ActioNet

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
2.9

Ashley W. Chen

Pros
  • The good people are kept around and given fair increases and promotions if available (in 5 reviews)

• Strong work life balance policies and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is out of touch with regular employees that put in the work to support their salaries (in 5 reviews)

• Leadership tends to focus on pleasing the client vs protecting the employees; lots of jocking for position with in executive management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what it is...

I worked at ActioNet

Pros

Strong HR and accounting departments, good people, decent holiday bonuses, values work ethic and recognize employees for their work performed.

Cons

When it's close to the end of a contract, like any other government contract, the company can only keep the people they have openings for. This sucks, but it is what it is. Unfortunately, I was not guaranteed a position towards the end of the DESS contract, so I had to leave the company for my own livelihood.

More market research, better alignment of resources to R&D (Research and Development) and last minute projects. Poor corporate level Project Managers burn people out, so don't keep the bad ones around. A lot of the things ActioNet invests in is not wanted or needed by government agencies. I.E.; I doubt any government contracting company can do cloud computing better than the real private sector. Yet, many contractors keep trying to do it.

Pricing

Former Employee - Principal Pricing Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Pricing Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at ActioNet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance for all.

Cons

No solutions, benefits are good.

Become a large company and don't micro manage

Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I worked at ActioNet as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I really can't think of anything that stands out as a positive. The usual niceties. Picnics and winter parties are ok.

Cons

Stay away from this company. No job security. No team spirit.

Engage the staff and see whats really going on, not what your lower tiered managers/supv tell you.

Good company with potential for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a Company with good people, good values, focus on excellence, and is always looking to improve.

The Company makes a significant investment in employee training and provides opportunities for growth, advancement and career development.

The Company does have defined areas of concentration/practices that bring stability and opportunities for career growth.

Cons

The quality of your experience will vary depending upon the VP/Manager where you are working. Larger jobs will be more challenging as staff is being on boarded quickly and for example forming a new 50 person team cannot be accomplished easily overnight.

The pressure for growth from executives is relentless and this creates stress among internal and corporate staff to achieve results. Lots of finger pointing and tattling to senior management and executives.

There is a significant amount of posturing by Senior Management and advancement depends on your ability to fit into the owner's view of the world.

First Year was wonderful then with the expansion in Baltimore things changed dramatically

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Projects and customers are wonderful to work with and most of the management is great. The VP and the main Program Manager are exceptionally knowledgeable and fair.

Cons

New hires and some of the Management do not know what they are doing. Project Controllers, BA's and PM's seem to be responsible for what the slacking management does not do. Everything is a rush, again because management has forgotten a due date. The upper management seems not to care.

Open your eyes and hold management accountable.

Was very dissatisfied with the Baltimore office since it is a female own company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at ActioNet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits and salary were satisfactory. Location of the office and parking was a plus.

Cons

As a seasoned professional it was the worst place I've ever work. A female has little growth due to the male dominance in the office. There are several males in the Baltimore office which need to be removed in order to have a functioning office and a real team environment. If you're not an aggressive female or one that doesn't plays along with the top males in the company consider another place to work.

Company is losing its values due to exploding growth to fulfill a contract.

CEO is out of touch with the Baltimore office.

Great place to launch career, great people.

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Vienna, VA

I worked at ActioNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fellow staff, the facilities at headquarter are located close to public transportation and shopping/food. Ability to make impact on your team. Summer and winter outings are very fun. Stability if your good at your job.

Cons

They typically hire young employees new to the job force likely to maximize revenue. So it can be frustrating that you are quickly looked at as senior staff potentially before you may be ready for such a role. Compensation is typically on low end to start but I found they were fairly generous during reviews.

For the most part keep up the good work. Only complaint would be relaxing the telework policy and making effort to retain valuable staff.

Not a place for seasoned professional

Former Employee - QA Analyst II in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - QA Analyst II in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at ActioNet as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Training was encouraged and usually approved by IT Training coordinator quickly.

Cons

Management's only focus is to charge client for every opportunity they can think off. Senior management is out of touch with regular employees that put in the work to support their salaries. Little or no advancement opportunity, low salary. Don't dare to ask for a raise or a promotion even if you are qualified. All the IT certifications are just to secure the contract, never had seen them following ISO or CMMI standards in my project. No real guidance was there from the PM and let client do what ever / whenever they wished.

value your common employees. Senior Management can't do it alone.

Great company to work for, if you want to grow your career

Current Employee - Lead Data Architect in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Data Architect in Vienna, VA

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently joined ActioNet. I am impressed by the culture of fast-paced decision making by management, proactive support staff and focus on customer satisfaction and employee morale.

I believe that it is a very good company to work for, if one is interested in challenging opportunities. I will post again in a few months, but I am confident that my initial reading of this company will remain unchanged. In one word, EXCELLENT.

Cons

None worth mentioning so far.

Continue to innovate and build top-tier technical and management staff.

This successful company empowers employees to reach potential and their own successful destiny.

Current Employee - Lead Database Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Database Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at ActioNet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best benefits I've ever had. Project leads are treated as peers. The talent here is rich and honorable to work along side. Everyone seems happy and is openly friendly. The work opportunities are great. Ethics and integrity are recognized and rewarded. Efforts above and beyond the call of duty have established compensation incentives. Nobody here puts in overtime consistently without significant personal benefit. Professional career growth for technical staff is powerful, available and encouraged. The clients are high profile and great future resume additions. Strong work life balance policies and benefits. High initial PTO. Cutting edge administrative infrastructure. Proactive implementation of corporate and government compliance standards while emanating an energetic small company spirit. Bumped into the CEO on my first day and found her to be happy, friendly and for someone with so much on their plate quite stress free.

Cons

Locations and various client sites can be difficult with commuting and parking but company offsets with reimbursed allowances. Some may find the quality initiatives complex and extra work but it's a chosen methodology and better than no adherence to quality. Clients are demanding and some cannot afford to be tolerant of mediocre work which I feel is the basis for the majority of negative reviews here that at first had me almost forgoing the interview. Thankfully I didn't prejudice based on these reviews and went to see for myself. What a contrast to the doubt instilled by these disgruntled folk. Ones who struggle and sometimes fail find it gratifying to blame the world around them for their lack of satisfaction. In these negative reviews there seems consistently the hints of non communication and lack of personal responsibility in attaining and earning the rewards from their work. I don't mean to imply I know each of the situations and I do not seek to downplay their expressed disillusion. I do however wish to say to those that find doubt because of these reviews to instead allow their own experience and their own insight into this company to speak louder than what may seem a "product with bad reviews". I almost lost out on a great job I'm proud of in a role that I feel blessed to be in. So I avidly hope others aren't led astray from possibly achieving the same. imho.

The talent base is high and some processes could benefit from cross-departmental alignment and executive enforcement of the disciplines at the project level that would eliminate redundant efforts, initiate greater individual contribution to process improvement and free the talented task owners to reach higher and accomplish exceedingly greater results for the clients. It's a successfully fast growing company and such initiatives are naturally left for later but to empower team leads to hold ground with cooperative constituents regarding the shared deliverables can be brought into the mix if the executive leaders hold the torch and entrust the team level leads with more authority in deciding the quality of the work handed off from one team or task to theirs.

ActioNet Photos