Activant Solutions (California)

Updated April 14, 2014

2.3

Activant Solutions (California) President, CEO, and Director Pervez A. Qureshi
Pervez A. Qureshi

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance policies, including work from home options (in 3 reviews)

• Company allows flexiblity in schedeles which allows for a good work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die (in 8 reviews)

• Company upper management focused way too much on short-term numbers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Time to Clean House

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant  in  Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Yardley, PA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Although Management does not acknowledge exceptional work, there are some great employees that keep the place afloat. Most of the hard working people are also great co-workers.

Cons

Hard working employees are pigeon holed, told "we can't afford to loose you" when a better oppurtunity arises internally. No career development. Middle Management in place due to tenure and not qualification.

P21 was not perfect, but was a good model. Changing to Activan't unsuccessful model (lumber, automative, etc....) is a HUGE mistake.

Activant going through growing pains.

Current Employee - Field Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Flexable Work schedule in the field allowed to work your own schedule. In the past has been a company with strong leadership and concern towards employees.

Cons

Current leadership lacts respect for employees and is losinf sight of what is important, like the customer comes first. Using one of our past tag lines Customers make paydays possible.

Take care of your customers and your people and good things happen. Listen to your employees they are out there everyday seeing what is going on.

Activant Solutions is a good place to work, however the former company, Triad was much better

Current Employee - Data Base Administrative  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Data Base Administrative in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

My job provides me with allot of flexibility in terms of my work schedule, although I know other departments are not this flexible. Activant is a community minded company that has their hand in various charities throughout the Bay Area. Although I cannot speak for other departments, I am treated fairly as is my co-workers. The benefits are good, not great but in today's world, anyone with any type of benefits’ cannot complain much. The work environment is adequate enough being this company was re-located around 6 years ago to a new building. It is centrally located for both people living in San Joaquin County and the Tri-Valley area.

Cons

The rate of pay is very sub-standard. There does not seem to be a lot of opportunity of professional or personal growth. As with many companies in today's economic woes, Activant has recently downsized one of its divisions and speculation is that the downsizing process is not yet complete. They have also outsourced some of the work force to foreign countries, which by the way has so far proven to be very counter productive and has produced a negative company image. I believe that communication between senior management and mid to lower management could improve. The system technology we currently have can also be upgraded and or improved.

There are too many micro managers that could be more productive and better suited in other positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A study in contradiction

Current Employee - Associate  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, relaxed workplace environment, in addition to good co-workers who work their hardest on the company's goals.

Cons

Forced vacation for employees, can't/won't keep up with current trends in the industry, no raises for 2 years, getting the equipment needed to do your job can be a fight, upper management is hard to take seriously and seems to have little empathy for employees.

Think further out than the next quarter/year, there are bigger issues to think about.

Activant ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Good benefits, great product, many employees here for a long time

Cons

Hard to get time off, sometimes work not appreciated

Talk to employees more

Make Activant a great place to work, delight customers, and build the best products in the industry.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Great industry with lots of potential

Cons

Poor leadership. Not effective at communications and sharing vision. Management has one focus - the shareholder! Classic example of an organization being run by private equity with no value being placed on the employee or the customer.

1. Employees. 2. Client Sat. 3. Innovation. Take a look at employee turn-over. Take a look at the costs for developing new talent. Take a good look at customer satisfaction and put a process in place to address the client's concerns. Focus on investing in the future. Ask yourself, "Are you considered a leader in innovation?" NO. Why not???

Employees Last

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Compensation is hourly and some positions are eligible for overtime. This is rare in certain fields, like IT, which makes it a great bonus. There is a lot of opportunity for development of problem solving skills. Middle management is very understanding and works hard for their direct reports. Certain divisions are more desirable than others.

Cons

Leadership shows absolute disregard to employees. As a result, morale is low and attrition is high. Slow to react to internal and external feedback. Benefits package is lacking in all respects, especially with regards to health insurance and bonus plan. Many employees are overworked and underpaid for their respective professions. Hiring is a hassle: new positions are opened and closed without seeming justification. Frequent headcount actions blamed on "economic conditions." There is little to no feedback on performance, nor is there a clear plan for growth or development of employees.

Treat employees with respect; communicate and gather feedback from employees and customers

A typical monopoly

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Livermore, CA

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

If you get the right position, it is a very secure job. Some of the engineers and other folks have been around for 20 years. Also the company has a monopolistic position in its industry, there isn't much it can do to screw things up completely.

Cons

Very hide-bound, almost impossible to get anything done. This was the slowest moving company I have ever seen. It took about 6 weeks to do the same task that took 6 days in my last company.

There are no processes either. Much of the secret to getting anything done is to sweet-talk the one person who knows how to use the system.

Leave.
    You have been working there too long and don't know how to streamline the company.

Inconsistent messages and directions from upper management

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Treats managers well, employees a fantastic customer service team who are extremely dedicated to making the customer satisfied.

Cons

Loves to downsize anytime quarterly targets are missed. Loves to change bonus plan rules on the fly. All customer service teams are overworked and underpaid. Normally I would not use generic blanket statements like that, but in this case, it is certainly true.

Empower your employees to do what is necessary to meet the customers' needs. The rules seem to change too often, and with the extremely reduced staffing numbers, making the customers happy is almost impossible at times.

Good

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Flexibility, training, management, tools, travel

Cons

Salary, recognition, incompetent peers, human resources

Worked for Activant Solutions (California)? Contribute to the Community!