Action For Boston Community Development

John J. Drew

1. Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at Action For Boston Community Development (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse culture, great workplace, great management

Cons

Non-profit small staff, local, small

2. Antiquated non-profit struggling to keep up with competitors

I have been working at Action For Boston Community Development

Pros

Friendly co-workers; depending on supervisor - flexible hours and opportunity for upward mobility; and, large reach.

Cons

Out of touch executive management; consistent cuts to benefits; poor handling of financial accounts; lack of transparency; CEO passion projects not rooted in community need; and, exceedingly high turnover.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation for all staff, but especially case workers; invest in development; identify and address problems and weaknesses of ABCD (funding, competitiveness, staff turnover, etc.); increase HR and Finance transparency; and, encourage older staff to retire.

3. student intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Action For Boston Community Development (Less than a year)

Pros

treat intern as employee and provide useful feedback

Cons

I didn't have lots of chance to interact with people from the main office

5. Purchase Assistant

I worked at Action For Boston Community Development

Pros

Everyone is welcoming, the job schedule is very flexible.

Cons

The whole job environment is low paced, probably because the pay is not high.it is not very challenging.

Advice to Management

speed up the pace, and increase the pay rate.

Poor Utilization of Employees' Abilities

I have been working at Action For Boston Community Development

Pros

I worked at ABCD's University High School and I felt that they had a strong investment in their students and genuinely wanted to make a difference in their lives. The teachers and faculty seemed to know the students very well and their was a level of understanding between them.

Cons

While at UHS I would constantly hear people complain that they were understaffed and under-funded which seemed (though founded in some level of truth) odd considering I saw the staff spending a lot of time just sitting around and not getting work done. It's not that all of the employees are like that, and the teachers always seemed to be getting work done, but some of the people in administration and counseling seemed to waste a lot of their time. Meanwhile the volunteers they had working their for three weren't really given any tasks to complete. The volunteers could have been doing simple tasks like answering the door, sorting files, etc. Tasks that are necessary but more menial and beneath the majority of the employees' payrolls, but still necessary to the organization's ability to function.

7. Entry level assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Action For Boston Community Development

Pros

Good camaraderie. Young staff, very sociable and fun community to work in. Easy to form relationships with staff and clients. Fun environment.

Cons

Inexperienced managers. Poor direction from young managers. Questionable business tactics from certain employees who are given too much power. None of the employees plan to stay for very long.

8. ABCD has mission is to empower families to overcome poverty yet the pay, benefits and culture tell another story

I worked at Action For Boston Community Development

Pros

Working with youths and families to access services is important work. Families genuinely appreciate the support as the need is great.

Cons

Management is verbally disrespectful, resources are wasted at an ad nausium rate. Perhaps more attention to monitoring waste could lead to pay rates that actually do lift people out of poverty. I'd like to see their leadership live the model of kindness and respect and reward supervisor's and managers for this type work ethic. Also, more attention needs to be paid to nepotism, workplace relationships.I swear, if you're not related to or in relationship with someone, you can just forget about working there or getting ahead.

Advice to Management

Speak and act in a respectful manner towards employees and discourage nepotism or work-place intimate relationship's. Hire people that can actually empathize with the population you serve, stop wasting resources and improve pay. I mean, $12/hr for a position requiring a college degree? Seriously, it's shamful. Get it together!

9. Great place to do good

Former Employee - Youth Services Specialist, SummerWorks in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Youth Services Specialist, SummerWorks in Boston, MA

I worked at Action For Boston Community Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ABCD does a lot of different things so there are many opportunities to join the team that most interests you. ABCD employees are fun to work with and care about what they do. Good place to help create meaningful and positive social impact in sustainable ways, to form valuable relationships and to feel a part of the Boston community. Also a good place to network.

Cons

You're working to make a positive difference for others in the community, not to bring home huge bucks. Also, though most employees are highly qualified and dedicated, some are more capable than others.

Advice to Management

My relationships with upper management were always quite positive, engaging and down-to-earth. Keep it up.

10. Great mission and solid organization

I have been working at Action For Boston Community Development

Pros

Great growth opportunities for those who push to do well and want to exceed

Cons

Not as innovative as they could be

11. Worst place I have ever worked

I have been working at Action For Boston Community Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really can't think of any.

Cons

Benefits are awful - 2 weeks vacation no sick time. Employees have negative outlook.

RSS Feed </> Embed