ActiveVideo

ActiveVideo President, CEO, and Director Jeff Miller

Jeff Miller

Great Potential for Product

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Management team, smart development engineers, a technology foundation that can be leveraged in various verticals. Good momentum recently with repackaging the product to fit various use cases and verticals.

ConsEntire company needs to see the broader vision of what the technology is capable of. They have been unfortunately branded as serving a legacy market that is so not true. It has the potential to become a next generation cutting edge technology but the company and it's customers have to see it with the right lenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the right vision but go aggressively at it. Take some risks with re positioning the core technology and i think it will pay off.

Toxic Environment

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsProduct is technically interesting, and could change the cable industry if they were open to change.

ConsThe management team is a a clutch of sycophants surrounding an indecisive and ineffective leader. With the management team that is in place, the company hasn’t been successful yet, and is unlikely to move to success. It is an environment reminiscent of the 1950’s - very conservative and unimaginative. Innovation is non-existent. The product needs much work before it is production-ready. Because the company is not successful, there is little opportunity for employee growth. It is a culture of blame and political maneuvering.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold yourselves and the employees accountable.

Overworked, under-appreciated, and the product is not so great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsYou can get exposure to an industry you otherwise don't have access to. Good to get but not stay with this company.

ConsToo much management, not enough employees. No work life balance. They don't treat you like an employee, it is more like indentured servitude. Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and as a result it looks like they have egg on their faces with the customer too much. The product is interesting but currently doesn't really have money making ability so other than the flashy parts MSO's really should put their money elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about how abusive your middle management is and how much your people are totally overworked.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting company and great product.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat technology built by a hardworking and committed team. Most naysayers from the past few years are gone now. The team is growing with new people who really want the company to succeed. The market needs our product more than ever and we are delivering.

ConsDon't come here if you don't want to work hard. There are more opportunities than we can handle and it is stressful sometimes. We are not as organized as we should be which causes us to waste time and do things twice sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a tiger by the tail. Don't let go! Be sure your managers are doing what you think they are. Sometimes they are not.

This company is on fireā€¦ in a good way

ProsEverything is finally coming together: technology, strategy, market need.
    Intelligent and friendly co-workers.
    Great perks, nice office, good coffee and espresso, company events, fair compensation and benefits.

ConsThis company has gone through many ups and downs; primarily because the technology was far ahead of the market. Some long days and tight deadlines, but this is pretty typical of tech companies. Morale used to be pretty mixed, but most of the bad attitudes are gone now. It's mostly an energetic, positive team now.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are on a roll. Keep it going. Make sure we have the resources to execute on our key opportunities.

It was a good company to work for when I joined, but the culture had changes after management changed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are very helpful, good communication

Consno clear career path, no rewards for hardwork

Advice to Senior Managementvalue talent, be more transparent

Great opportunity to change the world of television

ProsCutting edge technology and strong patents. Good coworkers, many of which really want to see the company succeed. Recent management changes are making a positive impact. The company is receiving a lot of new positive press.

ConsNot enough employees for what they want to do. Downsizing in the past couple of years means more work for current employees. Hiring is picking up now, but still behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great vision for the company, but make sure you are aligning the vision with the staff size you have. The opportunity is big, but you need enough people to reach it.

Chaotic and Opportunistic, just waiting for the company to IPO or get bought out.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsSome very knowledgeable people. Access to an industry I would otherwise not be able to crack. Learning a lot. Contacts made mean I have a much better chance of finding another job should this company fail.

ConsPeople are so overworked and the threat of people getting fired which keeps happening every 6 months to a year keeps people very cut throat and tattle tailing for fear of losing their own job. WAY too many managers. Disorganized. Needs more people to handle the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a 24X7 shop, this company needs 3 shifts and to spread out so it can actually cover 24X7 without screwing the employee who is currently working ridiculous hours and have no life.

Do not work here unless you desperately wanted a job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits are not bad at all: they have gym and snack. Good office location. Good health insurance coverage. Good coworkers to work with.

ConsThis is a 21-year old start-up. IPO is a dream. Horrible managers and lots of politics. Very disorganized. . You spent a lot of time every week sitting in long meetings that were not related to your work. Too much turnover in this small company. Think many times before making decision to join any small team there.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow can the Sr management tell whether the managers are lying to them or not?

A little of everything

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChance to learn by bad examples of executive management

ConsC level staff are argumentative, inbred, out for themselves and lie like a rug.
    Miller couldn't tell the truth if he was asking for a glass of water
    No clear cut strategy, business plan. Constantly changing direction, positions, etc.
    Other than winning patent lawsuit, they couldn't make money on their own.

Worked for ActiveVideo? Contribute to the Community!