ActioNet

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
2.8

Ashley W. Chen

Pros
  • The good people are kept around and given fair increases and promotions if available (in 5 reviews)

• Strong work life balance policies and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is out of touch with regular employees that put in the work to support their salaries (in 5 reviews)

• Leadership tends to focus on pleasing the client vs protecting the employees; lots of jocking for position with in executive management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience

I worked at ActioNet

Pros

Relaxed, friendly and healthy environment.

Cons

Salary is relatively low. And not many opportunities to grow.

Listen to your employees and give the employee the opportunity to grow.

Not the best experience.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Woodlawn, MD
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Woodlawn, MD

I worked at ActioNet as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are a few PMs who know how to manage their projects and their staff. They exhibit what is best in the company. The coworkers are friendly and it's a nice work environment.

Cons

Useful communication is definitely lacking from upper management. Management can be petty and arbitrary when making some decisions. Real project management is missing. No one knows how to write down the tasks, plan ahead, and deliver by date. Deliverables seem to be a surprise and cause last minute scrambling and an extremely high stress level. CMMI level 3 must have been based on another project team. (If there was an SCAMPI audit tomorrow, this team would fail miserably.)

"The customer is always right" is invalid. Plan ahead and anticipate objections so you can lead the customer to the proper conclusion. Yes, it requires you to think more but that's why you have that job.
    Stop micromanaging some tasks and let your PMs do the work. If you don't trust them to do their work how can you expect them to trust you?

Golden cage

I worked at ActioNet

Pros

Good salary and benefits. No complaints.

Cons

Bad management, among the worst I've ever had.

When nobody goes to your parties, that is a clue that you have bad morale.

Growth, respect, and opportunity.

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid public transit is a nice benefit. Paid training, too, which I'm taking full advantage of. The management at my local office is top-notch. We had our share of bad managers, too. ActioNet gave those people a few chances to improve, and ultimately replaced them with the better staff we have today. It's nice to see the company chose management that reflects their professionalism.

Cons

I am under-paid for my position. Across-the-board, this does seem to be a trend among my peers. However, with the experience I'm gaining, alongside the training I'm being given, I do see my long-term prospects as improving dramatically.

This is a company I could see myself retiring from, a LONG time from now. But before that can happen, my salary would have to increase to be on-par with other company's offerings. I do worry that one day, I'll have to leave to get that 20% bump from an external source.

That aside, Actionet is the best employer I've ever worked for. You guys care, and it shows. I've advanced quickly up the ranks from where I started, and that recognition feels fantastic.

Bad management

I worked at ActioNet

Pros

Work life balance is good. Compensation is ok.

Cons

Really bad management. Even a small group has several leaders who do nothing everyday.

It is what it is...

I worked at ActioNet

Pros

Strong HR and accounting departments, good people, decent holiday bonuses, values work ethic and recognize employees for their work performed.

Cons

When it's close to the end of a contract, like any other government contract, the company can only keep the people they have openings for. This sucks, but it is what it is. Unfortunately, I was not guaranteed a position towards the end of the DESS contract, so I had to leave the company for my own livelihood.

More market research, better alignment of resources to R&D (Research and Development) and last minute projects. Poor corporate level Project Managers burn people out, so don't keep the bad ones around. A lot of the things ActioNet invests in is not wanted or needed by government agencies. I.E.; I doubt any government contracting company can do cloud computing better than the real private sector. Yet, many contractors keep trying to do it.

Terrible

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Germantown, MD
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Germantown, MD

I worked at ActioNet as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I really can't think of anything that stands out as a positive. The usual niceties. Picnics and winter parties are ok.

Cons

Stay away from this company. No job security. No team spirit.

Engage the staff and see whats really going on, not what your lower tiered managers/supv tell you.

Pricing

Former Employee - Principal Pricing Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Pricing Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at ActioNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance for all.

Cons

No solutions, benefits are good.

Become a large company and don't micro manage

Good company with potential for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a Company with good people, good values, focus on excellence, and is always looking to improve.

The Company makes a significant investment in employee training and provides opportunities for growth, advancement and career development.

The Company does have defined areas of concentration/practices that bring stability and opportunities for career growth.

Cons

The quality of your experience will vary depending upon the VP/Manager where you are working. Larger jobs will be more challenging as staff is being on boarded quickly and for example forming a new 50 person team cannot be accomplished easily overnight.

The pressure for growth from executives is relentless and this creates stress among internal and corporate staff to achieve results. Lots of finger pointing and tattling to senior management and executives.

There is a significant amount of posturing by Senior Management and advancement depends on your ability to fit into the owner's view of the world.

First Year was wonderful then with the expansion in Baltimore things changed dramatically

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Projects and customers are wonderful to work with and most of the management is great. The VP and the main Program Manager are exceptionally knowledgeable and fair.

Cons

New hires and some of the Management do not know what they are doing. Project Controllers, BA's and PM's seem to be responsible for what the slacking management does not do. Everything is a rush, again because management has forgotten a due date. The upper management seems not to care.

Open your eyes and hold management accountable.

ActioNet Photos