Activision Publishing

www.activision.com
Employer Engaged

Great environment to work in, but no loyalty or real opportunities to move up.

I worked at Activision Publishing

Pros

Very fun and relaxed working environment. Everyone who works here is very nice and usually willing to help you out.

Cons

Very poor communication and budget planning. Management has no loyalty to you as their employee, they will just lay you off when they are done with you and hire someone to do it cheaper after you have set up a system.

Consider less contractors and more permanent employees. I think you will get better quality of work all around and many of the lower guys will be much happier and therefore more productive. You need to value the employees you have more.

Meh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, free games, fun parties.

Cons

No room for growth, micro managers, poor talent, monotonous.

Love playing video games!

Former Contractor - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to test various games, which I loved. The staff was amazing, the games are fun, and competition is high! It was an opportunity to master the games before it is released to the public. I was able to learn a new system while working there and meet other interesting people.

Cons

The down-side to all the fun is a lower rate of pay. The job is typically only contract. So you can't stay there for a long time.

Great company where you earn your keep.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst - Supply Chain in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst - Supply Chain in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll likely be around top tier professionals. If you're not then you're in the wrong group. The culture is smart, hard working and filled with high performers.

Cons

You have to do your own work. Might sound silly, but this is not a place you can come on and survive on reputation and position alone

Be aware of a "favorites" type culture. There are so many high quality people there, that it's actually easy to take for granted that quality. I've seen "glue guys" and girls overlooked simply because there isn't the need to appreciate them.

As a QA test, a good summer-time job for a high schooler and nothing more.

Former Employee - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, as you will be working alongside other gamers. You have opportunities to take leadership roles and feel that your contributions to the project are making an effect.

Cons

Low pay and almost zero upward mobility. The QA department is literally and figuratively separated from the rest of the company. You will not be able to interact or shadow technical, art, or production seniors and learn how to contribute more to the company. The test style is also antiquated, so staying with the company may prevent you from being marketable elsewhere. Expect large amounts of overtime and a seasonal hiring environment.

Integrate fewer testers into a larger development team. Though this would require a rethinking of the entire development process, where testers are also engineers that develop tools alongside the programmers.

Fun company - no work/life balance

Current Employee - Recruiter in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

hip culture, lots of freebies, fast paced

Cons

No work life balance, long hours, no career development, no long term vision

don't overload people with so much work that they get burnt out and quit

Great place to work and learn the ropes of the gaming industry.

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA
    Current Contractor - Quality Assurance Tester in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere including management that is down to earth and friendly. There is passion for gaming all the way from top with Glenn Vistante and Jeff Roper down to the new QA testers. Awesome place to learn the ropes as a tester in this well established company.

Cons

Very little opportunity to grow with the company as a QA tester which is normal in the gaming industry.

Beavis and Butthead meet Lord of the Flies

Former Employee - Former Human Resources Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Former Human Resources Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Food (a fair amount of it)
    Location
    If you are young, love gaming, and need a job. It's not a bad place to start your career.

Cons

Non-executive employees are young, inexperienced, and not smart workers and worst of all, they don't realize it or desire to change it for the better

You have to be immature to enjoy socializing with your coworkers… If you enjoy Beavis and Butthead or act like them, you will fit in great here

Tribal, secretive, and dishonest coworkers that systematically gang up and try to destroy each other (Lord of the Flies style). It's cloaked under the perception that they are "high achievers" as opposed to them really just being tribal and willing to put others down to get ahead. This may exist at any employer, but it is to the extreme at Activision.

Work/life balance is terrible. High turnover due to this and the culture.

If you take your career seriously, do not work at 3100 despite how much money they throw at you. Studio locations may be worth it. Executive life may be worth it. Below that, stay away.

Managers - Learn how to manage, develop employees, and address people issues
    Executives - Treat your employees like people and be nicer

Fun place to work at and great people to work with.

Former Contractor - Fixed Assets Accountant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Contractor - Fixed Assets Accountant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for this company. I learned a lot and made many friends. They invest in the latest technology and software.

Cons

It really depends on the department and the manager you report to like most companies. The turnover is high in some departments as it is hard to get promotions or raises.

My advice to management is to not shop by salary. You get what you pay for. They need to do more to retain good talent and be more people driven. Activision Management caters more to people right out of college than the seasoned professionals in my eyes. I was a contractor and wanted to be hired on permanently, but upper management didn't want to meet me half way and bring me on board.

Ok at the time worked

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok at the time worked

Cons

No room for career advancement

None a this time