Activant Solutions (California)

Updated November 12, 2014
2.3

Activant Solutions (California) President, CEO, and Director Pervez A. Qureshi
Pervez A. Qureshi

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance policies, including work from home options (in 3 reviews)

• Company allows flexiblity in schedeles which allows for a good work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die (in 8 reviews)

• Company upper management focused way too much on short-term numbers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor management from CEO down

Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Exposure to entire operations
    Good people (Not Senior Management)

Cons

Stagnation
    benefits are inadequate
    antiquated systems
    No thought out plans just shoot from the hip

Get rid of our CEO who is just incompetent, CFO who is just a political individual and the rest who don't know how to manage people and have no strategic plan except for "lets lay off" to make our numbers.

New name- same horrible leadership

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Great customers, colleagues are great to work with

Cons

Poor management decisions have bad effects on the customers, management thinks that we have very satisfied customers, but they are wrong. Pervez was named CEO of the new Epicor- Epicor employees should get ready for your career to go down the drain. All the other posts on this company's thread are very much what I and so many others feel each and every day.

Outdated products, no organizational structure, no standard operating procedures, micro management, development doesn't listen to the customer's needs and satisfy them- they do what they want.

The only thing we can all pray for is that Apax Partners (the investment firm that bought Activant & Epicor to combine them) will see this site and take note that the Activant side of this company is hanging by a thread. If we loose too many more people we are at risk of implosion. Our customers are NOT happy and it seems to get worse daily.

Keep looking if you enjoy growing your career or technology skills

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Development Team in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Development Team in Yardley, PA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

There are some really great and talented people that work here. They offer an extremely competitive benefits package. They do pretty well salary wise, as long as you don't want raises.

Cons

I'll just start by saying that the biggest of con of working here is that you career will stagnate to the speed of a snail. This may not be a cons for some, but it was for me. I enjoy learning new technologies and creating new products. However, you will only have the opportunity to do this work if you are in upper management or are one of the chosen people.

They implement new development methodologies (SCRUM) without making any effort to remove the old processes. Everything stays the same while you are given more meetings and processes to follow. Eventually, they will implement so many processes and meetings that no work will get done. They are actually not that far from it now.

Since most of the upper management in the development team has been with the company for a very long time, there aren't really any new thoughts being brought into the development team. You are encouraged to bring new ideas to the table, however don't expect to be able to implement them or have them implemented. For some of the management, this has been their only job since they graduated college. Apathy runs rampant on the development team. Most of the staff just doesn't care.

You have a large talented staff. If you want to keep the strongest technologists, let them breathe and stop slowing their progress with meetings and processes. You will be shocked with the team that you have built if you just let them do what they do best, develop software.

Was a great place to work long ago. Senior and Middle management is sorely lacking in management skills

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

The people you work WITH across the country are a good group.

Cons

All executive management is concerned about is the bottom line. Sadly, eventually the fact that they have completely disregarded their employees will affect the bottom line in the end when they lose these people.

LISTEN to your employees dont just pretend that you are

The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Some good products available, however they are quickly becoming old and out of date.

Cons

Sadly, Activant cares only about EBIDTA and executive bonus. No concern whatsoever for customer satisfaction

Customer satisfaction is the only way to truly grow a business!

Wouldn't Recommend Activant

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Coworkers are some of the best people on the planet. I love working with them and I love the work I do. I have a lot of pride in the software I work on and look forward to it on a daily basis.

Cons

While understanding there is a recession, Activant continues to cut and cut and cut our benefits. No raise in three years. 401(k) matching removed. Total vacation hours held at one time cut to 80 hours. Forced vacation ("use it or lose it") in September right before the holidays, bonus elimination. It doesn't feel at all as though Activant cares about it's employees. We are simply tools to be used and tossed aside whenever.

Start valuing your employees! Three key components to a successful company: Employees, Customers and Shareholders. Stop only valuing the shareholders and start making an effort to do more for employees and customers. I love my job (the work I do) and desperately want to love the company to. Help make that happen.

Limbo - the first circle = hopelessness.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Interesting work
    Some good. talented employees

Cons

Bad management
    Lack of direction and vision

Treat employees with more respect and loyalty

Seems like a sinking ship?

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Ability to work from home with minimum pushback
    Centrally located facility
    Somewhat flexible hours
    Business casual environment
    Depending on department, no issues with scheduling time off

Cons

Devoted to profits, not employee morale
    Seems more apt to give perks to sales, not everyone else
    Poor review system
    Middle management could use an attitude adjustment

Stop sacrificing resources on the altar of profits. Customers and prospects are promised the world without a thought as to how it will be efficiently accomplished.

Some Things Will Never Change!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

The people. Some of the most amazing people there. They were more like fmaily and friends than co workers.

Cons

Management has their own agenda. They do not care what you have to say as an employee. Just make your number. You tell them what they want to hear to close the deal. Tell them we will ship next month but ship it right away so we can cout the revenue. If they decide to not accept it, it is ok as we can recognize revenue twice! Sweet huh!

I would recommend they update their resumes, as Activant is being readied for the take over. That is the reason they have more managers than they have salespeople.

Wake up Activant!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

They have acquired several solid vertical software products over the years. They still have many dedicated employees left from those acquisitions. (Although less and less each year.)

Cons

Activant does not value employees or customers. Both are treated a means to a $ end. They have no concept of vertical marketing. Their sales plan is a 'pick one' routine. This of course confuses the marketplace and each prospect. Major discounting is their best, most trusted sales plan. At last year's annual sls meeting they announced 2 major initiatives. (Net Promoter and a series of initiatives related to a $2M Bain Consulting gig.) Of course, similar to all upper mgt activities, neither initiative was ever mentioned after the meeting. These mgrs have no concept of the realtion of happy customers to success.
    Upper mgt can not be trusted and have no integrity. Just ask their employees, customers and vendors.

LISTEN to your employees and customers! Clean out upper mgt and start over. None of these people have any credibility in house or in the market.