ActiveVideo Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
2.6

ActiveVideo President, CEO, and Director Jeff Miller
Jeff Miller

Great people building an exciting product

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ActiveVideo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great chance to work with some people who really understand television technology in an industry that is changing quickly. There are some really smart people here who are willing to help you learn new things and grow your career. There are opportunities to move around in the company and try new things. Some people work remotely and the company accommodates them. The product works well and seems to be catching on with customers. For the first time several customers are installing the technology at the same time and they are very happy, but the downside is that it is a bit chaotic as we change from being R&D focused to a product delivery company.

The company is spread in 3 locations, San Jose, Amsterdam and Los Angeles. That's unusual for a company this size and leads to some communication problems. All three teams have great people though, and the management team finally seems to be getting that under control with better communication between the R&D team in Amsterdam and the application and operations teams in LA and SJ. The CTO from Amsterdam spent part of the last year in SJ and helped close some of the gaps.

Pay and benefits are good and include stock options and bonuses in most years. Good PTO and company holidays. Breakfast on Fridays, free snacks and drinks and a happy hour a couple of times per month. There is an all-hands meeting with the CEO that happens a couple of times per month that is an interesting time to learn about what the company is doing straight from the top. Company events are fun and I wish there were more of them.

Cons

Some of the cons in the other comments on Glassdoor are true, but way overstated. I sometimes wonder if they worked in the same company I do. Some managers don't communicate very well and don't spend enough time giving direction and recognition. There was turnover on the executive team last year that shocked the culture in SJ especially. Two COOs in one year. The new COO is rigid and driven by numbers. I like that but some don't. We seem to be chasing too many things at once which leads to a feeling of chaos. We don't spend enough time finishing the last thing before we start something else.

Be careful not to burn out your employees. Your vision is good, but not worth anything if you can't execute it. Make sure your managers are communicating with each other and hold them accountable for their teams. Make sure we finish what we start.

Very 'old school' style company, 'top-down' communication style (rather than collaborative).

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in San Jose, CA

I worked at ActiveVideo as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Can learn a lot about broadcast technology, both old and new. Because of working here, I now know why the Comcast picture "pixel-izes," for example, and learned about QAMs and all manner of other television and video related technologies.

Cons

Expectations of what a good technical writer does are sadly too low. I heard a lot of "you don't need to know that" in answer to lots of questions. They wanted a typist, not a technical writer (one capable of programming, btw). Rather depressing and dispiriting to anyone who gets in and digs as mu

Appearances are deceiving

I have been working at ActiveVideo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive Salaries (when you start)

Knowledgeable employees

Good health care benefits

Cons

The company lacks a strong consistent vision. Every couple of years the executive team seems to change a bit, and with it the focus of the company shifts. Old ideas are trashed and new ideas are sold to the company as the "golden ticket" to our end goal.

Employees often stagnate in their positions with no growth potential. More often than not, when opportunity opens up, a new face is brought in from the outside rather than promote someone from inside.

Core teams have previously been cut and the work outsourced, which leads to strong sense of instability across the company.

Projects/Products are (mis)managed by more people than actual engineers/workers. The company is EXTREMELY top-heavy.

Communication between departments is abysmal; the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing most of the time.

Employees are often told how invaluable they are, yet rewards are few and far between. Stock options are rarely granted so the motivation of working hard for something bigger is lacking. The expectation is to constantly sprint to the finish line, when the finish line is nowhere in sight. Employees are getting (or already are) burnt out, and nobody wants to break their own back to make the executives rich.

Time is tracked tightly and employees are persuaded to focus all energy on billable time leaving little if any time to learn, create, and innovate new ideas.

The company operates re-actively to current issues and doesn't seem to spend enough resources on proactive thinking/planning for the future.

No 401k matching

Stop trying to adhere to a magic formula for success. Be more organic, work with your team, nurture you team, there are GREAT people here that want to succeed. A great company will sell itself, this constant posturing we do to make us more desirable for investors is having the adverse affect internally; it's like a cancer eating away at us from the inside.

