Active Network

www.activenetwork.com

Active Network Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program(in 17 reviews)

• You work from home if you're sick or you can take a vacation day(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week(in 11 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples(in 19 reviews)

great concept, unsure of future with new leadership and ownership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosgreat culture

great employee benefits (medical benefits, yoga, lunchtime workouts, bagel fridays in san diego)

great industry (activity participation management)

Conscompany was a great fit in san diego, but now moving all positions to dallas, but management has still not communicated this to employees

new management likes to rule by fear

no longer recognized on purely performance, but rather hours worked

leadership has publicly voiced that they are no longer interested in having a good company culture

Advice to Senior Managementyou're losing great talent and institutional knowledge due to excessive turnover. also, let people know you are moving the headquarters to dallas, everyone knows this is coming so it's best to be transparent.

learn to appreciate your staff and reward them and they will work hard for you.

Underwhelming.

Reservation Agent - Work At Home (Former Employee)

ProsThe major bonus to working as a reservation agent here is that you can do the job from home (as long as you have an analog phone line and high-speed internet). Also, the trainers, team leaders, and HR department are ridiculously friendly and supportive.

ConsThe low pay is all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the people at the bottom a little better. It's great that you all promote an active and healthy lifestyle but--doesn't that begin with being able to buy food?!

Hard to watch the ship sink. I'd be surprised if the company lasts through 2015 with the new management team.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThere is nothing good left here.

ConsHorrible management style here. They try to stir up 'fear' in the employees instead of being 'leaders'.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere will soon be no one left at Active with any knowledge of products and processes. Customers will know more than the employees. They won't stick around very long once this happens.
    The communication strategy around the 'move'- has been horrible. The long time loyal employees should not be treated like this. Let's address the GIANT elephant in the room wearing the cowboy hat.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

College kids dream job

Customer Svc (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

Prosthey provide minimal schedule opportunity if you just need a few extra bucks

Consisolated, not a lot of opportunity to interact or chat with fellow employees, only supervisors...

Advice to Senior Managementlet your staff socialize amongst one another, creates for a healthier virtual atmosphere....

Cutlure is great, Pay is Low

ProsThey stay true to their name. If you want to be active and get in a workout before, during, or after work, there is no shortage of opportunity to do that. Tons of things going on to facilitate your physical well being. And no dress code is really nice too. Great work culture, people are awesome.

ConsThe pay is awful, its hard to feel valued when they refuse to compensate you for the work you're doing. Its a very top heavy company, upper management is paid well and if you are anything other than that, its peanuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain good employees, you have to reward them for their work.

How is this company still in the hunt and fish licensing business?

Client Account Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe best thing about working here were some of the people. There are some professional, dedicated and intelligent staff here trying very hard day-in day-out. The benefits are good, but comparable to any other major firm. The answer to the question is that there are no other serious contender's in North America for this type of POS system for hunt and fish. If there was, bye bye Active.

ConsSenior management is abysmal - they are the personification of "over promise and under deliver, over budget and not in time". Direction was lacking, and the unrealistic promises continually made to clients placed a lot of stress on front-line staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to what staff are telling you - why hire SME's and then disregard their advise? Grow a spine in dealing with clients - the promise everything during sales pitches is going to cost you credibility in the long run when your company fails to deliver.

Looking for work in the IT field? Steer clear of this god awful company like the plague.

Applications Support (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone I worked with, colleagues, team members, non team members, managers, were all great people. Upper management was the only thing wrong with this company.

ConsWhere do I begin? Abysmal pay rates, tons of after hours work, 24/7 on-call rotations that are not only unpaid - but very aggressive, most of my time with the company was a rotation between myself and another employee, so every other week you are on-call. And you will be called, often, at all hours of the night. You will lose sleep, you will always be on edge worried that the little free time you thought you had that wasn't spent releasing code after hours will also be wasted toward this dead end job... oh and you will NEVER be rewarded for any of it.

I worked at this company for six years, why I stayed with them I have no idea. Essentially I committed career suicide by staying with them so long, picking up completely useless skills working on awful products that had all that code your college professors told you that should never be written. I never once got a raise of anything more than 1 or 2 percent of my total salary (even though I was voted as most valuable member of my team and the quarterly "shining star" on numerous occasions). I was always strung along and made to believe that advancement for me within the company was just around the corner.

Well that never came, they shut down our entire office after being acquired by some company and they basically just let all of us go with zero warning and a laughable severance package. That was my reward for years upon years of hard work in which I was always constantly praised for... work that included many months of spending at least one day a week staying up all night after working all day having to either release some bullcrap emergency patch, or work on some critical issue causing some sort of outage.

During my time there I saw a very high turnover rate in the IT and development department. Most of development is now outsourced and most IT members had far better foresight than I did and got out of this company after less than a year working there, considering the laughable pay and incredibly high demand of what they ask of you.

It is such a mismanaged company on so many different levels. Back when I joined in 2008, it took them over TWO WEEKS to get me access to even use the system, so I just came into work, asked around trying to figure out anything to do, and no one ever had anything for me other than to just "shadow" other team members. So I literally came in there for two weeks and just watched people awkwardly and got paid for it. My direct manager didn't even know that our office was being laid off, and they don't even have a team to support certain products now because one of the local coworkers and I were the only people that knew how many of the applications functioned, and we were the only ones that knew how to support those products. I'm still getting called by the company after they already laid me off from people freaking out not knowing what to do because no one is around to support the applications they are assigned to on phone support. Well it's their problem now unfortunately, wish I could help ya guys but the genius upper management I guess just wants to let the products (which even though they sucked, were actually highly profitable) go to crap.

Don't ever work here. No matter how bad you are hurting for a job, it just isn't worth it. I got paid horribly and all I got for all my hard work at this company was an anxiety disorder and an abrupt and cowardly office closure. This company is an absolute joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've been on phone calls with upper management during issues, and I can safely say there is no point in an employee giving advice to them, because they won't heed a single word of that advice. They think of anyone who isn't in upper management as sub-human, I'm not even kidding. Some of the language I observed during the conference calls for this issue made me realize how expendable everyone at this company is to them.

Horrific and completely inept management

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsUsed to be culture, but all of the good people have fled, nothing left but people who are undesirable to other employers

ConsConstantly changing compensation plan and structure to encourage the top 20% of the sales force to constantly turn over. Almost daily attrition. The HR process has been completely automated at this point via email, you don't even talk to a live person when you resign or are terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management structure is much like the current US government, a culture of hiding corruption and incompetence to protect oneself, rather than just managing effectively.

Company which had great potential

ProsFlexible work environment
    Software help people stay active
    Offices all over the world

ConsConstant changes
    Everything is about cost-cutting
    Make you take tests
    Do not gather employee feedback at all

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees have to say ... at least once in a while.

Good, but low pay

Reservation Agent (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsSuper comfortable work environment, no need to buy a work wardrobe which saves money. Interesting people and fairly easy work

ConsI worked a couple months 2 years ago and was getting $9/hr, this year when I was re-hired it is now $8/hr. Minimum wage in NY is not livable. Really should offer at least small raises with learning additional contracts or time spent with company. What happened to the $9/hr???

Worked for Active Network? Contribute to the Community!