ActivEngage Reviews

2.8
ActivEngage Co-Founder & CEO Todd Smith
Todd Smith

1. Honestly, I love this place

I have been working at ActivEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People complain about the littlest things, it's ridiculous. Don't like the music? Too bad. Don't like that you have to ask to use the restroom or get a quick break? Too bad. Didnt get promoted? Maybe you're the issue. Every company I've worked for, personally, has issues. The breaks/restroom thing is normal. So is the music (try working at a department store or Disney). This place is pretty great, yeah we can work on communication but Rome wasn't built in a day. The people are nice, the job is not for everyone (just like a call center isn't), food trucks and massages are nice perks. It's called a job, you get paid for it. If it were fun and aimed to please you, you'd be paying to do it.

Cons

Communication is key. Need to find a better way of getting information out to people. Make sure your managers know and fully understand and then let your specialists know. If they have questions, the team leads and PCS should be able to answer fully.

Advice to Management

Just keep improving. This is still a baby company, there's lots of room for growth and change. I like the direction ito taking so far

Good enough for now

Current Employee - VSA

Pros

Overall, it makes an okay temporary gig.

Cons

Yes, it's repetitive. Yes, it's incredibly busy. Yes, you have to ask to use the bathroom. My biggest issue with ActivEngage is the training. The training is truly a trainwreck mess. It's so incredibly disorganized and it's a shame because the trainers do a great job, but there's so much conflicting information and opinions in the office that you're pretty much learning how to do something or handle a situation one way and then once you're out on the floor you're corrected over and over and over again. It's confusing, it makes you go "wait.. what? but so-and-so just told me to say this/phrase it this way" Everyone wants you to do it their way and it almost becomes more like a clash of egos, rather than actual helpful guidance. When we receive a new deal in an entirely different industry than what we're trained in we're expected to know it by reading a page long guide that offers zero help on the specifics of what we are dealing with. We don't get time to look at these new websites we are representing (would kind of help to know what the product is?), to review new models of XYZ, or to even read our emails.

Advice to Management

Better training or ongoing training when new deals come into play and we're expected to chat about something we have no knowledge of. In fact, tell lower management to stop relying so much on email. Meetings aren't utilized nearly as much as they should be. We know the loyalty lies with the dealerships and that after 90 days, we could be written up for the slightest hiccup. Knowing this in no way helps morale and no amount of free lunches could fix that. Being that majority of the reviews mention favoritism as an issue,...maybe look into this?

Here is the breakdown, Simple and easy to understand.

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate

I have been working at ActivEngage full-time

Pros

• The two CEO's seem like cool dudes, really fun to talk to - Get to know them, everyone else is not worth your time. •Free massages and healthcare. That's about it.

Cons

• Be prepared to ask to use the bathroom, EVERY. TIME. In fact, multiple times I've asked to use the bathroom and been told "Can't you wait?" Are you really trying to keep me from performing normal bodily functions? • Lower management is a joke, "Performance coaches" "Team leaders" straight up a joke. Most of them if not all have no education in actual professional management and BELIEVE ME. It reflects that. • Lower management will talk about you behind you back - Is this high school? I don't care about your gossip or what you think the way someone looks. I'm here to work, get this nonsense out of here. •Promotions are based on favoritism, not your productivity. Are you a social butterfly and can suck up to management, go to lunch with them and Meet outside of the workplace? You will be promoted, even if your performance is terrible. •Be prepared to listen to NSYNC, Brittany spears, Disney Frozen soundtrack for hours, Miley sirus over the loudspeakers for HOURS EVERYDAY YOU ARE HERE! I think one of the Team leaders has a thing for Country music from 7am till the afternoon as well? By the way - you can't pop in some earbuds and listen to your own stuff while you work, this is absolutely unacceptable. •Scheduling is ridiculous, be prepared to be FORCED to work weekends (By the way, Weekends are basically an "After thought", they are understaffed and insanely stressful) •This company used to be much more bearable to work with - You used to be able to take a break when needed? Stressed out about your last chatter, ask for a 4-5 min break. This is gone and no longer possible. In conclusion, its just a stepping stone - Don't expect a good career from this company - If you need money, apply. Once you're settled move on the better and greater things.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Massages and Food trucks and just pay your employees more. Promote based on performance, not because someone is your friend.

aE Review

Current Employee - VSA

Pros

Great insurance (you really can't beat not having to pay for insurance unless you have dependents), free gym membership, free massages once a week (granted the massage therapist will talk your skull off and you can never actually make an appointment with her).

