Active Network

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.6

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program (in 17 reviews)

• You work from home if you're sick or you can take a vacation day (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Losing sight of who we were

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people I get to work with everyday brought and have kept me here. I've been given many growth opportunities over the last several years.

Cons

The senior management team does not seem to care about the employees. They have identified a select few "A" players and the rest of the employees appear to be disposable. The moral has gone from a place that people want to come to everyday to a place they come to for a check. Something has to change...

Great potential if only the management would get it's act together...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool culture/atmosphere, casual attire, there WAS a great deal of autonomy involved in all roles/teams across the company, flexible, ability to learn a great deal in a VERY short amount of time for some positions, opportunities for growth are great for some roles/departments. There are a lot of great people who work there at multiple levels and who do care about the company.

Cons

There is a lot of dissension in the senior management (chiefs) and a LOT of ego's- keeping in mind the senior leaders are all relatively new to the company with the acquisition changes in 2013. Many leaders do not know what they are doing, do not have the experience, and do not have the passion/drive for the company that it needs with the dramatic changes it is going through and the hundreds of new employees they are/will be bringing on. Senior leaders do not care at all about the employees, and only care about driving profits (which should go hand-in-hand if they were familiar with current research and statistics proving such). It really depends on the role and/or team the employee is on as to how effected they are by the chaos ensuing around and above them. Active is also slightly fire-happy and does not have any protocol or policies they follow (VERY HR UNFRIENDLY), so do not expect formal write-ups as a larger, more structured corporation would follow- Active goes straight to termination.

Get it's act together, understand that employee satisfaction is essential to the success of the company and you cannot simply rule with an iron fist and expect associates to follow in fear. Establish protocol for company policies, departments, employees and follow such as a larger corporation should.

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Active has the opportunity for Remote working if you happen to live away from their central offices. There is also the opportunity for upward mobility. Active does provide many employee benefits that are great to take advantage of like 2 PTO days for being active personally and involved in the community. Also have great employee purchase discounts.

Cons

Active continues to shift strategies around organizational structure every 12-18 months which makes the working culture and ability to settle into organization workflow very difficult.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good one until the company was bought out.

Former Employee - Client Applications Specialist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Client Applications Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was able to work from home remotely.

Cons

Being able to be trained in new products effectively via instant message and online conferencing versus in person.

Keep up with individual training.

Leadership has no people skills but company heading in right direction with lots of opportunity to make an impact

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

The company still has a unique culture and product portfolio despite all of the recent changes. Lots of opportunity to move up if you seize it. Active is what you make it. Heading in the right direction from a strategy perspective. I wouldn't imagine current leadership will ast very long so hopefully the next crew have actual leadership skills and experience.

Cons

A lot of the "leadership" have literally zero concern for people or effective change management. Literally they couldn't talk themselves out of a cardboard box and in some cases they fulfill the prophecy of "you know who would be the worst possible leader for the company?"

Vista - replace the CEO he is a joke. Someone else can make the hard choices without leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Moving to Texas

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was a great place to work. I really like the people that I work with and the customers that we support. Easy sell in the sense that we are selling activity management software.

Cons

The company is moving to Texas. The San Diego office is almost dead now. Won't be much longer.

Management should have been more transparent about the move. We are grown up and can handle the truth. We have all known this was going to happen for many, many months.

Delusional San Diego employees bashing the company

Current Employee - Accounting  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am so tired of these reviews. These are written by ex employees who hate the fact that their cushy jobs are going away. One review says we should return to being old Active. Old Active was losing money and most of these employees didn't care.

Cons

San Diego culture is horrible. I am not moving to Texas but will continue to work here and I am very grateful for that.

Active network was awesome

Former Employee - Support
    Former Employee - Support

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

The was a great sense of Community, fun atmosphere, athletic environment, friendly and happy employees. Employees used to work out together in the workout room, and company hired yoga instructor for lunchtime. Free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

Changing hands has changed the culture a lot. It's not what it used to be. There are not any perks anymore.

Horrible pay, horrible hours, horrible supervisors.

Current Employee - Reservation Agent - Work At Home  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reservation Agent - Work At Home in New York, NY

I have been working at Active Network part-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

See the title of this post

Get your heads out of your butts. Your greed will eventually turn around and bite you.

Gear perks and discounts

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

Perks like gear discounts, registration discounts, ability to work remotely

Cons

Recent purchase by venture capital company has changed the "team oriented company" to a "grow faster, make money faster" type company. No regard for individuals any longer.

Take a step back and look for value in employess

Worked for Active Network? Contribute to the Community!