ActivEngage Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
ActivEngage Co-Founder & CEO Todd Smith
Todd Smith

Great benefits, but not a longterm job

Former Employee - VSA in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - VSA in Maitland, FL

I worked at ActivEngage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits-free lunches twice a month, free gym membership, free insurance benefits, free onsite massages, laid back dress code, spirit weeks

Cons

high turnover, expect alot from you because they hire and then fire people without notice, not enough staff to handle work load, very monotonous,you have to ask for a bathroom break, no sick pay, management and team leads act like they do stuff but really they just walk around

Advice to Management

actually chat for more than an hour

2. aE Review

Current Employee - VSA
    Current Employee - VSA

I have been working at ActivEngage

Pros

Great insurance (you really can't beat not having to pay for insurance unless you have dependents), free gym membership, free massages once a week (granted the massage therapist will talk your skull off and you can never actually make an appointment with her).

Cons

Annoying employees who are unprofessional, lack of communication, highly critical of every aspect of the job. People would probably work there longer if upper management wasn't such a joke (see comments below).

Advice to Management

Act like management - this isn't a social and we don't care about your personal life, I don't want to hear about how you really want McDonalds, or about your ex boyfriend, I don't want to see what you pinned on Pinterest last week or watch YouTube videos. Your job is to make sure that the office is functioning. Don't play favorites, don't give people promotions who are undeserving and who can't even properly do their job in the first place and expect them to do more. Promotions should never be given to someone just because they are a better lap dog than others. Start communicating with your employees, never have I seen a company that won't pay to have everyone come in a one time to have meeting to understand what they need to know about their jobs. When people file a complaint about another employee it should be taken seriously and not pushed aside because they are your friend. My biggest problem with activEngage is the attendance policy that was drafted in April and they decided to count things from January against people, that's pretty unethical.

3. Keep Looking

Former Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at ActivEngage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free health care benefits for employees and casual dress code (within reason or as long as your management's favorite, then your butt can hang out of your shorts).

Cons

Almost everything about activEngage is a con. It's poorly managed with very low ethics. If you're fresh out of school, it's not so bad. I was told flat out by management that they do not believe in a work home life balance. Schedules are changed on a whim with no consideration for employees and upper management is the very definition of not helpful. After research of the company you may feel like things will be great, they won't be. You'll think they're is room for growth, there's not unless you keep your head down and work while learning how to kiss butt just the way management likes it. You'll also have it thrown in your face that $12.00 an hour is great for this kind of work while consistently placing you in a fast moving, high stress work environment (complete with management yelling out to do more or pointing out how you just messed up in front of everyone). They simply don't hire enough people and when they do, more than half quit within the first couple of weeks so there will never be enough people to handle the work load. The free lunches and massage is just a cover for everything they do wrong and if you rock the boat, they'll be sure to remind you of how great these benefits are. Finally while you forge ahead to do a good job, regardless of the circumstances you face, be sure to keep a good attitude. Something as small as an eye roll will land you in talks with management about your attitude while theirs is never adressed.

Advice to Management

Get an education, some people skills, and learn to close your mouth. Temper tantrums are for 2 year olds, and we expect that you would have grown out of them. To the upper management in Florida, take a good hard look at your team and I'm sure you'll find they simply don't align with the company's goals or provide a professional atmosphere. And for the rare person working hard to get ahead (all two of them at this office) reward them. Finally work to find unification between the two offices; being yelled at by management from another office that does not see the circumstances is counterproductive.

The Honest Review

Former Employee - VSA in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - VSA in Orlando, FL

I worked at ActivEngage

Pros

Before I go into the Pros and Cons of this company, I want the reader to know a couple things. You are going to get the most and complete HONEST review from a former employee here. I hope I am going to speak for every employee that is currently at the company and every employee that is a former employee. If you read some of the reviews on here with 5 Stars, please do not read them as these reviews are coming straight from upper management on purpose to help balance out the poor reviews. Without this balance, this overall company rating would be non existent. With that said, the ONLY PRO in this company is the good healthcare, food truck every two weeks, the gym membership, and the on site massages. The Foosball table and the ping pong table are broken. Sorry to burst that bubble. These benefits are good to some but keep in mind that they are only there to balance out the CON. I really believe that some employees are really stuck at this company because of the benefits. I am here to tell you. There are better companies out there that provide so much more than child's toys. They are inciting for a reason, to keep you there at the company so you can pick up more chats. Really think about it. If any of these benefits were not in place, would you keep coming to work ? It is the perfect bait for this company to keep some employees 2-5 years. The smart ones or the ones who can afford to, leave before it's to late. Do not get stuck here! I do know that the bait of all these benefits are inciting, but things lose there shine after a certain amount of time. Reconsider. Reconsider. Reconsider.

