Active International

Add Photos

Active International Chairman and CEO Alan S. Elkin

Alan S. Elkin

Good and getting better

ProsGood people. An interesting business model. Opportunities for advancement. Nice building and facilities. Flexible work schedules available. Can wear jeans. The company is very supportive of the community and non-profits. Solid benefit plan.

ConsTraining and HR support are helping, but there still are not enough really good managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to input from employees and evolve the company. Consider opportunities to delayer and empower lower level managers.

Terrible Place

Media (Former Employee)

ProsThe commute is really easy

ConsWhere do I start? People are quitting left and right and it's not a coincidence. HORRIBLE supervisors/managers

Advice to Senior ManagementWhoever is the highest up in National and Local need to either fire the managers an supervisors or demote people. This place is falling apart. Everyday is a train wreck and it is literally getting more unbearable by the day. If I could give this place 0 stars, I would

Management does not care about you

National Broadcast Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsCommute is easy, learn the media advertising business, some perks through networks

Conshorrible directors, long hours, do not listen to the assistants, UNEVEN WORKLOAD

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People!

Temporary Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Pearl River, NY

ProsNot only were people super friendly, they also loved being part of the team! Learned a lot and was able to offer some knowledge as well.

Consnot applicable at all .

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Kudos!

Great people, poor pay and too many VPs

Account Manager (Former Employee) Pearl River, NY

ProsWonderful people make you feel like you are a part of a family. Lots of happy hours, get-togethers and group activities. Great for recent graduates to get a foot in the door, and allows you to not have to commute to the city.

ConsPoor pay; like to hire outside instead of promoting within; excuse after excuse for no raises, and then hire top level execs for too much money. More VPs then assistants.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp promote your current staff so they don't leave.

Only Accept If You Have No Other Options

(Former Employee)

ProsThe commute is better than going to the city everyday.
    There are a lot of snakes but you can find some great people if you search hard enough.

ConsTo anyone considering working at Active, PAY ATTENTION TO THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS. Everyone is basically dead on with their reviews. I understand that in this economy, many people do not have the option to hold off until they find something better. However, if you can wait it out or are juggling between other companies and this one, do not choose Active.

There is clear favoritism that goes on when it comes to promotions. You will find that anywhere you go but here, it is very blatant and discouraging. The other comments say that it is very hard to move up and it is unless you swallow your pride and kiss up to everyone you encounter. If you play the game, you have a decent chance of moving up if a position opens. However, it is not enough to let your work speak for itself.

The work and pay are both equally unrewarding so again, I stress that if you have other options on the table, weigh those heavily and disregard this. It totally is not worth the long hours, stress and lack of respect and appreciation. However, if you have no choice but to accept this, once hired, don't give up on the job search. There definitely is better out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is a common theme in most of the cons and that is 100% correct. There are way too many chiefs and not enough indians, if you will. There are so many people in management positions that are either a) not competent in what their role actually entails or b) are only around because of tenure. It is unbelievable that there are people making six figure salaries that do not have a major role in the company. In order for this job to be somewhat bearable, management needs to be totally restructured.

Good for a little while...

Media (Current Employee) Pearl River, NY

ProsIt is a great place to start and gain work experience. However it is only great in the beginning and soon you notice the cons.

ConsRoll over rate is high, people tend to leave the company after a year on average. If you are willing to stay in the same position without much opportunity for growth, then this is a great place to be. No room for growth. No salary increase. No incentives. No encouragement for younger employees to stay. It can be very stressful and overwork is common.

Was dying to leave the position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pearl River, NY

ProsNetworking, free merchandise from networks, get to go to cool events

ConsPoor training, high turn-over rate, bad communication, work not evenly distributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocate work more evenly between the buyers, coordinators, and assistants. Assistant's work-load is incredibly high, especially during posts. Poor communication between teams. One director in particulars management style is horrendous.

Drifting at sea

ProsVery proficient accounts receivable organization

ConsToo heavy in upper management/politics and redundancy

Advice to Senior Managementconsolidate authority

Active

ProsGood compnay to wrok at, nice poeple, chance for growth within.

ConsBoring, same duties differnt day.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a better training system.

Worked for Active International? Contribute to the Community!