Active Network

Active Network Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Darko Dejanovic

141 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to be if you want to work

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsInteresting business with some interesting challenges

ConsMy manager spends more time exercising than helping me close my business.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

People are hired for personality, not business sense, skill, or even potential skill.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe people are phenomenal, and the wellness (ActiveX) program.

ConsI never felt secure about my compensation, and why I was getting paid what I was getting paid. The management in the Sports and Endurance verticals, are extremely gossipy and many times completely unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour job is to motivate sales reps to be their best, and go to bat for them, not to work against them, or make them feel replaceable.

Active Network & employees

San Diego, CA

ProsFree workouts, office has nice view.

ConsNo advancement (was told to wait 2-5 years for a promotion), massive internal politics, unclear direction, segmented office environment, does not welcome or integrate new employees. Negotiating a raise can turn into a yelling argument.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a better mix of departments. The departmental and product-team wars tore the culture apart. Need to think of culture building that does not include fitness.

Better path of growth, and more transparency into the way HR treats those negotiating a raise.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

used to be great...then the folks from Monster came and destroyed the culture. the place is now haunted by "monsters".

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe benefits were good, flexible work schedules and telecommuting, great peers, and interesting SaaS products. Back in the day we were engineering great solutions.

ConsPoor integration of acquired companies. Stopped hiring engineers and started using third parties for most projects at high costs. After the folks from Monster arrived the company started dying. the culture was decimated, mistrust grew, and the micromanagement started. If you were not at your desk and the CTO (who is now President) did not see you at your desk you would be reprimanded by your supervisor. It did not matter that you spent all day in useless meetings to satisfy the Napoleon complex of certain senior leaders and that was why you were not in your seat. The executives do not trust employees and have introduced a culture of fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late, the company is dying. At this point sell what you can and retire. Few would choose to work with you again.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stay away... A Once Fun Place to work has turned Toxic

Director of Technology (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Pros1. It was a growing high-tech company in SD.
    2. Lots of opportunities for growth and exposure to solving large-scale web ops.
    3. Great colleagues and truly a fun place to work.

Cons1. CEO and senior executives have been very clear. They only care about thing: Shareholder value. Employees don't make the top 5 priorities.

2. Given point #1, they will work you down to the bone and then layoff when it's time to reduce expenses. People are asked to come to the office early and leave late, or get more verbal abuse the following day.

3. IT, product, and development groups have become incredibly toxic places, where it's all about looking good. CEO cares about managing perceptions more than anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing that I can write here that would cause them to change. Be honest. The truth always comes out in the end.

Tarnished by leadership

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsActive has jobs and people need jobs. Salaries can be competitive, if you push hard enough. There are also some (but very few) good mid-level leaders left in the organization.

ConsThe former culture of Active is no longer intact. The days of leaders who live and breath the Active lifestyle is long since departed. The Active of today is driven solely by dollars, cents and margins. This combined with a complete lack of transparency between employees and leadership has created palatable uncertainty and angst. Additionally, business decisions rarely feel as though they have the employees best interest at heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwn your decisions. Be honest. Have integrity.

Active but not effective...

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsModern facility with nice perks, gym, pool. The are lots of smart people in the "doing the work ranks." Good opportunity to network with other professionals.

ConsPeople are not valued. Leadership adds little to no value and mostly creates chaos and not respected as a result. Team culture is not embraced despite the company credo. At this point, the people making the decisions are largely the problem. The future is not promising.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Ah but you won't because that you be you.

No Job Security Here

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFun atmosphere in some areas, hell in others like sales

ConsThe company has no real direction or strategy that sets it apart, since being acquired, there have been a multitude of layoffs and they will continue as the company tries to get 'lean'. A lot of top talent has gotten fed up and left. This company will eventually either be bought out - again or the doors will permanently be closed. The San Diego headquarters will be closed and likely moved to somewhere more welcoming to business like Texas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many layers of management, most of the managers have no real function and do no real work.

Leadership focused on numbers, not people

San Diego, CA

ProsFlexible schedule, ACTIVEx program, genuine programs to help employees grow with leadership skills, and great people to work with.

ConsFocused too much on bottom line, lack of internal communications, do as I say versus as I do environment, exec management seems out of touch with employee base. "Rumors" of moving to Texas no longer rumor when you see your job posted for Texas.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to walk the talk - while there are great programs for leadership growth, exec management doesn't seem to exhibit the same qualities touted in those workshops. If this is meritocracy, then "favorite" employees shouldn't be shielded from producing poor work product.

Disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat Culture, Emphasis on Fitness and Well Being, Many wonderful co-workers, If the company can get out of its disorganized start-up mode with the right upper management team I believe they will go places, awesome overall mission

ConsToo many acquisitions, too many products to sell that are virtually the same, Processes across acquisitions not streamlined and very convoluted, Absolutely no training, if you can't figure things out on your own and can't strive in chaos you'll want to look elsewhere, Management is borderline useless - very little substance/all talk. Same issues for years and years and nothing changes. Behind the competition technology-wise

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a strong business plan and see it through

Worked for Active Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Active Network reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Active Network CEO Darko Dejanovic. All 141 reviews posted anonymously by Active Network employees.