Activant Solutions (California)

Not Happy

Current Employee - Ar Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Ar Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

if you are looking for a job where you dont have to do anything and no one will bother you this is it. However if you do want to work good luck trying to get anyone else to do so.

Cons

complete lack of management presence

get off the internet and do some work. Stop playing favorites

Good company to work for, but growth and acquisitions have stunted culture of company.

Former Employee - Sales in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Livermore, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Well respected product, long tenured employees with excellent knowledge of target markets. Well established and loyal customer base create very steady and reliable recurring revenue stream.

Cons

Economic downturn has heavily impacted target markets. Future direction of the company toward new growth markets or innovative products that will propel growth is not clear, as there does not appear to be any new, innovative thinking that will drive future growth. Service model has not adapted over time, and perceived value to customers is in question. Slightly lower comp plans than is typical in most other software/service sales positions.

Return to a sincere "customer first" support model that delivers real value to existing customers based upon their stated desires. Look for growth markets and technologies that will broaden the offering and drive future expansion in new directions (difficult to achieve, but critical to future success). Honor the contributions of long-term employees who have built the foundation.

Limbo - the first circle = hopelessness.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Interesting work
    Some good. talented employees

Cons

Bad management
    Lack of direction and vision

Treat employees with more respect and loyalty

Company needs clear direction.

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Good People, good customers, good products.

Cons

Too rigid in process. Need to think outside the box a bit. Too narrow focused.

Shift management to more forward thinkers versus 25 year vets who do not change with the markets.

There are better places to earn money than Activant

Current Employee - Sales - Yardley - Distribution in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Sales - Yardley - Distribution in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

The middle management did what they needed to - to help you get the answers you need. The Prophet 21 product is a strong product that competes well in the industry on many fronts.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. Senior Management - unless you are from the outside coming in for the first time or are one of their buddies - you wont ever get there. Customer Support was weak at best. Implementations hardly ever came in on target (higher than quoted) therefore less references.

Your people and customers are the most valuable assett after your products. Stop worrying about EBITA, work on product, support and longevity and EBITA will follow

Customer WHAT? Who needs customer service?

Former Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Worked from home which was great, missed the office politics, plentiful amounts of office BS and habitual slackers.

Cons

Most co workers were ok. However, there were those that left unattended chose to play on the internet for the day, yes, the WHOLE day, day after day, week after week. Those of us with work ethic tended to get bad attitudes. And they wondered why I enjoyed working from home! I guess it boiled down to mgmt didnt care, this was and is happening right under their noses.

Before laying off employees, review their past performance reviews and check their personal internet use. In addition, you might take into consideration who works weekends, holidays and rotating shifts without complaint. Not sure what guidelines are used for layoffs but maybe they need to be reviewed. Unbelievable that a complany with so many cheifs would be so mismanaged.

I was proud to work for Triad, not so much with Activant.

Former Employee - Employee in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Co-workers and supervisors are the best around. Long term relationships with customers are rewarding. Job assignments with lots of versatility keep job boredom at bay.

Cons

Supervisors & managers work hard to buffer the indifference (near hostility) of upper management towards the work force. The work force works hard to buffer the customer from the indifference (new hostility) of upper management from the customer. The customer has fewer and fewer reasons to invest in the "top of the line" when every corner is cut.
    Every six months or so a new initiative is hatched. It gets a lot of fan fare, no follow through and never the funds or support needed for a successful campaign. Soon it is forgotten and yet another initiative planed. There have been dozens of them. Remember "do it once"? That was a successful, long lasting campaign from the 80's!
    Meanwhile, I don't know a single field employee, (not familiar with the "in house employee" habits) be it sales, education or engineering who doesn't work many hours a week more than their paycheck reflects yet that does not constitute commitment at review time, it is expected. Dear Employee, Your company thanks you for your dedication to the well being and growth of the company. In recognition of your contributions we are awarding you with an NI and no merit increase,. Don't take it personally, we have to do it to someone in every department, every year, it's just your turn. Better luck next year.

Loose the "us and them" mentality with both your customers and co-workers, yes we ARE co-workers. Granted, your pay is more than ours but you work for someone else too. Come back down to earth and realize you have not been successful. Please read these reviews as though they were your performance review. If they were, your next stop would be Monster.com. How bad is it going to have to get before you get some humility? Hiring consulting firms has proven to be an exercise in back slapping and ego inflation activity. Get back to basics. Call Ralph!

Bad Management

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist Senior in Hyannis, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist Senior in Hyannis, MA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Nice group of people in the team

Cons

BAD management. Decisions made with no reasons, no advancement, alot of talk -- no action.

LISTEN to employees -- you talk a good game to customers, but inside we all know it is a lie. It is hard to give a good impression to customers when you don't feel any support coming from mgmt

Some Things Will Never Change!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

The people. Some of the most amazing people there. They were more like fmaily and friends than co workers.

Cons

Management has their own agenda. They do not care what you have to say as an employee. Just make your number. You tell them what they want to hear to close the deal. Tell them we will ship next month but ship it right away so we can cout the revenue. If they decide to not accept it, it is ok as we can recognize revenue twice! Sweet huh!

I would recommend they update their resumes, as Activant is being readied for the take over. That is the reason they have more managers than they have salespeople.

Where would you be with out us?

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

the other employees, the company's software program, potential

Cons

When desicions are made, it either takes 4 to 6 months for something to start happening, or nothing changes. We are setup for failure from the start. Numerous employees give 110% or more of their effort and are receive 60-75% for their pay. The commission plans are set to reward you if you hit 100% or better, and if you hit that number you can expect a quota raise in the amount of your success. If you do not hit the 100% or great mark, you are stuck with "Decelorators". This is a great strategy to keep the company profitable and their sales team hoping to pay their bills.

if you value us, why wouldnt you pay us like it? Please dont set us up for failure, if we win so do you!