Activant Solutions (California)

Be The First To
Add Photos

Activant Solutions (California) President, CEO, and Director Pervez A. Qureshi

Pervez A. Qureshi

Pros:
  • "Excellent work/life balance policies, including work from home options"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Company allows flexiblity in schedeles which allows for a good work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Company upper management focused way too much on short-term numbers"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Limbo - the first circle = hopelessness.

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Yardley, PA

ProsInteresting work
Some good. talented employees

ConsBad management
Lack of direction and vision

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect and loyalty

Company needs clear direction.

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsGood People, good customers, good products.

ConsToo rigid in process. Need to think outside the box a bit. Too narrow focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift management to more forward thinkers versus 25 year vets who do not change with the markets.

There are better places to earn money than Activant

Sales - Yardley - Distribution (Current Employee)
Yardley, PA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsThe middle management did what they needed to - to help you get the answers you need. The Prophet 21 product is a strong product that competes well in the industry on many fronts.

ConsThere is no room for advancement. Senior Management - unless you are from the outside coming in for the first time or are one of their buddies - you wont ever get there. Customer Support was weak at best. Implementations hardly ever came in on target (higher than quoted) therefore less references.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people and customers are the most valuable assett after your products. Stop worrying about EBITA, work on product, support and longevity and EBITA will follow

Customer WHAT? Who needs customer service?

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsWorked from home which was great, missed the office politics, plentiful amounts of office BS and habitual slackers.

ConsMost co workers were ok. However, there were those that left unattended chose to play on the internet for the day, yes, the WHOLE day, day after day, week after week. Those of us with work ethic tended to get bad attitudes. And they wondered why I enjoyed working from home! I guess it boiled down to mgmt didnt care, this was and is happening right under their noses.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore laying off employees, review their past performance reviews and check their personal internet use. In addition, you might take into consideration who works weekends, holidays and rotating shifts without complaint. Not sure what guidelines are used for layoffs but maybe they need to be reviewed. Unbelievable that a complany with so many cheifs would be so mismanaged.

I was proud to work for Triad, not so much with Activant.

Employee (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsCo-workers and supervisors are the best around. Long term relationships with customers are rewarding. Job assignments with lots of versatility keep job boredom at bay.

ConsSupervisors & managers work hard to buffer the indifference (near hostility) of upper management towards the work force. The work force works hard to buffer the customer from the indifference (new hostility) of upper management from the customer. The customer has fewer and fewer reasons to invest in the "top of the line" when every corner is cut.
Every six months or so a new initiative is hatched. It gets a lot of fan fare, no follow through and never the funds or support needed for a successful campaign. Soon it is forgotten and yet another initiative planed. There have been dozens of them. Remember "do it once"? That was a successful, long lasting campaign from the 80's!
Meanwhile, I don't know a single field employee, (not familiar with the "in house employee" habits) be it sales, education or engineering who doesn't work many hours a week more than their paycheck reflects yet that does not constitute commitment at review time, it is expected. Dear Employee, Your company thanks you for your dedication to the well being and growth of the company. In recognition of your contributions we are awarding you with an NI and no merit increase,. Don't take it personally, we have to do it to someone in every department, every year, it's just your turn. Better luck next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoose the "us and them" mentality with both your customers and co-workers, yes we ARE co-workers. Granted, your pay is more than ours but you work for someone else too. Come back down to earth and realize you have not been successful. Please read these reviews as though they were your performance review. If they were, your next stop would be Monster.com. How bad is it going to have to get before you get some humility? Hiring consulting firms has proven to be an exercise in back slapping and ego inflation activity. Get back to basics. Call Ralph!

Bad Management

Technical Support Specialist Senior (Current Employee)
Hyannis, MA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsNice group of people in the team

ConsBAD management. Decisions made with no reasons, no advancement, alot of talk -- no action.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to employees -- you talk a good game to customers, but inside we all know it is a lie. It is hard to give a good impression to customers when you don't feel any support coming from mgmt

Some Things Will Never Change!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsThe people. Some of the most amazing people there. They were more like fmaily and friends than co workers.

ConsManagement has their own agenda. They do not care what you have to say as an employee. Just make your number. You tell them what they want to hear to close the deal. Tell them we will ship next month but ship it right away so we can cout the revenue. If they decide to not accept it, it is ok as we can recognize revenue twice! Sweet huh!

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend they update their resumes, as Activant is being readied for the take over. That is the reason they have more managers than they have salespeople.

All over the map

Austin, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsThe benefits package at Activant is very generous with the recent exception of the termination of matching funds for 401k contributions. In fact, there are many employees whose stated reason for working there are the comprehensive benefits. There are alot of bright people and the culture is positive, but very segmented.

ConsThere are alot of senior staff that have been with the company for way too long. Their skill sets and capabilities are no longer competitive in the industry, but it is almost impossible to get fired for incompotence at Activant. Very little emphasis is placed in achievment. Attempts at improvement are rewarded no matter what the outcome is. Activant is really 5 or 6 different companies with boundless redundancies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a few less "remote" executives that employees couldn't pick out of a line up. For god's sake... if your really worth high six figures then pack your bags and meet some of the people you will be responsible for. It seems like there is a new VP or GM every other week, but knowledge workers have been consistantly laid off for a year now... too many chefs spoil the broth.

Where would you be with out us?

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Prosthe other employees, the company's software program, potential

ConsWhen desicions are made, it either takes 4 to 6 months for something to start happening, or nothing changes. We are setup for failure from the start. Numerous employees give 110% or more of their effort and are receive 60-75% for their pay. The commission plans are set to reward you if you hit 100% or better, and if you hit that number you can expect a quota raise in the amount of your success. If you do not hit the 100% or great mark, you are stuck with "Decelorators". This is a great strategy to keep the company profitable and their sales team hoping to pay their bills.

Advice to Senior Managementif you value us, why wouldnt you pay us like it? Please dont set us up for failure, if we win so do you!

Activant losing ground with inconsistent management and unstable RIF decisions to pump up bottom line numbers........

Software Support (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

ProsMy division has a very loyal employee group from the sole proprietorship days that work very well together despite the lacking talents of the "new" corporate executive management team. We pride ourselves on maintaining the highest customer satisafaction producing an extremely loyal customer base ready and willing to provide prospect referrals. Even with the uncertainity of the next management move which most certainly includes additional RIF potential we still continuing to drive performance both in technology and support arenas.

ConsExecutive management has been unable to produce a focused, market-driven business plan based on the independent division strengths and weaknesses. Given the contraction of the current wholesale industry segment the ability of a company to work with their client base is imperative. This fact seems to be lost on those responsible for making or breaking this company. Seemingly arbitrary hirings increasing the executive salary load while reducing the "working" population with little regard as to the full impact these lost employees might actually have on the efficiency and effectiveness of the entire workgroup has made it difficult to remain.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your successful work teams instead of trying to force them to follow proven poor business practices. Listen to your customers -- ALL of them -- not just a selected few from specific platforms. Realize that communication is the MOST important practice in times of uncertainty. Stop working from the top down and realize that it is the employee not management that keeps a business viable. Respect the talent that you have!

Worked for Activant Solutions (California)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Activant Solutions (California) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Activant Solutions (California) CEO Pervez A. Qureshi. All 77 reviews posted anonymously by Activant Solutions (California) employees.