Cons

Annoying employees who are unprofessional, lack of communication, highly critical of every aspect of the job. People would probably work there longer if upper management wasn't such a joke (see comments below).

Advice to Management

Act like management - this isn't a social and we don't care about your personal life, I don't want to hear about how you really want McDonalds, or about your ex boyfriend, I don't want to see what you pinned on Pinterest last week or watch YouTube videos. Your job is to make sure that the office is functioning. Don't play favorites, don't give people promotions who are undeserving and who can't even properly do their job in the first place and expect them to do more. Promotions should never be given to someone just because they are a better lap dog than others. Start communicating with your employees, never have I seen a company that won't pay to have everyone come in a one time to have meeting to understand what they need to know about their jobs. When people file a complaint about another employee it should be taken seriously and not pushed aside because they are your friend. My biggest problem with activEngage is the attendance policy that was drafted in April and they decided to count things from January against people, that's pretty unethical.

Keep Looking

Former Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at ActivEngage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free health care benefits for employees and casual dress code (within reason or as long as your management's favorite, then your butt can hang out of your shorts).

Cons

Almost everything about activEngage is a con. It's poorly managed with very low ethics. If you're fresh out of school, it's not so bad. I was told flat out by management that they do not believe in a work home life balance. Schedules are changed on a whim with no consideration for employees and upper management is the very definition of not helpful. After research of the company you may feel like things will be great, they won't be. You'll think they're is room for growth, there's not unless you keep your head down and work while learning how to kiss butt just the way management likes it. You'll also have it thrown in your face that $12.00 an hour is great for this kind of work while consistently placing you in a fast moving, high stress work environment (complete with management yelling out to do more or pointing out how you just messed up in front of everyone). They simply don't hire enough people and when they do, more than half quit within the first couple of weeks so there will never be enough people to handle the work load. The free lunches and massage is just a cover for everything they do wrong and if you rock the boat, they'll be sure to remind you of how great these benefits are. Finally while you forge ahead to do a good job, regardless of the circumstances you face, be sure to keep a good attitude. Something as small as an eye roll will land you in talks with management about your attitude while theirs is never adressed.

Advice to Management

Get an education, some people skills, and learn to close your mouth. Temper tantrums are for 2 year olds, and we expect that you would have grown out of them. To the upper management in Florida, take a good hard look at your team and I'm sure you'll find they simply don't align with the company's goals or provide a professional atmosphere. And for the rare person working hard to get ahead (all two of them at this office) reward them. Finally work to find unification between the two offices; being yelled at by management from another office that does not see the circumstances is counterproductive.

Great benefits, but not a longterm job

Former Employee - VSA in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - VSA in Maitland, FL

I worked at ActivEngage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits-free lunches twice a month, free gym membership, free insurance benefits, free onsite massages, laid back dress code, spirit weeks

Cons

high turnover, expect alot from you because they hire and then fire people without notice, not enough staff to handle work load, very monotonous,you have to ask for a bathroom break, no sick pay, management and team leads act like they do stuff but really they just walk around

Advice to Management

actually chat for more than an hour

The Honest Review

Former Employee - VSA in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - VSA in Orlando, FL