Cons

I love how Glassdoor states to say in this box "Put some of the downfalls of this company" You know why? Because there are many. With my short time at this company, I saw 2-3 upper management employees leave. Divisions Managers. Not Supervisors. Division Managers. They didn't give notice. We didn't congratulate them for moving to a bigger company. They got up and left. And to be honest, I don't even know what they did. I believe they just sit in their offices on Facebook until it is honestly time to reprimand someone. Which was all the time. They don't really have anything to do. They will roam up and downstairs and try to find something to do. Either bother the employees trying to chat or try to befriend you, even though they won't remember who you are. It is true that you will be written up for every thing that you do in this company. If you walk incorrectly, you will be written up. It honestly diminishes morale for the entire company. Then it starts gossip. The "fun" "Google Centric" atmosphere is all a facade. It is all there to bait you into the company. The videos you see online, the pictures you see, and the reviews from other companies with editors you have never heard of. It is all smoke and mirrors. Please trust me on this. The main CON of this company is common sense. I don't think anyone but our CEOs really have an education. Upper Management and Supervisors do not have degrees. So it doesn't surprise me that there is no common sense in this company. Let me explain more in detail. Your first week you will start chatting after your initial two week training. You will be on one chat for one week. Then, next week you will move on to 2-3 chats. The maximum they will allow you to take is 3 chats. And trust me, that is plenty. Knowing that, the company has bit off more than they can chew. It has been like this the entire time the company has been in existence. They chat for over 1,000 car dealerships. Which means you will be getting a lot of chats. If you are full time which is 40 hours a week, you will be chatting with 3 chatters all day long. Which can be incredibly stressful and also diminishes morale with the people you are working with because there is never breathing room in your day. So here is the question. Why not hire MORE PEOPLE? If you are having X amount off chats coming in everyday, why not try to average them and hire ENOUGH people to deal with them. Clients pay a lot of money to have this chat service for their dealerships. And most of the chats coming in get missed which is a HUGE MISSED OPPORTUNITY for the dealership. Which then the dealership calls and they are angry with you because you can't pick up all the chats. If the company would have one mass hiring off site to cope with the amount of chatters that come in, then things at the company would be a lot different. Trust me, I do know management is reading this right now. I want to say hi! Now I would like to say, what are you doing with your life? Do you honestly enjoy being there? Get rid of the food truck, the massages, the healthcare and just hire more people. Why is it so difficult? You are doing your employees and your clients a huge disservice for being so naive. This is for the CEOs. Bring in a consultant to reevaluate everyone's position in the company. Because there are honestly people in the company that do absolutely nothing. They are wasting your time and burning holes in your pockets. I can count a handful of people that are on their phones all day, on Facebook, pursuing other positions, and go for 2-4 hour lunches ON THE CLOCK. I am being absolutely serious. I had befriended some upper management employees that questioned what they are going to do today because they had no structure and because they were never directed to do anything. There needs to be a complete and overhaul of management. You allow them to get away with too much and they are doing NOTHING to better your company. In fact, get rid of half of your management and put those dollars in the paychecks of your VSA chatters. The VSA Chatters are the company's bread and butter. The chatters need to be happy. If your ground workers are not happy, they will get up and leave like some of the employees I have worked with while I was there. It will only take time for the whole VSA Team to conspire against you and all walk out at the same time. Then our Team Leaders and Upper Management Team would have to chat and really see how it is and what chatting has become. You will lose clients and you will lose the company. Favoritism and Work Politics pay a huge part in this company as well. You must be liked. If not, you will be pushed out of the company, simple as that. It is a High School atmosphere. You can't wear hooded jackets with a hood, you can't have your phone out, you are timed on bathroom breaks, you will be talked to if you are late by seconds, and you need permission for common sense practices. Overall, this company is incredibly naive, mismanaged, unorganized, and uneducated. I am giving you a gift of the most honest review for, not only future workers contemplating working here, but also the current Team Leaders, Divisions Managers, Performance Coaches, and the CEOs. I hope you take this review to heart rather than the "Positive Reviews" which only consist of empty promises, a few sentences, and five stars. If you are a former employee, I am sure you are sharing the same enthusiasm as me, glad to be out of there. If you are reading this and you currently work for this company, I do feel incredibly sorry for you. Please find something else. Take a stand. If you don't like how something is being managed, by all means stand up for yourself or with your fellow VSAs. The company can't run without you. You are the breathe of the company. Remember that. If you don't chat. That will spell disaster for the entire company and the livelihoods of everyone above you. “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” -Lincoln A.

Advice to Management

Please refer to the CON session of this review.

6. Amazing employment opportunity

I have been working at ActivEngage

Pros

ActivEngage affords it's employees excellent work experience and perks that rival some of the best companies in the US. The friendly management, relaxed environment, and focus on employee happiness is what separates AE from similar positions in the software technology industry. With top notch benefits, free food trucks twice a month, the ping pong table, and the free gym membership at the RDV sportsplex across the street, ActivEngage has taken an "employee satisfaction" stance with regard to the workplace, and it's amazing. If you focus you can quickly move up, and communicating with your managers about your career path within the company, and seeing it through, is one of the finest aspects of AE. It's one thing to like your job, but another entirely when you wake up in the morning excited to go to work. AE is a big win.

