Active Network Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Listen to the Warnings! Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The only thing that I can really think of is bagel Fridays. There are some great people. The building is cool but don't let that fool you into thinking there is a fun culture.

Cons

The culture is terrible. Toxic. The philosophy is to manage with fear. i feel sorry for people that still work there and can't find a way out.

Advice to Management

Start over and create an environment that people want to work hard and want to stay. Attrition is expensive.

Don't be distracted by all the pretty things...

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has an appearance of a 'laid back' atmosphere. In some ways, it is. Dress code is very lax, bagel Fridays are nice, the office is full of amenities and flat screens, and young, intelligent, upbeat people. For account execs, you get a $45k base + $15k automatic commission just for making your calls. It creates a lot of pressure on sales people for basically getting "free" commission, but it's nice to get that check.

Cons

Before I say anything else, if you're thinking about working at ACTIVE by looking at Glassdoor reviews, LOOK at who is writing them. HR gets on here and writes a bunch of great reviews, and occasionally a new employee might write something positive, but MOST of the reviews (especially from sales people) are horrible. AND FOR GOOD REASON! I made some decent money and my performance was above average. I took a pay cut on my base salary to leave because I was so disgusted with management and with my lack of future opportunities. There is a pervasive arrogance and general lack of understanding of what truly motivates people that starts from the CEO and trickles down through most C-Level and management employees. (There are a few good apples) The sales leadership is under a lot of pressure from C-level and upper mgmt. I recognize that. However, there is no true leadership being modeled in sales. They lead with fear, they are completely ignorant to understanding how to work objectively with numbers. there is zero intellect used in breaking up sales territories fairly, and they show time and time again they're all about taking care of themselves. It creates a horrible environment on the sales floor. The general "ACTIVE' lifestyle culture that they try to sell to incoming employees is gone. Sure, there are activities at 6:30-7pm at night, but something as simple as holding a lunch time work out group or giving people an extra 30 minutes to work out at lunch in exchange for coming in early just doesn't exist like you might think it would. The leadership of this company doesn't care about being active. They care about dollars and cents. The problem is they're screwing that up too. When you interview, you will be shown all the pretty things around the office. There are lots of them. It's a cool space to work in. Here's the bottom line - if you want to make decent money, you're single, need an attractive employer/work experience to talk about on your resume in the future, and want to gamble on getting a horrible territory then maybe it's worth a shot. Chances are that this is not a long term landing spot. However, if you care about spending time with your family/outside work interests during the week (without a guilt trip from management) and you want a place where you don't have to play a popularity contest or be a jerk to have opportunities to move up, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Value people because they're real people with real lives and real concerns and stop looking at them as a commodity. When the majority of the sales floor can't hit quota or even sniff it, start looking in the mirror more. Take responsibility in front of your sales team for the way you've torpedoed the ability to succeed and the culture. Or, as another reviewer put it a few months ago, just do everyone still there a favor and fire yourselves. Give this company to people who truly value the culture of being ACTIVE and actually understand the customers.

3. Good Solid Company

Current Employee - Service Resolution Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Service Resolution Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Active Network part-time

Pros

I work from home and am able work hours I want. I got good training, and have been with the company for over 5 years. I have made my way up the ladder at my own pace, and with a lot of support from Team Leads and Supervisors. You won't be rich working from home, but being able to be at home with your children, or if you have difficulty getting around makes it well worth while. You are supplied with a computer, and headset. You supply the monitor and you must have a, wall jack, copper line, old fashioned telephone line that you pay for. There is good support and structure.

Cons

Simply working with the general public is never easy. Would like to make a lot more money. During the busy seasons you are busy non stop. You have scheduled breaks and lunch, but you must be prepared to work.

ACTIVE problems, but overall a neat job and good experience

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

Pros

-Good Work/Life balance -SOME managers are fantastic to work for and lead their teams really well. Others can make your life absolute horror. I have one of the good ones. -Neat ameneties -decent amount of PTO for starting date -decent pay structure -laissez-faire style of management from some managers

Cons

-executives have their heads where the sun don't shine because their #1 priority is making the company more valuable in order for the equity firm parent company to be able to sell it at a higher value. This means trying to squeeze water out of a rock in a business that is incredibly seasonal. -maybe 30% of the sales team is actually meeting quota, and it's largely based on how lucky you get when you are assigned your territory. There are several completely mediocre salespeople that are making a ton of money in commission because they are in a territory 3-4x larger than some of the smaller territories. This is frustrating. -Health plan sucks. Who wants an HSA? Active used to have a great PPO plan, but thanks to parent company, switched to CIGNA HSA. -vetting candidates better in interviews-- there are a ton of unqualified folks in the room applying for this job. -PIPs: Performance improvement plans. You get put on these if you've had two bad months in a row! Shape up the following month, or see ya later! Some of the absolute worst motivation I've ever seen. Obviously in sales you have to be responsible for your performance, but threatening to take away someone's livelihood because of a dry spell (Protip: there are dry spells all the time in sales) is monstrous. -Recruiters will tell you there's beer in the kegs in the staff Canteen and people can have a sip while at work. This is a bait and switch. Those are for extremely occasional company happy hours (once or twice a quarter).

