Active Network

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.6

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program (in 17 reviews)

• You work from home if you're sick or you can take a vacation day (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Was an exciting publicly traded cloud company, now simply an asset for a private investment company.

I worked at Active Network full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The previous mission was to create an online presence for "all things ACTIVE", which spanned from youth camps to marathons or simply camping and fishing. The team atmosphere was excellent and worked with incredibly bright and passionate people. The company encouraged a healthy lifestyle and created an award winning 'ActiveX' program to promote such a lifestyle.

Cons

The company grew through acquisition, so communication between divisions was often clunky and ineffective. Some divisions were not profitable, so the company was sold to a private equity firm in November 2013 who is closing offices and laying off staff without regard to previous profitability. Corporate headquarters will eventually be moved from San Diego to Dallas.

The previous Active valued their employees AND customers, even though compensation was about 20% below industry average. The current owners do not value their employees nor some of their market segments, so I would recommend they start valuing those clients if they wish to retain those customers.

Nope!

Current Employee - Nope  in  Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Nope in Nash, TN

I have been working at Active Network full-time

Pros

If you find one, let me know.

Cons

Where to start...Broken promises, destructive decisions, lack of understanding, zero growth, lack of communication, blowing smoke on decisions that affect peoples livelihoods. Total disregard that they have human beings are what is driving this company. The technology they are wanting to push was years behind. It took a total breakdown to bring them up to current application standards.

Understand your business (ALL ASPECTS OF IT). Understand your people. RESPECT them. LISTEN to them. Stop making promises you can't keep.

What once was good has now gone bad.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When the founder and CEO was in charge it was a great company. Company promoted a healthy life style, camaraderie, and professionalism.

Cons

Once they hired Darko as CTO and the next eventual CEO. things went south in a hurry. Probably the worst leader I have ever come across in my professional career of 20 years. I wouldn't even call him a leader just a narcissistic manager in a leadership position. He has little regard for the employees and would avoid interacting with them unless absolutely necessary. It might be just the culture he came from; no fault of his own. "Darko" a Serb name... wonder if has a history of war crimes,

Now that Active is a private company they eventually may return as a respected company but this will not happen until C-level management has been cleared out and replaced with actual leaders.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Active Network sales environment is like driving horse until it dies or leaves (sweatshop)

Current Employee - AE Inside  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - AE Inside in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

People outside of management - good people like Arch

Cons

We are moving to Dallas from San Diego and we have been left in the dark regarding the whole move leaving us to go by rumors. The organization wants us to move to Dallas or quit so they do not have to pay severance. Cussing is part of the culture from leadership down.

Focus on the people and they will produce for you. Do not be so demeaning to your employees we make the numbers so the company can thrive. Leading by fear shows your incompetence as a leader.

Bottom Line

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at Active was a pleasure for those that worked hard and consistently looked for ways to stretch themselves. It wasn't your location that mattered but your skill set, drive and availability. Once the company was purchased by a private equity firm, everything changed.

Cons

If you are not located in China or Texas, you likely will not have a future with Active Network. They are now looking for very green, cheap workforce that is located near their new headquarters in TX or near one of their three China offices. They are now less focused on the product and services delivered to the customer and have a laser like focus on the bottom line.

The bottom line must be a top priority for any company but loosing site of your employees in the process will bite you in the end.

Company went to hell in a handbag in <6 months

Former Employee - Lead Generation Specialist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Generation Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time for less than a year

Pros

Respectful starting salary, decent commission structure, good benefits, friendly employees. People are always wanting to go for runs or work out together at lunch. Made good friends.

Cons

Moving to Texas, sitting all day long (very little movement), talking on the phone all day, extreme attrition, no real sense of growth, drastic change in culture and company values. Very little opportunity for growth. Random movement of people into positions they aren't prepared for. Very weak on-boarding process.

Where did it all go wrong????

I worked at Active Network

Pros

ActiveX program and pre-"Monster" veterans help to keep the "Active" culture alive.

All the Pros are dissolving with the company's culture.

Cons

New application process is laughable at best (Feel bad for the new HR team)

Once a acquisition powerhouse; now a acquisition with questionable future

High turnover with management. This causes challenges with moving within the company

"Clique Nation"

Leadership and management are not synonymous, but you could care less.

Devovling company

I worked at Active Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

Used to be filled with postiive people

Cons

The VC vultures have caused an unending stream of discontent

fire top exec

Used to be a good place to work

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

It's a paycheck and some flexibility with my hours..

Cons

We were acquired by Active several years ago along with a couple of other companies. Active then started reducing/combing management. In the process firing most of the management from my division and putting people from the other divisions in their place. They knew nothing about our division and how it works. They continue to fire those that know or put so much work/stress on them they quit. Upper management is more focused on making money, making themselves look good and outsourcing American jobs to China.

Listen to your employess. Some of us actually know what we are talking about and have solutions to some of our issues.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

Starting out, the pay is good

Cons

There is a lack of communication between managers and employees. Managers do not speak directly to their team about issues they are having; before taking matters to HR. The environment can be very childish and adults get treated like children. There is a bunch of double standards. Employees do not feel comfortable approaching managers.

Managers should be able to do what their team is doing so that they can help the team. Managers need to be evaluated by team members because many abuse their power and do not adhere to rules which they want employees to follow. Many managers are incompetent and there is no one to communicate that without retaliation.

Worked for Active Network? Contribute to the Community!