Active Network

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.7

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • There are no pros to working here, other than you can work from home on certain campaigns (in 18 reviews)

• We also had a nice work-life balance and usually had fun office activities (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Tough place to work if you are lazy

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. You can learn a lot. Many changes-most of them are really needed.

Cons

Company is going through a lot of changes and many are fighting it.

Be more transparent. We all know about the new location.

Excited about the company for the first time in many years

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Finally, I see some exciting ideas and strategy. Employees who want to be here are excited again. We have bills to pay and want to be successful and I'm tired of those that are hurting the rest of us. If you are not happy-leave! I will take your salary as I need and want to work.

Cons

We still have too many people collecting paycheck for doing nothing.

Great place to work if you like working

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a very interesting company to work for. Decent products, tough but fair management. I've been promoted twice in the past 9 months. If you work hard there are a lot of opportunities.

Cons

Most of my colleagues were jealous of my most recent promotion. The comments were that I should stick with them so we can get rid of the management and bring "the old Active back". I don't want the old Active back. I know some of you will know who I am but I don't care.

great concept, unsure of future with new leadership and ownership

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture

great employee benefits (medical benefits, yoga, lunchtime workouts, bagel fridays in san diego)

great industry (activity participation management)

Cons

company was a great fit in san diego, but now moving all positions to dallas, but management has still not communicated this to employees

new management likes to rule by fear

no longer recognized on purely performance, but rather hours worked

leadership has publicly voiced that they are no longer interested in having a good company culture

you're losing great talent and institutional knowledge due to excessive turnover. also, let people know you are moving the headquarters to dallas, everyone knows this is coming so it's best to be transparent.

learn to appreciate your staff and reward them and they will work hard for you.

Many changes. Seems to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good, you work hard. I just joined 3 months ago and it is definitely a place going through many changes. They seem the right changes that were long overdue.

Cons

My coworkers constantly complain about something-hard to listen to every day.

Currently Running Downhill

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The building in San Diego is fairly nice. I believe they still have Active X.

Cons

Everyone is jumping ship which leaves some poor souls to pick up the pieces. Upper management is so in tune to roadmaps, spreadsheets, and deliverables that they've forgotten about the quality of the product and the people who work for them. I was constantly lied to about promotions while given extra duties and more work.

Be honest and care about product quality instead of pumping out features.

Company shifted from extremely casual to overly corporate/bureaucratic during my tenure

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Active has a collection of smart and talented people working in product development and on the technology teams and I personally benefited from working with them. The company works within a variety of interesting markets and there are many interesting projects that teams are working on.

Cons

Management changes have resulted in cutbacks and misalignment of many internal business units resulting in internal/external dissatisfaction and high rate of turnover. Personally, I was dismayed by the lack of concern over the attrition of key staff members and the client base.

Active is the Titanic. Don't be Rose or Jack.

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. Everything that was good about this place is gone. ActiveX is still there, but there's only so much negative that the program can make up for.

Cons

The culture is gone; the heart & soul of the company is gone; you won't advance unless you're buddies with the head of your department; annual reviews/increases are a joke; no bonuses tho they expect you to work your butt off for them; so many people have left that the people who have been left in charge by default have no idea what's going on or how to run a business. But since it would appear the company is moving to TX, maybe their lack of management skills/abilities isn't such a big deal for the short term.

Resign. In lieu of that, show some respect for your employees who have given blood, sweat, and tears to this company. Reward the people who actually do the hard work not just those who brown nose and talk a good game. Be honest with the employees about the future of the company; stop ignoring the rumors about TX in hopes that they go away. Communicate in an open and honest manner. The employees who haven't abandoned you yet deserve some answers.

Good work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, results driven, great people

Cons

Overall vision created by a few

Need to create vision with more input

The Active Ship Isn't Sinking. It Already Sank.

Current Employee - Software in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ActiveX program encourages a healthy lifestyle
    Mid-level managers are empathetic to employees
    Salaries and benefits are decent
    Job is located in San Diego
    Flexible work hours

Cons

I'll share what I wrote for my exit survey:
    4. What triggered your decision to leave ACTIVE?

1) Executives hiding behind an NDA so that they don't have to tell employees about company plans. Good news is shared. Only bad news is "hidden", though they do a poor job of hiding anything -- everyone hears the leaks and knows about the plans.
    2) Developers showing up from China unannounced to take over work from US-based teams. This is the most bone-headed move I have ever seen in my years as an engineer. Fear does not drive performance. Nobody is going to stick around when there is a chance that they could instantly be replaced by a team from China.
    3) Comments that can only be described as completely idiotic, made by the CEO during company-wide briefings. "Look to your left, look to your right, one of them isn't going to be working here any more". These comments do nothing to build employee trust in the leadership or the direction of the company, and they made my job as a manager even more difficult.
    4) Replacement of San Diego-based skilled engineers with "senior engineers" in China who might be cheaper but are completely unqualified to be working on enterprise software systems. I interviewed a couple of these folks, and the office manager in China even told me that I "had" to hire one of them. If I "had" to hire one of them, why did I waste my time on the interview?
    5) Failure by the management to identify critical employees and retain them, and to hire replacements for engineers who have left. One of my teams once had 7 engineers; now we only have 2. This is a team that is mission critical. The team is now down to two relatively junior to mid-level engineers.
    6) Failure on the executives' part to recognize that highly skilled and highly experienced people are working under them. Active is not the military, and nobody here enjoys taking orders. The last straw for me was having the R&D metrics forced upon myself and my teams, with no chance to provide feedback. I ultimately saw that there was zero chance of being able to perform well under this system, which changed the calculus for me remaining here vs. moving to a new position elsewhere.

I'd like to be clear: most people, and most managers at this company are highly skilled, experienced and capable. It's the people at the very top - the executives - that have brought this ship down.

To the executives: resign.