meetings that goes beyond ripping one's professional/business performance. Ripping people in such deep personal level is just pure unprofessional and dysfunctional.

Frequent Layoffs, Frequent shifts in focus

I worked at Actiance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company, market leader in a niche area. Pre-IPO, but has been pre-IPO for at least 15 years so don't hold your breath on that point. Product portfolio is small so easy to gain expertise in the technologies. Pay Scale was reasonable, no complaints about salary.

Cons

Management switches focus regularly. No consistency. One example -- While I was there, we changed file systems strategies at least 5 times (from file servers to SharePoint to IBM Connections to email(!) to SalesForce. Email and SalesForce are not meant to be used as file servers, so it was a weird, clunky fit. Each switch required you to move all your own files to the new system. Switches were not announced, you just found out when the old server was removed. Layoffs are a regular event. Even high performing employees were laid off. It was not uncommon to be recognized one week in an All-Hands meeting and laid off a couple weeks later. Employees are half in India and half in the US, and the two sides seem strained. Documentation is written in India and can be incomprehensible. Yes, they are the market leader, but it is a niche market area and can become saturated quickly, leading to a feast or famine situation. I suppose this contributes to the constant layoffs. When I started, the focus for sales was 100% on the banking & finance industry. Anyone who suggested selling the product to any other industry was quickly shot down. Once that market was saturated, management seemed overly reluctant to widen the focus. The product would be applicable to many industries, not just the financial area, but management seems reluctant to move outside of their comfort zone. It's very unfortunate, as it prevents them from expanding or growing.

Advice to Management

Internally: Pick an IT strategy, any IT strategy, and stick with it. Changing file systems every 6 months is nuts. Employees are not disposable. Constant layoffs have a chilling effect on the workforce and make even your top performers feel uneasy and subtly threatened. The layoffs seem to hit everyone without regard to their performance. If you are going to manage your cashflow by cutting people, at least try to cut people who are not doing their jobs. When you lay off some one who was recognized the week before at a meeting, it sends the wrong signal to remaining employees. When an employee gives a two week notice, don't ask them to keep it a secret from everyone. Allow them to make an orderly transistion and hand-off their accts or projects professionally. Do not order them to act like everything is fine and then vanish on the last day. That prevents anyone from saying goodbye, does not allow for closure and contributes to the general unease of the remaining employees since it appears a lot like a layoff if you did not know that the person quit. Try to eliminate the 'Us' versus "Them" mentality between the US and India. Get some writers who are native to the English language for the documentation team. Customers complain bitterly about the quality of the documentation and they are right! The documentation looks like a joke now. Professional documentation will make the whole company look more professional. Externally: If the sales people that you just went to a lot of trouble and expense to hire have contacts in industries other than the financial markets, leverage them! You are limiting the potential for growth by restricting where you sell the products. Once you sell everything to all the banks and insurance companies, then what are you going to do? You only have 3 products. It's not like you can keep selling the same guys those 3 products over and over.

Just Say No

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Actiance

Pros

They tell a good story but its smoke and mirrors. I was misled on the status of the company and should have looked and listened more closely the blogs, Glassdoors, Linkedin ETC.

Cons

Conditions turned out to be very bad- a mass exodus in marketing, the sales staff comes and goes endlessly (just look at Linkedin), products are a buggy mess in endless development and change, very poor if any QA, leadership is a cult of CEO personality. I was stunned at the top down dysfunction.

Advice to Management

Where is the Board in this is the question. HQ needs serious adult supervision.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Actiance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard working colleagues, pretty good pay, lots of customers. Not much else to say.

Cons

Products are buggy. Customers are unhappy. People leave all the time so it's hard to get things done.

Advice to Management

Step aside and let someone fresh lead the company. You've been at it for a while and it's not going anywhere.

Worst company I have ever worked for

I worked at Actiance (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company. Bad management, bad products, and bad people all around. If you are smart I would steer clear away from this company. You will be out of a job soon, when this company folds

Cons

Too many to name, but this company is running out of money. They have products that don't work and the environment is terrible. If you are desperate and need a job, and this company is your only hope, then I would say work there, but if you have other choices, run from this place as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. They have no leadership and everyone is quitting.

One of the worst companies to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at Actiance (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. Nothing positive to report.

Cons

Everything. STAY AWAY! Unless you enjoy no money, unhappy customers, and being told you are incompetent on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Dissolve the company. You will be doing the world a great service by eliminating Actiance from existience