Activant Solutions (California)

Be The First To
Add Photos

Activant Solutions (California) President, CEO, and Director Pervez A. Qureshi

Pervez A. Qureshi

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance policies, including work from home options(in 3 reviews)

• Company allows flexiblity in schedeles which allows for a good work life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die(in 8 reviews)

• Company upper management focused way too much on short-term numbers(in 7 reviews)

Activant losing ground with inconsistent management and unstable RIF decisions to pump up bottom line numbers........

Software Support (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsMy division has a very loyal employee group from the sole proprietorship days that work very well together despite the lacking talents of the "new" corporate executive management team. We pride ourselves on maintaining the highest customer satisafaction producing an extremely loyal customer base ready and willing to provide prospect referrals. Even with the uncertainity of the next management move which most certainly includes additional RIF potential we still continuing to drive performance both in technology and support arenas.

ConsExecutive management has been unable to produce a focused, market-driven business plan based on the independent division strengths and weaknesses. Given the contraction of the current wholesale industry segment the ability of a company to work with their client base is imperative. This fact seems to be lost on those responsible for making or breaking this company. Seemingly arbitrary hirings increasing the executive salary load while reducing the "working" population with little regard as to the full impact these lost employees might actually have on the efficiency and effectiveness of the entire workgroup has made it difficult to remain.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your successful work teams instead of trying to force them to follow proven poor business practices. Listen to your customers -- ALL of them -- not just a selected few from specific platforms. Realize that communication is the MOST important practice in times of uncertainty. Stop working from the top down and realize that it is the employee not management that keeps a business viable. Respect the talent that you have!

Truth hurts sometimes but you have to learn to listen

Do Titles Really Mean Anything? (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsIf you Love Stress and a future that your unsure about, then come to Activant.

ConsTraining and education of employees simply does not exist. Career paths start and stop at square one.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. You do not keep people with empty promises and pipe dreams. You really should spend time looking at what the different locations have to offer vs what you think you see.

Consolidating redundancies is great but what is the down side and is it really practical in all cases, are you sure they are really redundant?

There are a lot of un-happy people within Activant and not just a single division or location, there are alot of people within the company, I think more then you imagine.

Activant -- wobbly foundation, not too late to shore it up?

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI found the size of work-group teams to be comfortable and I appreciated camaraderie among associates, though it tended to be the dark-humor type. I found support for some growth-oriented best business practices that you expect in larger, more main-stream technology companies.

ConsI never felt that Activant management really understood what it meant to be a market-driven company. In my time there, it swung back and forth between being sales-driven (i.e. chasing hard and fast for large customer opportunities and making myopic committments without factoring opportunity-cost) and being engineering-driven (i.e. creating products with features driven more by engineering-team technology bias than rational business-case analysis). As a result, I felt no sense of shared purpose or longer-term vision. Goals seemed very short-sighted and it felt like they were driven almost entirely by senior management bonus objectives. I grew pretty disillusioned with the focus on sale closure regardless of the costs or implications to employees and customers. From a peer-work perspective, I found Activant to be highly political. I found lots of people looking out exclusively for themselves, rather than a supportive team-oriented culture, with this behaviour getting more pronounced the higher you went up the management ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive products from a true market-driven product-management perspective. Enable a business-driven product management function which is empowered from the executive level and not subordinate to engineering, sales or marketing. Reduce senior management bonus compensation or add other longer-term business health measures into the bonus structure. Measure performance based on customer acceptance of delivery rather than invoice - shift measurement to customer satisfaction versus invoices. Work on instilling a culture of values among employees -- remove internal competition and kill the politics. Focus on external competition and internal team goals. Support growth and financial obligations with a greater contribution of growth from organic development and partnering.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Activant Solutions

Prophet 21 Employee (Current Employee) Yardley, PA

ProsFreedom to make your own decisions and limited management oversight allows individuals to produce on their own terms. It is fairly easy to obtain productivity and bonus goals.

ConsLimited to no opportunity to advance within the company, there is limited to no training offered, and employee reviews are rarely if ever conducted. Activant is owned by venture capitalists and has an excessive amount of debt and It appears that management decisions are driven by the outstanding debt and restrictions of the debt. Without the ability to refinance and the current economic issues lowering revenue the short term does not look good and I suspect more layoffs in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at middle management, nepotism, and cronyism

Goliath is struggling.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsThe company has been a market leader with ERP software and maintains a large customer base.

ConsSenior management in the Sales department has taken a very arrogant posture while attempting to go into new markets. Their product is one of the most expensive and in this economy, that's a dangerous attitude to take. Sales are at one of the lowest points in the company's history with no end in site for 2009.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to leave.

not what it was, and not very good it getting it done for the future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Livermore, CA

Prosthe front line people and mgrs, and customers are the best reason to work here

Consfinance driven, cuts deeply into resources, and asks alot of time to be invested by others to stay on top of it

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your customers and employess

It will get worse before it gets better

Finance (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSolid market position, many opportunities for improvement if you are motivated and able to work through the historic challenges

ConsShort term focus, although they talk about making people a priority, their actions go counter to this

Advice to Senior ManagementThe market is softer than you think, it will take more than expense control to get the company back on track

Listen to the people in closest contact with the customer

Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIndependent work environment - customer contact at the executive and ownership levels is very rewarding. I always take something positive and rewarding away from every new implementation.

Travel to different regions of the country provides a perspective of the U.S. that helps me appreciate the greatness of our country.

Peer interaction is great. There is a "learning" attitude within the workgroup that is refreshing and stimulating.

ConsTravel is becoming a big downside. With fewer seats on fewer planes, travel interuptions are a constant threat. Since most travel is done on employee time - leaving/returning home before or after the traditional workday - any interuptions reduce personal time at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore sensitivity to customer employee feedback regarding product developement.
    Offer professional development programs and classes.
    Provide travel aids to the employees with intense travel requirements. (ie.- help w/ airline club fees; allow partial expense reimbursement for luggage replacement; help w/ the expense of a spouse traveling once a year w/ immediate managers approval)

good for the resume, and thats about it

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Hyannis, MA

Prosdecent pay, nice group of people.

Conspoor management that was at another location. very poor training.
    I enjoyed the people that I worked with, but we were all very disappointed in the job.
    The management was not very helpful, we were thrown in the fire and expected to perform highly.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate a better performance based compensation package
    needs to be a better presence of corporate in the off site offices. there was no recognition given for positive customer feedback

Keep your resume up to date.

Impelmentation Consultant, Senior (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsNone I can think of. Serous downturn of the housing market has caused this company to become reactive. Look at other industries to work and build a career else ware.

ConsManagement is terrible. Communication is nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs to improve and a CEO with a vision not tunnel vision.

Worked for Activant Solutions (California)? Contribute to the Community!