Activision Publishing

Activision Publishing Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg

Eric Hirshberg

Pros
  • We take breaks often which is needed when testing video games(in 6 reviews)

• Good people, as you will be working alongside other gamers(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, poor job security, not a diverse product portfolio(in 10 reviews)

• Work life balance, constant treadmill approach(in 4 reviews)

Fun place to work at and great people to work with.

Fixed Assets Accountant (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsI enjoyed working for this company. I learned a lot and made many friends. They invest in the latest technology and software.

ConsIt really depends on the department and the manager you report to like most companies. The turnover is high in some departments as it is hard to get promotions or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to not shop by salary. You get what you pay for. They need to do more to retain good talent and be more people driven. Activision Management caters more to people right out of college than the seasoned professionals in my eyes. I was a contractor and wanted to be hired on permanently, but upper management didn't want to meet me half way and bring me on board.

Ok at the time worked

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsOk at the time worked

ConsNo room for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementNone a this time

Worked as a Functional QA tester for a summer

QA Tester (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat summer job
    decent hourly wages
    fun environment
    fun job
    benefits including cheap video games

ConsSome shifts are overnight shifts (round the clock testing)
    Long shifts at different points in development (12+) and 6 days a week (normally 8 hour days, 5 days a week)
    mandatory 1 hour unpaid lunch/dinner break

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in food for long shifts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learn all you can...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDepends on the management, usually older managers who have been there a while are very "Employee-centric" they will have your back. Many will work with your schedule. You have to be in the "right place, right time" for promotions. It isn't always based solely on your skill, but "who you know" really plays a big part. You can work on many different teams, and learn many different skills.

ConsNew managers are usually very "something to prove" and go above and beyond, even throwing people under the bus to show how "serious" they are about their position. A manager/supervisor etc. should not be someone who wants the position to earn more money, it should be someone who loves the department they are in and want nothing more than for everyone in the team to succeed. While there is a lot of favoritism, it is easy to get into the circle. Sometimes you get pulled into the "favorites" circle, without wanting to actually be a part of it. If you happen to get pulled in, you need to play ball. Be social, go out with the right people when they invite you out, etc. If you don't, some will see that that as being snubbed, and this can cost you your job. This can be very demanding of introverts who just want to go in, do their job and anything else they are tasked with, but don't really like going out for lunch or drinks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile new people do come in with amazing ideas, don't forget to keep doing what has already made you a great manager. I know it can be difficult, but the people who love you, do so because of the experience you bring.

Only for those who specialize in brown nosing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsContract thru Volt services. Not so great people to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage.

Recruitment Intern

Recruitment Intern (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFun and casual work environment, very friendly co-workers, work hard play hard corporate culture.

ConsNone that I can think of. It's a busy environment; people work extremely hard.

Decent place to work if you are looking for a stable job.

Level Designer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Prosdecent pay, stable job, good opportunity.

Consvery long crunch hours half of the time.

Great for the people, not for the money.

Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsLots of great people to work with. I have met some very great friends.

ConsNo real way to get ahead unless you want to be the cool guy and impress your seniors somehow. "Good ol' boys" attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with ambition fairly. They are the ones that will keep your ship afloat.

Studio Finance

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat chance to learn. Fun, young work environment. Good people to work with.

ConsNot much career growth, unless you're in programming. For studio finance, it's one of those jobs that you'll have for a long time.

You might be bored but you'll always be busy

Senior Tester (Former Employee)

ProsAlways a lot to do

ConsWork can be tedious, some employee are treated as disposable

Worked for Activision Publishing? Contribute to the Community!