Action Ambulance

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
2.2

Michael Woronka

Great place for work life and personal life balance. They really care about you and your family.

Current Employee - Paramedic in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has done a great job navigating the changes in health care. They are growing and offering opportunities for those who want to take advantage of them. Those who are unhappy are poor performers and bring the rest of us down.

Cons

EMS is a tough field and keeping everyone happy is difficult

Keep doing what you are doing. Thank you for supporting your employees and growing the organization is a respectable manner.

better than most private EMS companies

Former Employee - Emt B
    Former Employee - Emt B

I worked at Action Ambulance part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the management cares about employees, pull one aside and they will usually listen and help. While I was there I truly felt the entire company was focused on solid patient care.

Cons

Raises have disappeared. There didn't seem to be any real preceptors for newly hired employees

N/a

Lord help this company's awful management, horrible staff, and of all things, their patients!

Current Employee - EMT in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - EMT in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. You are kidding, right?

Cons

NO pay raises in years, Wages are not competitive, totally out of range with Boston area cost of living. The more experienced you become the more likely it is that management will find a way to fire you or force you to quit. Benefits SUCK. Company contribution to 401K was eliminated this year. Employees are treated like animals by managers. The CEO has multiple personalities, beware! A recent recruitment flyer for New Hampshire EMTs proves how delusional the company is, lies! lies! lies! Training is not existent. EMTs and paramedics are terrible, patient care is really bad. "EMT:" Order supplies. "Company:" We have no supplies, pound sand! Medical Director? Who? Who? Thinking about a job with this company? Do yourself a huge favor and go somewhere else.

Wake up and snap out of your trance. Bring Stan back! Fire the top managers and wipe the slate clear.

Action Ambulance is awarded ONE star!

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Action Ambulance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employed full time for many years. Awesome coworkers, but unfortunately they have gone elsewhere. I can think of no "pros" to suggest working here.

Cons

Complete lack of interest in retaining employees. Constant turn over and those who have had longevity are bullied by upper management. No salary increase in more than 5 years, have had holidays eliminated and 401k match removed. Focus is on achieving awards rather than ethics. If you're looking for a stable, honest company, look elsewhere.

Bring back Stan, put him in the corner office.

Everything said is on the money

Current Employee - EMT
    Current Employee - EMT

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any pros

Cons

Employees are treated like crap. The company spends more time making excuses for doing the job wrong than it would take to do the job right. Employees are intimidated and bullied by management. Employees are treated like dirty diapers. Employee benefits suck. Insurances suck. Pay sucks. NO raises. There's no attention placed on taking good care of patients. Supervisors and managers are awful. Crew bases are disgusting, Trucks have very high mileage and are beat up. it's no wonder employees feel like dirty diapers. The company's greatest asset is a few employees who try to do a good job.

Bring back Stan. It'll probably take him a year to clean up the mess that has accumulated since he left.

EMS

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone from middle managment and down feels the same pain from the "corner office", so you are not alone.

Cons

Delusional Upper Managment. They lost focus years ago. There are no rewards to employees

Quit trying to be "Award Winning" and get back to the basics. Stop intimidating and berating supervisors and employees.

Could be better

Current Employee - EMT-Basic
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great at getting "feet wet" in Emergency/EMS work, great first time EMS job. Flexible hours. Fun party events annually, okay benefits, awesome secretary/front desk

Cons

The turn around rate at this company is a bit disheartening. People shuffle through and go around, fairly often. Which is the norm in the EMS world in the Commonwealth. Action has a unique business plan, that is often a mystery to the staff who work there. Action does ALS, BLS, special needs transport, senior center van, wheel chair vans and "education". All of which doesn't have a particular direction. Often times contracts are lost, some rewarded replacement contracts are obtained but, if anything bad happens it "wasn't good for the company anyway" is the general consensus. I remember this happening with a several cities/municipalities.

If you are looking at some serious BLS emergency work, go somewhere else. There aren't many BLS 911 shifts, and management makes it so inner facility transfers and dialysis are going to be the bread and butter of your world. Take that as your grain of salt.

The staff, while friendly, is a bit like high school. There are the "popular" ones and then everyone else. I shifted between both groups, so I've seen what it is like. Unless you are per-diem, this definitely affects your daily life. Senior staff, who have been there a while, are sometimes treated poorly by management. The lack of raises is a pretty common problem. There used to be 5% raises across the board, now 2% is the norm (if anything). Don't be surprised if the person driving "sped" vans is making more than you. The company also totally lacks loyalty to people who has "paid dues". Often I'd see senior staff be fired or forced to leave, and then replaced with staff who aren't as good, and they are paid less of a rate (even if they have same level experience). Middle Management is put in tough position and if they don't "tow the line"; they are quickly ostracized. Not a lot of room for growth unfortunately, If you ask for more training (such as dispatch) you'll be given a list of reasons why that isn't a good idea. I was told by a middle manager that it was "because you could leave us, if we trained you more" which doesn't sit well. It shows a totally lack of faith for the lower staff.

The lack of training within the company is sad. There is an FTO program, that hasn't really changed since its rushed inception in mid 2000's. Due to the high turn-over rate, there isn't much room or investment in the employees.

HR is horrible to get in touch with. It will take an act of congress/god if you are trying to contact them. But if they want to get in touch with you, all of the phone lines seem to work rather effectively. I had one friend leave this company, and the HR dismissed any requests from said former employee after they left. It was as if a relationship of friendship was never there. Watch out for "cute" games, such as "lost OEMS approval numbers". I had many friends who didn't get awarded hours for training.

Bottom-line, if you want to be in this industry long-term, you may be better suited elsewhere.

Happy Employees are key, HR is horrible at getting back to anyone. Treat 911 contracts better, don't send dedicated trucks for transfers.