Active Network Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great ideas, not so good execution

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to try out things on your own, and gives you the freedom to work on your innovation project. Spends money on tools you need to get your job done, focuses on open-source solutions. Has desire to be best of breed across of aspects of the company.

Cons

Needs better alignment to execute effectively down the chain of command. Strategic goals are executed on, but those conflict with day-to-day operations. Sometime these goals are in direct conflict with each other.

Advice to Management

Better line of sight to support day-to-day operations. Intimidation and arguing for the sake of arguing does not convey respect.

2. Sales Manager

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

Fun place to work and some growth opportunities

Cons

Large company, lots of hoops to jump through to get anything done.

3. Good Intern experience

Former Employee - Market Analyst (International) in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Market Analyst (International) in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network

Pros

Do some basic market research

Cons

the company is not so energetic

Senior Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

President's club benefits. Amazing culture of working out at work!

Cons

Micromanagement for senior level positions, metrics driven based on how many cold calls a day, demos, presentations, etc. Senior level positions should not have the same metrics as an entry level cold caller, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees for their hard work. You're driving your sales people into the ground!

Sinking ship

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were awesome. Soda & iced coffee machines. Active X created a really fun culture, even if you weren't a die-hard workout fanatic.

Cons

Micromanagement. Exec team has a very short term focus which leads them to think solely about their own wallets. Pay is below industry average (fairly common to hear those who left say they made substantially more in an equivalent position). The exec team does not care about employees. They simply want to squeeze every individual for all that they have. Lead by fear. Unethical Do not care about the customers anymore. Think that the technology is state of the art, but it is far from it.

Advice to Management

I won't waste my breath. I guarantee they don't care and won't listen.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network (Less than a year)

Pros

Have hired good people in the trenches

Cons

Management only focus is selling company. Have not put money ins R&D so products are suffering.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell

8. Active Network is a nice place to work.

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

The Salaries and environment is good

Cons

Some of the benefits could be better

This is the best company I've ever worked for, and I feel extremely appreciated here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Dallas office is great. There's a ping-pong table, a foosball table, free soda, free frozen yogurt, and a beautiful tavern area to eat in or work in. I've never had any problems working from home. My boss and his boss are both very laid back and only care that I get my job done, not that I'm in the office past a certain point. If some day I have to run an errand in the morning and I show up late, my boss just tells me not to worry about it, and I'll make it up some day in the future. We get a paid day off each year to do volunteer work, and another one to do something "active," which can range from marathons to a day at the museums. It's a nice way to encourage you to go do something fun with a day off. I've never felt more appreciated at a job. People are bizarrely thankful for things, my supervisors always tell me that they think I'm doing a great job, and my recent performance evaluation provided monetary evidence of their respect for me. Work-Life Balance is extremely important here, or at least in my department. My boss never wants us to kill ourselves overworking. Overtime happens, but it's pretty rare.

Cons

Parking is awful, since the Dallas office is downtown, but the company helps you out with $50 a month for parking or mass transit, so that's something. Benefits aren't great. We only have one health plan, and it's a high deductible plan. Other than that, though, I don't really have any big complaints. I do feel like there's some responsibility creep, but that could just be me in particular. Every so often I get assigned a project that leaves me wondering whether I'm really the right person, or even in the right department, for this sort of thing, but I always get lots of support from both peers and supervisors, so it's never terrible, and I figure it's good experience for the future.

Advice to Management

Get better benefits. They're probably the worst place to cheap out on.

Great job- Work hard and you'll succeed

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're driven and work hard, there's no limit to what you can do. The downtown Dallas office is great, and all of my coworkers have a ton of energy and enthusiasm. I've seen my efforts recognized by management, when I finish a project or work long hours. But we also have fun, and I have the flexibility to work from home or adjust my work hours when needed. The upper management tries to make a point of visiting us, which is pretty awesome. I like being able to talk about work, or life in general, with them, and know that they've got my back when I need it. The wellness "ActiveX" program encourages people to lead healthy, well-balanced lives, and that's a big part of company culture. There are a lot of events, such as happy hours, intramural teams, workout classes, and holiday potlucks. Also, if you're into that sort of thing, there are coffee, ice cream, soda, iced tea, iced coffee and slushy machines. And bagel Fridays.

Cons

There are certain positions in the company that seem like they would be less fulfilling, namely the MDR role. But, I've seen people who get their foot in the door with that job, and once they prove their worth, they're moved on to bigger and better things. I know some people don't like the changes in the company, but I see them as opportunities to embrace the change and be successful with it. The benefits aren't amazing. I know some people have families to support, and I don't know how good the health plan is for them. Parking gets pricey downtown, and only a portion is covered by the company.

Advice to Management

C-level management- keep visiting us on the lower floors!

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous base salary of 45 thousand dollars per year. Additional 15 thousand dollars per year for meeting minimum call metric requirements. Very nice co-workers. Excellent building and facilities.

Cons

What was my ACTIVE? Smoke & Mirrors. Stress. Hide my contempt of moronic direct supervisors. Some days, my team would show up before 7AM, and would be "encouraged" to stay until after 7pm. The direct requirement from senior management was to create at least 11k worth of opportunities each and every day. The territories are arbitrarily assigned, without any regard to sales potential in each. The top performers randomly received inbound opportunities in excess of 100k, and that is the reason for their success. Still, we would be instructed to ask them what they were doing right, so we could have the same success. Micro management would be an understatement. The managers do not even know the products that they bark at salesmen to sell. I felt guilty for the sales I made, because the support customers receive is laughable. I was successful at this company. I resigned because the I felt this was a complete joke and a house of cards. This was also the highest paying job I have ever had. Still, I was completely miserable. I have never left a job so fast. I lined up another position before I gave notice. I know others that quit before they had another position elsewhere. That is how terrible this place is. RUN.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves

RSS Feed </> Embed