Activision Blizzard

Add Photos

Activision Blizzard Director, President & Ceo Robert A. Kotick

Robert A. Kotick

Mellow

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

ProsVery mellow, culture was okay, everyone seemed like they knew what they were doing. Pretty fun for a summer job during college years.

ConsNo career growth if you're stuck in Quality Assurance. Bottom floors belongs to the Quality Assurance team and developer side of things. ect.

Advice to Senior ManagementMesh the floors together so communication would be better.

Terrible conditions

QA Tester (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsI guess if you like being abused for loving to game for work, this would be an ideal job.

ConsManagement takes advantage of skilled employees without remorse. As a result, high turnover, massive dissatisfaction and intense disconnect between lower and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay require overhaul in philosophy to maintain their prestige.

Solid Company

ProsAB is a company that treats it's employees well and, all things considered, is a good place to work. The people are very accomplished and get the job done. Fast paced with lots of work.

ConsVery corporate culture for a video game company. On-boarding consists of being "thrown into the deep end" right off the bat (could be a pro if you are the type of person who likes to figure thing out for yourself).

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience with Activision Blizzard was trying, exhausting, and confusing.

ProsPay was decent. People outside of my department were nice.

ConsWorking hours are long and strenuous, training is lousy, a culture of favoritism clearly prevails within the department. No work structure, no training, no clear direction, a massive confusion in the assignment of tasks. Once thing is said today and another is expected the next adding to the frustration. All of this created by an ego-centric personality type manager, who enjoyed playing blunt games of "exclusion" and "favoritism". His "One Team, One Mission" message simply meant "Anyone who does not agree with me is out", and "Any messes in the department stay within the department" (no spilling to upper management). Very clever! Hired and directed by him, was a Supervisor whose style was nothing but "harassing". The place has a 'GANG" like feel. Criticism and antagonism are clearly fostered. Just glad to be out.

Advice to Senior ManagementShame on you. Fire those you have just hired.

ActivisionBlizzard is a very fast-paced working environment with an increadably skilled workforce.

Santa Monica, CA

ProsIt's the people who make ActivisionBlizzard great!

ConsThe building and office conditions are awful - once inside the first floor you may mistake this video game company for an old insurance office.

Positive experience

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsEveryone is passionate about what they do, are considerate and hardworking coworkers.

ConsSometimes felt like upper management was out of touch with culture of employees.

What an amazing opportunity!

QA Tester (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsGet to work on upcoming games, work night shift... good people.

ConsIt is only for projects. No more projects, no more work

Fun environment and good people, but bad work-life balance and low compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Fun atmosphere (especially if you're a gamer)
    - Casual dress
    - Free soda and coffee...and other snacks depending on the day as mentioned by others
    - Many great people who are willing to answer questions and help where possible
    - You can play games at your desk
    - Office is closed between Christmas and New Years

Cons- Long hours needed to move projects along because of lack of resources - they are understaffed!
    - Start-up feel in terms of lack of defined processes (which can be a positive, but not something I expected to this extent in a company as old as this one)
    - Communication needs to improve both between and within departments - leads to confusion and misinformation
    - Political environment is very challenging to navigate for project decisions and career growth
    - Compensation is not great for contractors compared to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementStop abusing people! Long hours were expected to meet project milestones. It wasn't said directly, but it was implied during every discussion. Also, don't skimp on people! Lack of resources and direction undermines the effectiveness of projects and the long-term happiness of employees.

Great place to work.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsLots of talented and creative people with big hearts and a passion for making amazing games.

ConsWhen I worked there, the building decor was a bit worn out. Stained carpets, old furniture etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and candid with employees regarding org changes and what's happening in the business.

Collaborative work environment in a fun category

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople I worked with were great - solid team dynamics and good information sharing across your peers. Exciting, ever-changing category to work in.

ConsSenior management has too much of their hands in the development at times. I found us debating too much fine detail of the games in our senior management reviews, rather than keeping things at a strategic level.

Worked for Activision Blizzard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Activision Blizzard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Activision Blizzard CEO Robert A. Kotick. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Activision Blizzard employees.