Advice to Management

Stop scaring away good candidates. I've been being actively recruited recently and many folks I worked with have jumped ship while they can. I don't plan on leaving unless things get really bad, but we're not far from that.

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

If you're young or just out of school, then you'll appreciate the social, open atmosphere. A lot of fun, outgoing people work here.

Cons

Management uses fear and shame as a primary motivator. The pressure, in sales anyway, is immense and those who do not succeed right away are instantly put on a performance plan. Unless you enjoy working for unorganized, micro-managing ego maniacs, then this is not the place for you. Poor growth potential too.

Management is ruining the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network (Less than a year)

Pros

The CFO is very friendly and down to earth. A lot of young and energetic professionals here to make for a fun working culture. The downtown location is also nice.

Cons

Executives and management team bring the company morale way down. Have actually overheard CEO say, "It's okay to make people cry here. We support that," in addition to an incessant amount of F bombs.

Advice to Management

Your company is failing because you're scaring away the talented employees who have a lot to offer. A smart individual demands respect and knows he/she can be appreciated elsewhere, which is why your turnover rate is so high. Treat your employees like human beings before you lose all of them.

8. Active Network opportunities

I have been working at Active Network full-time

Pros

Great work environment, cool new building and amenities, close to everything in downtown Dallas.

Cons

Can be high stress for some positions, higher turnover than you would think.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Don't hitch a ride on this falling star

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, techy office feel, special food on each floor - but don't ask for the fancy coffee on the C-suite level, they put a passcode on the machine.

Cons

While the office is cool, it's located downtown. So for most that means a 2 hr commute on the train. They only pay $50 towards your DART pass so you pony up the extra $30 - they could have just bought passes for all workers at $50 from DART, but that wouldn't allow them to keep your extra transit money when you quit. They made $220 off of me. Not enough for them to make up the massive debt they have accrued this year though... C-suite is so out of touch with the world, it would be funny if it didn't impact your ability to do your job. Mid-level managers try hard (mostly) but they are overruled by C-suite directives. Open office plan and lack of huddle spaces or conference rooms leads to overhearing interesting phone conversations. The designers are kept in a fishbowl. Often potential clients are paraded through their workspace to show 'hey we are just like apple. we have macs, we have designers, they work in a white room. sign our contract!'. PMs are the most incompetent people i have met ever. Ever. If, by chance they hired a PM who knew how to do the job, they are quickly overruled by the C-suite (who, btw has no idea how to manage product). The other half of the PMs are made up of people who enjoy passing the buck and assigning others (who aren't their subordinates) to do their jobs for them. There is no forward thinking or leadership in the product space. I can't tell you how many times I heard 'just make it like Uber' from a C-suite person. Their databases don't talk to each other so there's no connecting products. They are quick to create brand new products when there isn't a need for them - instead the actual need is to optimize that feature in the existing ones. They have allowed one of their flagship products to become so bug ridden that they are in danger of loosing some of their largest clients. Since the company has grown by acquisitions, they never bothered to bring the different companies into the fold. As a consequence, they are allowed to operate independently of any policies, procedures or plans the other products have. So, you get lots of different products that essentially do the same thing. Tons of people have left, myself included. The talent will always leave. Always. And you will be left with those who aren't good enough to get a job anywhere else. What kind of company does that make?

Advice to Management

I honestly have no idea how this company has lasted this long. It can't be long until Vista off loads you or at least clears the C-suite out. You can't use smoke and mirrors forever to fool them into thinking you are a data company and you have good products. Stop dictating to the few good PMs how to do their jobs. You are not a designer or product manager. Repeat after me: I am not a product manager. I am not a designer. Good. Now, go back to your silent-as-a-tomb 27th floor and order your assistants around.

Client Application Specialist

Current Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great to have a salary I can live off of

Cons

I feel very replaceable in the company, seems to have a large turnover rate. Large amount of responsibilities with zero percent of the recognition.

Get Out While You Can

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The work was fun and varied. Unlike most other reviewers, I worked with little supervision. The people there seemed very young and mostly shy and kept to themselves for the most part but were usually friendly when approached.

Cons

Little or no direction in my position. Endless phone meetings. A psychopathic CEO -- I literally saw him yell at two assistants because workers on the street below were using jackhammers and he wanted them to go down and stop them! The bathroom situation was untenable. Every stall was occupied at all times and they frequently ran out of soap and paper towels before the end of the day. I came away with the feeling that this place is being groomed to sell and they were using the lax tax laws of Texas as a shelter before shipping everyone's job overseas. Good luck with that, people!

Advice to Management

Stage a coup against Darko.

RSS Feed </> Embed