Active Network

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
2.6

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program (in 17 reviews)

• You work from home if you're sick or you can take a vacation day (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

152 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Never worked for a company with so many people now willing to work

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are willing to work hard you can do really well at this company.

Cons

Most of my coworkers spend their day complaining. I just can't wait for all of them to go somewhere else and realize how good they had it.

Why are you taking so long to fire all bad performers?

Dynamic place to work at

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great environment. This company will do well once it fixes itself.

Cons

Not the most comfortable place to be. A lot of changes-nothing bad-just a lot.

Long time Employee So Glad to Be Out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work/life balance was decent

Cons

leadership has gone to pot and the pay is absolutely appalling

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company culture, but unfair pay and instability

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture. Yoga and circuit training at lunch. Good benefits. Gym on campus with all access pool and tennis courts. Good people work there.

Cons

Compensation below average and they tend to move you around to positions they need rather than use you for what you were originally hired on for. The management in my department is horrendous but I have heard their are great managers in other departments. Opportunity to grow is slim to zero opportunity.

Have regular reviews with your teams below certain managers. I have been here for over a year and have not had ONE personal review by my direct manager or from the manager above my manager to assess how he is doing.

A bunch of former employees complaining about the company.

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company finally making necessary changes.

Cons

This board is full of ex employees who got termed. I just spoke to one who already posted 5 negative ratings about the company hoping that the company will have tough time recruiting. That's not fair and I told him that. Be an adult, you got canned, move on!!

Communicate about Texas as soon as possible.

Great resume builder but not long term career

Current Employee - Technical Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a lot of experience working for Active Network that will help your resume.

Cons

They don't give enough feedback to know where you are sitting, even after you ask them for it. They say you can change divisions if you want to pursue a different field but when you ask your supervisor to start the process it never happens.

Give feedback to your employees especially when they ask for it.

From Great to Awful

Current Employee - Management  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you thrive in an environment with poor leadership, little communication (consisting of mostly false information), and no respect for employees then look no further.

Cons

1. No respect for employees - the executives view their employees as expendable, lazy, and never as competent or as smart as themselves.
    2. Incompetent C-level - all of the recently promoted C-level employees are incapable of successfully performing their jobs. The CPO in particular has never managed a product before and doesn't have the first clue what he should be doing. Promotions were based on the CEO needing people around him that don't threaten him in any way and could never take over his position. Most of the great senior leaders and prior C-level execs have left the company.
    3. Poor communication - Executives are extremely secretive and don't trust any of their employees. Signing internal NDAs is a constant requirement to get any information. Employees are constantly lied to. Case in point: the company has planned to relocate headquarters to Texas since it's acquisition in November, but the message to employees remains "we have not finalized any plans, so we can't comment." Even though many people have already been offered relocation packages and the Union Tribune paper has written an article on the move.
    4. Failed projects - the leadership team has done nothing over the past two years to organically grow the company. Their track record is failing at one thing after another and never figuring out if a return will be worth the investment (or even possible without enough of an investment).
    5. Massive attrition and low morale - the issues above have led to huge attrition (several employees resign each week). Morale is horrible and people openly talk about finding new jobs and openly conduct interviews at work.

Advice to Vista: change out the C-level management team before all of your great employees and important customers leave.

Advice to Active: Learn other techniques than management by fear. Don't assume you know better than everyone else, especially people with years more experience than you in a particular technology or market.

Senior Account Manager

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Remote Work, Young Company, good teams, smart co-workers

Cons

constant strategy change, top-down decisions, no synergy, perks vanishing into thin air, little promitions

Anyone walking into Active can most likely tell you what's wrong in 2 weeks. The company has bought out it's competition over the years, stripped the companies like a stolen car and invested very little in them over the years. Each business unit is run differently than the next and it's almost easier to work with competition vs. other departments. When management makes decisions it's meant for their core products and often has little to nothing to do with the other 50% of the company.

It is possible to advance in the company but only in the bigger business units. My message to management, don't bring in consulting groups for a quick & overpriced change once a year and pat yourselves on the back for something you don't finish on. Look to your employees in the field and their managers to see what's needed to win in their markets. If you're truly a technology company, invest in R&D. Also, have your HR teams look within before posting jobs.

Fun, committed group of professionals that interacted more as a family than a company.

Former Employee - Multimedia Designer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

co-workers, healthy lifestyle, dedication, company ownership

Cons

Sold the company, new owners didn't embrace the lifestyle Active promotes like the previous, low salary

Worry more about the employees like the previous management did before worrying about the next fork in the road. The employees will get you through that fork.

A good place to be if you want to work

I have been working at Active Network full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting business with some interesting challenges

Cons

My manager spends more time exercising than helping me close my business.

Worked for Active Network? Contribute to the Community!