Active Network
www.activenetwork.com San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Active Network Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Darko Dejanovic

Pros:
  • "You work from home if you're sick or you can take a vacation day"
    in 14 reviews
  • "We also had a nice work-life balance and usually had fun office activities"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is becoming a thing of the past given mandatory hours you must work (up to 10 hours a day"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Account Exec

I have been working at Active Network

ProsWith all layers of BS removed, at its' core is a mission statement to make the world a better place. In theory, they could attract unlimited success if they stay closer to that mission.

ConsMission statement currently is overshadowed by a focus on quantity over quality. C level has an unrealistic and heavy focus on meaningless singular activities of all sales reps that get in the way of the sales process itself. In one month over 50 high level employees have quit. Extremely negative atmosphere. In this time of unrest and turmoil you are asked to sell more. Sell 100% more. Than 2013. Sell 100% more with no additional support, 2012 marketing resources, and zero transparency about the future, location, compensation, and plans for active.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with honesty, respect, and professionalism. Employees will exceed your expectations if you set reasonable and achievable goals for them. Allow sales reps to own their business instead of instituting a "big-brother" police state atmosphere. If you want growth, give employees the capacity for it. BE TRANSPARENT.

Great place to begin a career.

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork environment is terrific and the immediate management in my department and the team were superb. I got terrific experience working here which was very valuable coming out of college.

ConsCompensation is not terrific, especially when compared with other companies in the industry. Career options are limited if you are working in one of the satellite offices but pretty good if you are working at headquarters.

This place has gone down the toilet

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome great co-workers and they really encourage and promote a healthy lifestyle with many tools to help achieve personal fitness goals.

ConsBenefits, far below standard pay, terrible raises, complete lack of communication from upper management. Senior management that had been on staff for years bailed real quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementA bit of transparency goes a long way with morale.

Worst leadership ever!

Senior Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAll the great company culture is gone. Life-work balance is gone. Career opportunity is gone. All gone!

ConsThe worst leadership I've ever seen. They don't care about the employees. All they care is how to make $ for themselves. The new leadership brought nothing good to the company. They hardly even understands what are all the products. All the great talents are gone because of them. The leadership has no vision or plan to build the company. People who get promoted are the all idiots who don't qualify to get a job anywhere else.

If you are looking to experience disaster, this is the perfect place for you.

Great company culture, benefits, and people. Currently going through major changes.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture, benefits and people. Several industry leading software platforms that have great competitive advantage. Very happy with the work/life balance.

ConsLarge company that is going through major changes. Upper management not clearly communicating initiatives to employees. Cross-department communication is lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency and clearly communicate objectives and expectations to employees.

Great People

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great, hard working. Casual work environment.

ConsNeeds better C-suite leadership.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sinking Ship

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are still a few good employees left. Hopefully Active can hang on to them but eventually they will get fed up with upper management only thinking of them as a number.

ConsOver the course of a year the entire company has been shaken up and more recently dismantled. Strategic layoffs, and executive management changes have occurred multiple times. The new leadership brought in all of his friends or allies and is now in the process of surrounding himself with all Yes Men or Women.

Look, I understand they need to make money, but they are not going to get there by cutting the staff that helped bring the company public and replaced with off shoring everything to China. In recent all staff meetings we were invited to resign by the CEO, another leader told us that they could hire two people in China for the salary of one US employee. Forget the quality of the work or the technical skill - Everyone is just a number to them. They are reducing costs all around and Active's customers are going to start to notice the quality of the product and customer service going down hill. In another such meeting I heard that they are going to start cutting down support for customers that aren't worth their time. Paraphrasing of course, but the CEO basically said something to the effect of "see ya, have a nice life" to the customers only spending a thousand dollars with Active. Now that's a real appreciation for the very customers who lined their pockets with all of that money.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reduce some costs, show a little profit, and then sell the company off. Either as a whole or in pieces. The real losers here are the employees and customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour adjective is clear. Reduce costs, show some profit, and then sell this company until there is nothing left.

Technical Account Manager

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe hours are flexible as long as you do your job and stay on top of things. Pay is competative. Great co workers and support.

ConsThere are continuously new proceses put in place. Annual raises dont keep up with the cost of living. Hard work is not always appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better raises. Quit trying to fix things that are not broken.

Still a great place to work

Software Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery flexible workplace. The ActiveX program should be a model for other companies. Plenty of opportunities to sharpen your skills.

ConsThe atmosphere is the San Diego office is a bit unsettled. Lots of talent has left the company since the acquisition. They say opportunity comes with stage, but not without a degree of pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a strategy and make sure that changes flows through the entire business. So many changes have seem to have had little effect on the business.

Heading in wrong direction

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat markets to work on. ActiveX program is good perk. I love the original company mission. Working alongside talented people

ConsNo more stock incentive plan. Hard to respect new management. Moving all technology to China and business people to Texas. Most good people have left company for better and more stable jobs already.

Advice to Senior ManagementBigger profits are important, but you will only get there if you can lead and inspire the team. Seemingly a task new leadership is not up to.

Worked for Active Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Active Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Active Network CEO Darko Dejanovic. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by Active Network employees.