Active Network

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.6

Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, including a cool employee wellness program (in 19 reviews)

• There are no pros to working here, other than you can work from home on certain campaigns (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a challenge for me, as the "hours in" were at least 50 per week (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management uses a lot of fear so middle management has poor examples (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

159 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Active is the Titanic. Don't be Rose or Jack.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. Everything that was good about this place is gone. ActiveX is still there, but there's only so much negative that the program can make up for.

Cons

The culture is gone; the heart & soul of the company is gone; you won't advance unless you're buddies with the head of your department; annual reviews/increases are a joke; no bonuses tho they expect you to work your butt off for them; so many people have left that the people who have been left in charge by default have no idea what's going on or how to run a business. But since it would appear the company is moving to TX, maybe their lack of management skills/abilities isn't such a big deal for the short term.

Resign. In lieu of that, show some respect for your employees who have given blood, sweat, and tears to this company. Reward the people who actually do the hard work not just those who brown nose and talk a good game. Be honest with the employees about the future of the company; stop ignoring the rumors about TX in hopes that they go away. Communicate in an open and honest manner. The employees who haven't abandoned you yet deserve some answers.

Good work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, results driven, great people

Cons

Overall vision created by a few

Need to create vision with more input

The Active Ship Isn't Sinking. It Already Sank.

Current Employee - Software in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ActiveX program encourages a healthy lifestyle
    Mid-level managers are empathetic to employees
    Salaries and benefits are decent
    Job is located in San Diego
    Flexible work hours

Cons

I'll share what I wrote for my exit survey:
    4. What triggered your decision to leave ACTIVE?

1) Executives hiding behind an NDA so that they don't have to tell employees about company plans. Good news is shared. Only bad news is "hidden", though they do a poor job of hiding anything -- everyone hears the leaks and knows about the plans.
    2) Developers showing up from China unannounced to take over work from US-based teams. This is the most bone-headed move I have ever seen in my years as an engineer. Fear does not drive performance. Nobody is going to stick around when there is a chance that they could instantly be replaced by a team from China.
    3) Comments that can only be described as completely idiotic, made by the CEO during company-wide briefings. "Look to your left, look to your right, one of them isn't going to be working here any more". These comments do nothing to build employee trust in the leadership or the direction of the company, and they made my job as a manager even more difficult.
    4) Replacement of San Diego-based skilled engineers with "senior engineers" in China who might be cheaper but are completely unqualified to be working on enterprise software systems. I interviewed a couple of these folks, and the office manager in China even told me that I "had" to hire one of them. If I "had" to hire one of them, why did I waste my time on the interview?
    5) Failure by the management to identify critical employees and retain them, and to hire replacements for engineers who have left. One of my teams once had 7 engineers; now we only have 2. This is a team that is mission critical. The team is now down to two relatively junior to mid-level engineers.
    6) Failure on the executives' part to recognize that highly skilled and highly experienced people are working under them. Active is not the military, and nobody here enjoys taking orders. The last straw for me was having the R&D metrics forced upon myself and my teams, with no chance to provide feedback. I ultimately saw that there was zero chance of being able to perform well under this system, which changed the calculus for me remaining here vs. moving to a new position elsewhere.

I'd like to be clear: most people, and most managers at this company are highly skilled, experienced and capable. It's the people at the very top - the executives - that have brought this ship down.

To the executives: resign.

Everyone I know here is trying to escape this place.

Current Employee - In A Position to Know On Executive Floor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - In A Position to Know On Executive Floor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are considering a move to Texas and low pay and morale are not a big issues or if you desperately need a job, Active is worth considering as a short term solution.

Cons

Pay is extremely low and will be getting lower as operations move to Texas and as private equity owners, who are in over their heads, attempt to fall back on cost-cutting strategy that has worked before with smaller less complicated companies, but will fail this time. Upper management flaunts personal wealth and are openly disdainful of low paid underlings.

Abandon shortsighted demoralization strategy designed cause attrition and lower WARN Act expense related to upcoming HQ relo to Texas.

Culture and leadership on a negative trend.

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Industry, clients/customers, mid level management and all the employees, fantastic. ActiveX is a huge plus, one of the highlights of the company still remaining.

Cons

Executive leadership and their management style/ethics. So many of the highly respected leaders have left the company, huge turnover as a result.

Demonstrate stronger leadership and humanity, culture/morale,commitment have deteriorated so significantly since former leadership team has left. Understand your employee base, and that which builds and sustains a positive and motivating work environment. Visibly support ActiveX, employees love it, one reason many hang on.

Probably way cooler place to work than most other jobs in San Diego

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young, lively, driven, dedicated, hard working caring staff. Your team is your family and we are loyal. I've learned a lot and kept a lot of my independence. Yes the culture has changed but change isn't always a bad thing.

Cons

The target has moved several times, hard to know what we're working towards.

Be more transparent

in a constant state of change but held together by smart, promising talent

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-some strong, up and coming management team
    -excellent people
    -decent pay

Cons

-the product needs updating, falling behind in industry
    -corporate communications needs improvement; transparency is consistent issue

invent in the happiness and well being of your employees. they are willing to work hard, but they need more assurance that their work is valued. create an environment where contributing and innovating is appreciated and encouraged. In turn, a lifestyle will be born.

Good place to work getting better

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good place to work. You can make excellent money if you are willing to work.

Cons

Bad culture. Most people want to get paid well without working hard (I'm based in San Diego)

Never worked for a company with so many people now willing to work

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are willing to work hard you can do really well at this company.

Cons

Most of my coworkers spend their day complaining. I just can't wait for all of them to go somewhere else and realize how good they had it.

Why are you taking so long to fire all bad performers?

Long time Employee So Glad to Be Out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work/life balance was decent

Cons

leadership has gone to pot and the pay is absolutely appalling