Pros

Before I go into the Pros and Cons of this company, I want the reader to know a couple things. You are going to get the most and complete HONEST review from a former employee here. I hope I am going to speak for every employee that is currently at the company and every employee that is a former employee. If you read some of the reviews on here with 5 Stars, please do not read them as these reviews are coming straight from upper management on purpose to help balance out the poor reviews. Without this balance, this overall company rating would be non existent. With that said, the ONLY PRO in this company is the good healthcare, food truck every two weeks, the gym membership, and the on site massages. The Foosball table and the ping pong table are broken. Sorry to burst that bubble. These benefits are good to some but keep in mind that they are only there to balance out the CON. I really believe that some employees are really stuck at this company because of the benefits. I am here to tell you. There are better companies out there that provide so much more than child's toys. They are inciting for a reason, to keep you there at the company so you can pick up more chats. Really think about it. If any of these benefits were not in place, would you keep coming to work ? It is the perfect bait for this company to keep some employees 2-5 years. The smart ones or the ones who can afford to, leave before it's to late. Do not get stuck here! I do know that the bait of all these benefits are inciting, but things lose there shine after a certain amount of time. Reconsider. Reconsider. Reconsider.

Cons

I love how Glassdoor states to say in this box "Put some of the downfalls of this company" You know why? Because there are many. With my short time at this company, I saw 2-3 upper management employees leave. Divisions Managers. Not Supervisors. Division Managers. They didn't give notice. We didn't congratulate them for moving to a bigger company. They got up and left. And to be honest, I don't even know what they did. I believe they just sit in their offices on Facebook until it is honestly time to reprimand someone. Which was all the time. They don't really have anything to do. They will roam up and downstairs and try to find something to do. Either bother the employees trying to chat or try to befriend you, even though they won't remember who you are. It is true that you will be written up for every thing that you do in this company. If you walk incorrectly, you will be written up. It honestly diminishes morale for the entire company. Then it starts gossip. The "fun" "Google Centric" atmosphere is all a facade. It is all there to bait you into the company. The videos you see online, the pictures you see, and the reviews from other companies with editors you have never heard of. It is all smoke and mirrors. Please trust me on this. The main CON of this company is common sense. I don't think anyone but our CEOs really have an education. Upper Management and Supervisors do not have degrees. So it doesn't surprise me that there is no common sense in this company. Let me explain more in detail. Your first week you will start chatting after your initial two week training. You will be on one chat for one week. Then, next week you will move on to 2-3 chats. The maximum they will allow you to take is 3 chats. And trust me, that is plenty. Knowing that, the company has bit off more than they can chew. It has been like this the entire time the company has been in existence. They chat for over 1,000 car dealerships. Which means you will be getting a lot of chats. If you are full time which is 40 hours a week, you will be chatting with 3 chatters all day long. Which can be incredibly stressful and also diminishes morale with the people you are working with because there is never breathing room in your day. So here is the question. Why not hire MORE PEOPLE? If you are having X amount off chats coming in everyday, why not try to average them and hire ENOUGH people to deal with them. Clients pay a lot of money to have this chat service for their dealerships. And most of the chats coming in get missed which is a HUGE MISSED OPPORTUNITY for the dealership. Which then the dealership calls and they are angry with you because you can't pick up all the chats. If the company would have one mass hiring off site to cope with the amount of chatters that come in, then things at the company would be a lot different. Trust me, I do know management is reading this right now. I want to say hi! Now I would like to say, what are you doing with your life? Do you honestly enjoy being there? Get rid of the food truck, the massages, the healthcare and just hire more people. Why is it so difficult? You are doing your employees and your clients a huge disservice for being so naive. This is for the CEOs. Bring in a consultant to reevaluate everyone's position in the company. Because there are honestly people in the company that do absolutely nothing. They are wasting your time and burning holes in your pockets. I can count a handful of people that are on their phones all day, on Facebook, pursuing other positions, and go for 2-4 hour lunches ON THE CLOCK. I am being absolutely serious. I had befriended some upper management employees that questioned what they are going to do today because they had no structure and because they were never directed to do anything. There needs to be a complete and overhaul of management. You allow them to get away with too much and they are doing NOTHING to better your company. In fact, get rid of half of your management and put those dollars in the paychecks of your VSA chatters. The VSA Chatters are the company's bread and butter. The chatters need to be happy. If your ground workers are not happy, they will get up and leave like some of the employees I have worked with while I was there. It will only take time for the whole VSA Team to conspire against you and all walk out at the same time. Then our Team Leaders and Upper Management Team would have to chat and really see how it is and what chatting has become. You will lose clients and you will lose the company. Favoritism and Work Politics pay a huge part in this company as well. You must be liked. If not, you will be pushed out of the company, simple as that. It is a High School atmosphere. You can't wear hooded jackets with a hood, you can't have your phone out, you are timed on bathroom breaks, you will be talked to if you are late by seconds, and you need permission for common sense practices. Overall, this company is incredibly naive, mismanaged, unorganized, and uneducated. I am giving you a gift of the most honest review for, not only future workers contemplating working here, but also the current Team Leaders, Divisions Managers, Performance Coaches, and the CEOs. I hope you take this review to heart rather than the "Positive Reviews" which only consist of empty promises, a few sentences, and five stars. If you are a former employee, I am sure you are sharing the same enthusiasm as me, glad to be out of there. If you are reading this and you currently work for this company, I do feel incredibly sorry for you. Please find something else. Take a stand. If you don't like how something is being managed, by all means stand up for yourself or with your fellow VSAs. The company can't run without you. You are the breathe of the company. Remember that. If you don't chat. That will spell disaster for the entire company and the livelihoods of everyone above you. “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” -Lincoln A.