Management needs to be held more accountable. Annual reviews need to work both ways; employees need to review their managers as much as managers need to review their employees.

Do you want to be in charge of *co-workers* that are just replaceable parts in a machine?
    Or do you want to lead a *team* who work with you to solve problems, who will help each other out because they don't want to see the team fail, who will rally behind you all the way to the end? You can't treat employees like parts a machine, or numbers in a magic equation to have success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Potential for Product

I worked at ActiveVideo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Management team, smart development engineers, a technology foundation that can be leveraged in various verticals. Good momentum recently with repackaging the product to fit various use cases and verticals.

Cons

Entire company needs to see the broader vision of what the technology is capable of. They have been unfortunately branded as serving a legacy market that is so not true. It has the potential to become a next generation cutting edge technology but the company and it's customers have to see it with the right lenses.

You have the right vision but go aggressively at it. Take some risks with re positioning the core technology and i think it will pay off.

Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ActiveVideo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Product is technically interesting, and could change the cable industry if they were open to change.

Cons

The management team is a a clutch of sycophants surrounding an indecisive and ineffective leader. With the management team that is in place, the company hasn’t been successful yet, and is unlikely to move to success. It is an environment reminiscent of the 1950’s - very conservative and unimaginative. Innovation is non-existent. The product needs much work before it is production-ready. Because the company is not successful, there is little opportunity for employee growth. It is a culture of blame and political maneuvering.

Hold yourselves and the employees accountable.

Overworked, under-appreciated, and the product is not so great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ActiveVideo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can get exposure to an industry you otherwise don't have access to. Good to get but not stay with this company.

Cons

Too much management, not enough employees. No work life balance. They don't treat you like an employee, it is more like indentured servitude. Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and as a result it looks like they have egg on their faces with the customer too much. The product is interesting but currently doesn't really have money making ability so other than the flashy parts MSO's really should put their money elsewhere.

Get a clue about how abusive your middle management is and how much your people are totally overworked.

Exciting company and great product.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ActiveVideo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great technology built by a hardworking and committed team. Most naysayers from the past few years are gone now. The team is growing with new people who really want the company to succeed. The market needs our product more than ever and we are delivering.

Cons

Don't come here if you don't want to work hard. There are more opportunities than we can handle and it is stressful sometimes. We are not as organized as we should be which causes us to waste time and do things twice sometimes.

You have a tiger by the tail. Don't let go! Be sure your managers are doing what you think they are. Sometimes they are not.

This company is on fire… in a good way

I have been working at ActiveVideo

Pros

Everything is finally coming together: technology, strategy, market need.
    Intelligent and friendly co-workers.
    Great perks, nice office, good coffee and espresso, company events, fair compensation and benefits.

Cons

This company has gone through many ups and downs; primarily because the technology was far ahead of the market. Some long days and tight deadlines, but this is pretty typical of tech companies. Morale used to be pretty mixed, but most of the bad attitudes are gone now. It's mostly an energetic, positive team now.

You guys are on a roll. Keep it going. Make sure we have the resources to execute on our key opportunities.

It was a good company to work for when I joined, but the culture had changes after management changed

I worked at ActiveVideo

Pros

People are very helpful, good communication

Cons

no clear career path, no rewards for hardwork

value talent, be more transparent

Great opportunity to change the world of television

I have been working at ActiveVideo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cutting edge technology and strong patents. Good coworkers, many of which really want to see the company succeed. Recent management changes are making a positive impact. The company is receiving a lot of new positive press.

Cons

Not enough employees for what they want to do. Downsizing in the past couple of years means more work for current employees. Hiring is picking up now, but still behind.

You have a great vision for the company, but make sure you are aligning the vision with the staff size you have. The opportunity is big, but you need enough people to reach it.

Worked for ActiveVideo? Contribute to the Community!