Active Network

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • There are no pros to working here, other than you can work from home on certain campaigns (in 19 reviews)

• The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to Start

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative

I worked at Active Network part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Encouraging training staff; I liked getting people out to explore our national parks

Cons

Low pay for hours worked

Was once an awesome company, not a mere shred of 2011

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a great culture, not anymore. Private equity acquisition and volatility has ruined the environment

Cons

Management is awful. Once great, now completely inept and lacking real world experience. I trained my manager for over a year and he even made me record my sales presentations in an attempt for him to learn the product that he was managing, complete joke.

Take 2 weeks off, then quit.

Not high stress, but a dead end job.

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent work/life balance, not high pressure.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Lack of management transparency. Low to non existent raises. No bonuses.

More transparency needed.

Nice people

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, encourage physical activity, opportunity for travel to see customers and prospects, also nice to go to Vancouver for work

Cons

weird product offerings, little thought before jumping into a market with unsuitable products and almost no support, very glad to be gone before move to Dallas from San Diego!

Might be okay for some people

Former Employee - Reservation Agent - Work At Home
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent - Work At Home

I worked at Active Network part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The #1 positive thing I had from working with Active Network was the ability to work at home. The training was good, and the trainers were really positive. 95% of training is self guided, which worked for me - but I don't think it can work for everyone. Once I was on my own, I felt I had the support of most of the WAH support members. Most calls are positive calls, and you rarely get an angry customer.

Cons

The pay is the biggest con. If I was paid more, I might have chosen to continue working for this company. I didn't enjoy the work I was doing.. although, if you like talking on phones for 8 hours, you might like it better than I did. Calls are back to back, no breaks, especially during the busy times. A couple members of the support team seemed annoyed by some valid questions I might have on a call, and I hated working some shifts for that reason alone.

More group training exercises are needed. I felt I did the training great, but I felt most of the group was just kind of pushed onto the phones when they weren't ready. There was only one group training exercises and I feel more of that would have been helpful.

Better pay or room for advancement would help that as well.

Working at Active Network

Current Employee - Client Appilication Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Client Appilication Analyst in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours/schedule has always been well balanced, time-off has always been granted when needed, and my supervisors have allowed me to grow without micromanaging me.

Cons

Not knowing what the future of my office is as the staff here shrinks is disconcerting.

More transparency would help employee moral, the majority of the departures here are from not knowing the status of the office.

Join this company at your own risk!

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great co-workers.... since this management team joined, no other positives can be stated unfortunately. Wish there were more.

Cons

- Top bad move - moving product dev to China including UX/BA. What a joke!
    - English is horrible for many and mass confusion
    - Coders making a mess - rework constantly
    - Production issues through the roof - really upset customers
    - Impact to North American employees very negative - picking up the pieces and time-zone/language barriers brutal
    - Most subject matter experts have quit. What's next? No one left who knows anything.
    - In impacted markets, Customers leaving in droves
    - Employees who saw/see where this is leading, have left or are leaving in droves. First it was Technology, then it was Operations and now finally Sales is getting hit hard. "A" performers leaving because they see no future.
    - Work Hard, Work Harder.... is the mantra. There's "no play". How can there be with these type of decisions?

Without your employees... you won't have a company. You do not value employees below you and you made that clear through actions and words. This the year 2015 - please start acting like it - really great hearing about the video cameras in the office monitoring employee comings/goings. Top leadership has even stood at the elevator to monitor who's leaving in the evening and when. That was the 1970's Management style - What a way to manage your employees today - but it absolutely fits with the mentality. Management by Fear is the Active Way!!!

Unique culture, work is not satisfying

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great workout program, relaxed atmosphere, young company. Work sponsored happy hours, everyone leaves at 4:00 pm and even earlier on Fridays.

Cons

The work can be frustrating and "change" is the biggest theme at Active. One week is not the same as the next. Product development has been non-existent and the company is in a bunch of different verticals where it simply doesn't belong.

Stabilize the business so that your employees know what direction it's going.

No regard for employees whatsoever

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on active lifestyle sort of

Cons

Company is moving tech jobs to China, existing employees are forced to work China hours for transition. Execs make "promises" for merit increases in return for additional effort, when complete the promise evaporates. Depends on the exec, some say they are "sorry" they couldn't make it happen, others just blow it off and ask for more effort. Company is evolving from tech to customer service/account management, if you are in tech forget it, your job is going to China.

Employees have concerns too. It's not always just about what you want.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Active Network

Pros

If you live in Vancouver, then life is amazing. Employees are treated like kings and queens.

Cons

Everything else. Management is ridiculous. It's all a popularity contest and not based on skills. Anyone outside Vancouver is treated as a leper.

Start hiring people that actually have work experience not just a degree.