Active Network Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
439 reviews filtered by
2.6
Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • There are no pros to working here, other than you can work from home on certain campaigns (in 19 reviews)

• The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company, where great people succeed!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time

Pros

Career progression is there for those who push themselves to stand out.
    Strong leadership that provides the tools and aid needed to succeed.
    Corporate culture.
    Incredible office space, very modern and progressive.
    Awesome discounts through a lot of different vendors.
    Awesome programs for the active individual like ActiveX and ActiveX PTO days.

Cons

Constant change can be frustrating for certain personality types, be prepared to be flexible. If you are rigid and can only function in black and white, you may not enjoy ACTIVE as much.
    The location is optimal for many, but is quite a drive for me.

While certain parts of ACTIVE were a bit unorganized when the transition to Dallas occurred, this has been a work in progress and is worlds better than where it began.

2. Great job- Work hard and you'll succeed

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're driven and work hard, there's no limit to what you can do. The downtown Dallas office is great, and all of my coworkers have a ton of energy and enthusiasm. I've seen my efforts recognized by management, when I finish a project or work long hours. But we also have fun, and I have the flexibility to work from home or adjust my work hours when needed.

The upper management tries to make a point of visiting us, which is pretty awesome. I like being able to talk about work, or life in general, with them, and know that they've got my back when I need it.

The wellness "ActiveX" program encourages people to lead healthy, well-balanced lives, and that's a big part of company culture. There are a lot of events, such as happy hours, intramural teams, workout classes, and holiday potlucks.

Also, if you're into that sort of thing, there are coffee, ice cream, soda, iced tea, iced coffee and slushy machines. And bagel Fridays.

Cons

There are certain positions in the company that seem like they would be less fulfilling, namely the MDR role. But, I've seen people who get their foot in the door with that job, and once they prove their worth, they're moved on to bigger and better things. I know some people don't like the changes in the company, but I see them as opportunities to embrace the change and be successful with it.

The benefits aren't amazing. I know some people have families to support, and I don't know how good the health plan is for them.

Parking gets pricey downtown, and only a portion is covered by the company.

C-level management- keep visiting us on the lower floors!

This is the best company I've ever worked for, and I feel extremely appreciated here.

I have been working at Active Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Dallas office is great. There's a ping-pong table, a foosball table, free soda, free frozen yogurt, and a beautiful tavern area to eat in or work in.

I've never had any problems working from home. My boss and his boss are both very laid back and only care that I get my job done, not that I'm in the office past a certain point. If some day I have to run an errand in the morning and I show up late, my boss just tells me not to worry about it, and I'll make it up some day in the future.

We get a paid day off each year to do volunteer work, and another one to do something "active," which can range from marathons to a day at the museums. It's a nice way to encourage you to go do something fun with a day off.

I've never felt more appreciated at a job. People are bizarrely thankful for things, my supervisors always tell me that they think I'm doing a great job, and my recent performance evaluation provided monetary evidence of their respect for me.

Work-Life Balance is extremely important here, or at least in my department. My boss never wants us to kill ourselves overworking. Overtime happens, but it's pretty rare.

Cons

Parking is awful, since the Dallas office is downtown, but the company helps you out with $50 a month for parking or mass transit, so that's something.

Benefits aren't great. We only have one health plan, and it's a high deductible plan.

Other than that, though, I don't really have any big complaints. I do feel like there's some responsibility creep, but that could just be me in particular. Every so often I get assigned a project that leaves me wondering whether I'm really the right person, or even in the right department, for this sort of thing, but I always get lots of support from both peers and supervisors, so it's never terrible, and I figure it's good experience for the future.

Get better benefits. They're probably the worst place to cheap out on.

5. Best company I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This place is great. Lots of cool people from all kinds of backgrounds. Leadership trusts its employees to get the job done and they do. Not a lot of time spent in useless meetings. Office and company culture is very trendy.

Cons

Pace is incredibly fast. Rarely is there an 'easy' day.

Keep up the great work. The perks, the Dallas office, and the corporate wellness program are just a few ways management shows they care about their employees. They can be slave drivers sometimes, but the rewards are justified. Work hard, play hard.

6. Innovative, High Change, Challenging - but with room to grow...

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Active is pretty unique and produces a great set of software products that (when you understand what they do) are really cool. I work in the headquarters in Dallas. The people here are from all over the country and from quite a few different companies that Active has acquired over the years. The fact that many of them have stayed is one of the first things I noticed. People are direct, but casual and down-to-earth. My boss has given me multiple opportunities to do new things and is one of the least "micro-managing" bosses I've ever had. The dress-code and office space are super hip and remind me of when I lived on the West Coast. The pay (for me) is very good, I was given a great offer. They give a cool transit subsidy that helps me pay for parking (or commuter rail if I wanted). PTO time is good and I've always been able to take my time. I can work remote if I need to, but this is not really "preferred" - the company does want everyone to be in the office and working together as much as possible. They have an activity kind of program called ActiveX that has regular run clubs, yoga and stuff and I think it is fun to meet new people. Overall - I really like Active and have been really glad I left my previous job to come here.

Cons

The pace is very fast and very hard driving (which I don't mind), but you are definitely expected to be checking your email and reachable on your company cell all time time. That's ok for me, but it you are looking for somewhere that you can "unplug" when you're out of the office, this is definitely not it. It can be confusing to try to fins answers to stuff here, especially when you need to talk to other departments, but I have noticed this is improving. I have noticed the Vice Presidents I interact with are usually pretty approachable, but some people are intimidated by the "c-suite". For me, they just seem pleasant but crazy busy. The benefits last year I liked much better - we didn't get a choice in plans for this year. My boss told me our parent company forced this on us and I think that is unfair. He also told me that they are going to try to give us different options maybe next year. My insurance is average for coverage, but last year it was really good - I got to have a PPO plan, which most companies seem to be getting rid of.

Be aware of employees that can perform the same, but do things differently. Some of my friends in other departments have told me it seems like the leaders want a lot of employees that do the same thing the same way. Also, please try to bring back some of the better benefits we used to have for medical insurance last year.

We gave it a good run. Enjoy, Dallas.

I worked at Active Network

Pros

Nice looking website, company story and talk about values.

Cons

Super political prior to acquisition and move to Dallas. This company was demolished in San Diego, good folks left, other less qualified folks rose to the top ranks and moved to Dallas :)

8. Great company for the physically fit.

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company the opportunity to work out during the day and promotes staying in shape.

Cons

Salaries are lower than expected.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Not what it used to be.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

Friendly coworkers and open office environment.

Cons

No room to move up in the San Diego location and they pay below the market average.

Some great employees, future uncertain.

I worked at Active Network

Pros

I really like most of the employees I worked with.

Cons

Company is nearly done moving entire company from San Diego to Dallas and China. Purchased a year or so ago by private equity with a strategy one can only assume is to get expenses as low as possible and sell before anyone notices that most of the best employees have left? Communications downstream isn't always very clear.

11. Major ethical issues here, beware....

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

fun industry, young fun employees

Cons

unethical business practices, poor management, treat employees poorly

take an inventory of the managers and weed out the unethical, dishonest people , listen to your employees and treat them better