Activision Publishing

Activision Publishing Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg

Eric Hirshberg

Pros
  • We take breaks often which is needed when testing video games(in 6 reviews)

• Good people, as you will be working alongside other gamers(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, poor job security, not a diverse product portfolio(in 10 reviews)

• Work life balance, constant treadmill approach(in 4 reviews)

Great company with history of promoting strong performers.

Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsOpportunities, compensation, values, strong management.

ConsWork life balance, constant treadmill approach

Smart employees, top heavy management.

Production (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsActivision routinely hires some of the best and brightest around. Very accomplished people to work with. Company leadership is excellent at creating revenue.

ConsTop heavy management. No openings for headcount at mid to junior level, however there will be a new SVP hired regularly. Prepare to do the job of two people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore indians, less chiefs.

Great environment to work in, but no loyalty or real opportunities to move up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery fun and relaxed working environment. Everyone who works here is very nice and usually willing to help you out.

ConsVery poor communication and budget planning. Management has no loyalty to you as their employee, they will just lay you off when they are done with you and hire someone to do it cheaper after you have set up a system.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider less contractors and more permanent employees. I think you will get better quality of work all around and many of the lower guys will be much happier and therefore more productive. You need to value the employees you have more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat pay, free games, fun parties.

ConsNo room for growth, micro managers, poor talent, monotonous.

As a QA test, a good summer-time job for a high schooler and nothing more.

QA Tester (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGood people, as you will be working alongside other gamers. You have opportunities to take leadership roles and feel that your contributions to the project are making an effect.

ConsLow pay and almost zero upward mobility. The QA department is literally and figuratively separated from the rest of the company. You will not be able to interact or shadow technical, art, or production seniors and learn how to contribute more to the company. The test style is also antiquated, so staying with the company may prevent you from being marketable elsewhere. Expect large amounts of overtime and a seasonal hiring environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate fewer testers into a larger development team. Though this would require a rethinking of the entire development process, where testers are also engineers that develop tools alongside the programmers.

Love playing video games!

QA Tester (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsI was able to test various games, which I loved. The staff was amazing, the games are fun, and competition is high! It was an opportunity to master the games before it is released to the public. I was able to learn a new system while working there and meet other interesting people.

ConsThe down-side to all the fun is a lower rate of pay. The job is typically only contract. So you can't stay there for a long time.

Great company where you earn your keep.

Senior Analyst - Supply Chain (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsYou'll likely be around top tier professionals. If you're not then you're in the wrong group. The culture is smart, hard working and filled with high performers.

ConsYou have to do your own work. Might sound silly, but this is not a place you can come on and survive on reputation and position alone

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of a "favorites" type culture. There are so many high quality people there, that it's actually easy to take for granted that quality. I've seen "glue guys" and girls overlooked simply because there isn't the need to appreciate them.

Fun company - no work/life balance

Recruiter (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Proship culture, lots of freebies, fast paced

ConsNo work life balance, long hours, no career development, no long term vision

Advice to Senior Managementdon't overload people with so much work that they get burnt out and quit

Great place to work and learn the ropes of the gaming industry.

Quality Assurance Tester (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat work atmosphere including management that is down to earth and friendly. There is passion for gaming all the way from top with Glenn Vistante and Jeff Roper down to the new QA testers. Awesome place to learn the ropes as a tester in this well established company.

ConsVery little opportunity to grow with the company as a QA tester which is normal in the gaming industry.

Beavis and Butthead meet Lord of the Flies

Former Human Resources Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFood (a fair amount of it)
    Location
    If you are young, love gaming, and need a job. It's not a bad place to start your career.

ConsNon-executive employees are young, inexperienced, and not smart workers and worst of all, they don't realize it or desire to change it for the better

You have to be immature to enjoy socializing with your coworkers… If you enjoy Beavis and Butthead or act like them, you will fit in great here

Tribal, secretive, and dishonest coworkers that systematically gang up and try to destroy each other (Lord of the Flies style). It's cloaked under the perception that they are "high achievers" as opposed to them really just being tribal and willing to put others down to get ahead. This may exist at any employer, but it is to the extreme at Activision.

Work/life balance is terrible. High turnover due to this and the culture.

If you take your career seriously, do not work at 3100 despite how much money they throw at you. Studio locations may be worth it. Executive life may be worth it. Below that, stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers - Learn how to manage, develop employees, and address people issues
    Executives - Treat your employees like people and be nicer

Worked for Activision Publishing? Contribute to the Community!