Activant Solutions (California)

Updated November 12, 2014
2.3

Activant Solutions (California) President, CEO, and Director Pervez A. Qureshi
Pervez A. Qureshi

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance policies, including work from home options (in 3 reviews)

• Company allows flexiblity in schedeles which allows for a good work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die (in 8 reviews)

• Company upper management focused way too much on short-term numbers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Good Good Good Goodd

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Mgmt Team Good Mmt team

Cons

None that I can think of

Sell Sell

No work-life balance!

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Roselle, IL

I worked at Activant Solutions (California) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady paycheck
    Consistent work, so you know what to expect

Cons

No work-life balance!
    Long hours, most weeks way more then 40 hours with no overtime
    No yearly bonus

Treat your employees like people, not machines!

Was a great place to work when it was Triad. Had limited experience with Activant.

Former Employee - Telesales in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Telesales in Livermore, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Was a very positive work environment
    Club rewards was excellent for achievers
    Room for growth
    Benefits were good
    Pay was at par with job

Cons

Original owners sold to a larger corporation and the good feeling turned very corporate.
    Big guns came in and slashed teams.
    Lost the good vibe.

I really liked the managers that I worked for. To me the problem was the new company coming in -not the old.
    Just business as "usual"

Long Time Employee's Perspective

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I spent 17 years with Triad/Activant so I would rate my experience as overall very good. Opportunities were always present to move within the company. I held several positions in my time there and enjoyed most. Many wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Base sales compensation not the best. some of the senior management was firmly established which sometimes led to a business as usual approach.

Nothing specific

Acquired too much too fast- lsot good employeees in the scramble

Former Employee - Multiple Posotions in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Multiple Posotions in Austin, TX

I worked at Activant Solutions (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great. We stuck together through it all.

Cons

Management needs to spend some time in the trenches again to remember how their changes affect process. When the ownership changed (again) a lot of good people and years of product knowledge were lost.

Listen to your front line people and stop layoffs of the people with the most product knowledge

Original Company fan - Private equity as owners equals unsatisfied employees in the case of Activant.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many home based positions. Supervision is limited to crisis management. Do your job well and you will have more latitude to do your job.

Cons

Quarterly profit goals trump and long term growth strategy. Projects proposed and started for the entertainment and approval of management. Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die. Many remnants of said projects linger to clutter necessary work.

Short term goals (and long term goals for that matter) are the concern of staff, managers and directors. C level management should focus their attentions to the strategic positioning and the future of the company. Corporate worth isn't measured in 90 day increments.

Weak management dilutes opportunity for success

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

The employees within Activant made it a good place to be. As long as you worked with Directors and below, you had a good chance of success and satisfaction. Geographic location was also a consideration. I lived closed to the office, thus it was worth staying.

Cons

Poor management skills. VP and Sr VP titles handed out based on longevity vs. capabilities. Most VP level executives are simply waiting for their tour of duty to end. No feeling of responsibility toward employees under them. The world is theirs -- we simply live in it.

Build something. Stop hanging on. Offer visions and strategies, so employees know where the ship is headed. Come to terms with the fact that you are not the smartest people in the company, and let others contribute.

Although I was good at what I did and received good management reviews, I was always worried about losing my job

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Co-workers were some of the best people I have ever worked with. The benefits package and salary were highly competetive. Always had a flexible work schedule with no trouble getting time off.

Cons

Absolutely no formal training! My job was complex and it was virtually impossible for anyone to have the skill set and knowledge to complete the required job tasks. Learning was accomplished by asking my co-workers (and interupting their work) many times over and over through the course of a two year span of time. After two years, I pretty much knew what I was doing but still had to bother my colleages from time to time.

Management would only give raises to the elite employees...The chosen ones!!! All other employees (about 80% of the total work force) received no raises for several years.

Management never valued the employees. As stated earlier, no training or raises were provided. Also, great employees were either laid off or fired. There was never any recognition for a job well done and I never knew if I was doing a good job or not. There was very little effective communication between management and employees.

Value your employees!!! Quit focusing solely on the profit margin and create a positive work environment. Laying off good employees year after year to increase the bottom line will bite you on the rear end!

Too much reactionary cost cutting, need more strategic leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Large organization. Good people overall as employees.

Cons

Management is too focused on EBITDA and not enough attention is paid to growing the company. Too many platforms to manage effectively. Sr. Management seems a little too shortsighted and overcontrolling.

Hire good people and trust them to make decisions in their departments. Focus on growing the company's top-line and the EBITDA will follow. Lead by example.

Poor management from CEO down

Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Exposure to entire operations
    Good people (Not Senior Management)

Cons

Stagnation
    benefits are inadequate
    antiquated systems
    No thought out plans just shoot from the hip

Get rid of our CEO who is just incompetent, CFO who is just a political individual and the rest who don't know how to manage people and have no strategic plan except for "lets lay off" to make our numbers.