Advice to Management

Please refer to the CON session of this review.

9. Amazing employment opportunity

Pros

ActivEngage affords it's employees excellent work experience and perks that rival some of the best companies in the US. The friendly management, relaxed environment, and focus on employee happiness is what separates AE from similar positions in the software technology industry. With top notch benefits, free food trucks twice a month, the ping pong table, and the free gym membership at the RDV sportsplex across the street, ActivEngage has taken an "employee satisfaction" stance with regard to the workplace, and it's amazing. If you focus you can quickly move up, and communicating with your managers about your career path within the company, and seeing it through, is one of the finest aspects of AE. It's one thing to like your job, but another entirely when you wake up in the morning excited to go to work. AE is a big win.

Cons

Sometimes people park in my parking spot.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

I've been here over two years and have experience in multiple departments!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL

I have been working at ActivEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the culture here and the overall appreciation they have for their employees. Not many companies cater to the personal well being of their employees like this one does. They provide insurance benefits for maintaining your health, gym membership to promote fitness, organic snacks & beverages to ensure your eating right and a masseuse on staff to alleviate stress from daily activities!

Cons

The schedule does have a downside when working in certain departments. Weekends and hours outside of the normal 8-5 schedule may be required in certain roles worked in the company.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to allow honest feedback from employees aside from the standard employee surveys and suggestion box.

11. A great company to grow with !

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Maitland, FL

Pros

ActivEngage is a relatively young company, going on 8 years now in existence if I'm not mistaken. There are a lot of things to love. Outside of the amazing benefits package (full Health, Dental, and Vision through UnitedHealthcare - food trucks - RDV membership, etc.), the environment itself is just amazing. After a few months you feel like you're truly part of a family and going to a home away from home as opposed to a job. The owners are very active and interact with everyone fairly regularly, which is something that did not happen at my last job. It's a young, fun, and energetic company to be a part of.

Cons

If I had to point out a con it would be that sometimes communication is lacking, you're not always sure what's going to come next. The chat industry is pretty fast paced and always changing so that may have something to do with it. Again the company itself is young and growing at an insane speed so I imagine that comes with it. More management training could help also since alot of the management team is new to it.

Advice to Management

Stop being so obvious with who your favorites are. Level the playing field for everyone! For the most part the leadership team is amazing except for a sour grape or two.

RSS Feed </> Embed