Cons

Sometimes people park in my parking spot.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

I've been here over two years and have experience in multiple departments!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL

I have been working at ActivEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the culture here and the overall appreciation they have for their employees. Not many companies cater to the personal well being of their employees like this one does. They provide insurance benefits for maintaining your health, gym membership to promote fitness, organic snacks & beverages to ensure your eating right and a masseuse on staff to alleviate stress from daily activities!

Cons

The schedule does have a downside when working in certain departments. Weekends and hours outside of the normal 8-5 schedule may be required in certain roles worked in the company.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to allow honest feedback from employees aside from the standard employee surveys and suggestion box.

8. A great company to grow with !

I have been working at ActivEngage

Pros

ActivEngage is a relatively young company, going on 8 years now in existence if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of things to love. Outside of the amazing benefits package (full Health, Dental, and Vision through UnitedHealthcare - food trucks - RDV membership, etc.), the environment itself is just amazing. After a few months you feel like you're truly part of a family and going to a home away from home as opposed to a job. The owners are very active and interact with everyone fairly regularly, which is something that did not happen at my last job. It's a young, fun, and energetic company to be a part of.

Cons

If I had to point out a con it would be that sometimes communication is lacking, you're not always sure what's going to come next. The chat industry is pretty fast paced and always changing so that may have something to do with it. Again the company itself is young and growing at an insane speed so I imagine that comes with it. More management training could help also since alot of the management team is new to it.

Advice to Management

Stop being so obvious with who your favorites are. Level the playing field for everyone! For the most part the leadership team is amazing except for a sour grape or two.

Virtual Sales Associate

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Maitland, FL

I have been working at ActivEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free health care. Free gym membership. Good location.

Cons

Beware. This company is not what the say they are. They claim to care about their employees. Untrue. Middle management is bad, and has favorites. Senior management could care less.

Advice to Management

Really listen to your employees. If you say this is a great place to work then make it that way.

Not recommended for most

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at ActivEngage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Benefits: Free on-site massages weekly, good insurance (one tier is completely paid by them for employee only), discounts on co-pay at a chiropractor, free gym membership, 2 free lunches per month in the form of food trucks, a good amount of paid days off per year, casual dress code, music is playing, free coffee and snacks in the breakroom - These are the things they will try to sell you on. It sounds great in theory, until you get here and start seeing the downsides to the company. -Pay is okay, though it varies as time goes by. I was hired at $10. Later VSAs were hired at $11. It lowers morale to find out people hired after you are making more than you because they were hired in at a higher rate. -Shift differentials for mid, late, and weekend shifts -Can be promoted rather quickly since company is growing and adding new positions -Much better than working in a call center, though it is a similar environment - cubicles, teams, team leaders, etc -They offer a school schedule to help those taking classes -Variety of shifts since we are open 6am-10pm Mon-Fri and 6am-9pm Sat & Sun.

Cons

-No 401k match at all. This seemed strange to me given all the other benefits they offer. -NO communication between upper management or to employees. For the VSAs, if a change happens, an announcement is made on the floor but any VSA on break, lunch, or off that day doesn't hear it. I routinely missed announcements on days off or even on lunches and only found out in passing from another employee. -No immediate raise for promotions. You don't see a raise until your next yearly review. You can actually end up with lower pay if you were receiving a differential as a VSA because as a manager, you don't get differential. This means you are making less than the VSAs you are managing. They claim this is because they do not want you to go for a promotion just for the higher pay. That seems like a cop out, in my opinion. -Favoritism. Some people are fired rather quickly for performance issues or attendance while other people can be absolutely horrible and keep their jobs. Some get a verbal warning for something while others do not. -Positions change and evolve since they are growing and this can mean that what you like most about your position could be move to another position. -Breaks are only to be 5 minutes (and are referred to as a brb) and they tell you what you can do on them. Smokers can't smoke on their brbs, for example. You are supposed to use them only to go to the bathroom and/or get a drink.

Advice to Management

-Communicate with each other as well as the VSAs. An announcement on the floor doesn't cut it. -Think before making decisions. -Take responsibility for your actions. -Support your lower managers. -Stop trying to be hip by calling breaks "brbs" and such. -Treat your employees fairly.

It's a learning experience.

I worked at ActivEngage

Pros

Benefits are about it. Company-paid health insurance is a nice perk.

Cons

Where to start? There is a terrible lack of communication between upper management, the two offices, VSA's, so on and so forth. Change is constant and no one is ever on the same page. Performance coaches and team leads having personal, sometimes too personal, relationships with their employees. Favoritism is rampant. Performance really isn't a factor. Nothing is taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Instead of little things that don't matter, reward employees for going above and beyond. Take suggestions seriously. Start planning ahead and treat your employees better. The cons far outweigh the benefits, and you need to take action if you want to keep the turnover rate low.

RSS Feed </> Embed