Actix Reviews

3.1

Alex Hawker

Always changing...

I worked at Actix

Pros

The worker bees of the company were great and dedicated. Staff is very diverse and very intelligent.

Cons

Management changes meant personnel changes causing many of the early employees of the company to move on. Disconnect between board direction and employees.

Long career potential. Varied experiences due to working environment being closely tied to management performance

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Actix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. Good comp at market rates. Excellent benefit package. Plenty of roles depending on skill-set, with some scope to move internally. Work-life balance is "ok"... there is flexibility such as working for home sometimes, but other times work demands are disproportionate to the comp.

Cons

Personal development and performance improvement given nothing more than lip-service. Values are not "lived", just presented and then ignored. Since acquisition by Amdocs there are many more internal processes to follow which are not well-defined. Office atmosphere sometimes akin to a library! Working environment and pressures very closely tied to the current management goals, which are sometimes too short term, resulting in constantly changing priorities for everyone else. Poor communication between senior management and everyone else.

Share more goals for 3, 6 and 12 month timelines with teams. Create better synchronisation between pre-sales, finance, services and product management teams as it often feels like the company is being pulled in 4 different directions.

Simply a Hire and Fire Organization

I have been working at Actix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Couldn't think there are any

Cons

Regular firing is part of the game.
    Unless you're telecom engineer try to stay away..

Several years in Actix

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Hammersmith, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I have been working at Actix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great majority of employees are fantastic. Professional, intelligent and very helpful.
    I've learned a lot about architecture, technology, project management, continuous integration, etc... this list is very, very long.

In general most of the people are trying to do their work in the most efficient way so if there is a need for a script to automate something and speed up the process next time you are most welcome to do it.

The conclusion is: I never felt that people are scared of progress, improvements, learning something new - which was fantastic.

I was in ActixONE team but Analyzer team wasn't bad from what I heard as well.

There is a book group (with pizza) - at least when I was working there...
    Cakes on Friday - there is £2 contribution per month and for this money we were buying cakes - lots of them.
    Social Do's !!! Great thing! Once a month all participants in this program (£15 per month) are going to pub and then to different restaurants each time. We visited some of the best restaurants in London and drank huge amounts of alcohol :) - the company was covering the difference between your £15 and the real cost!

Cons

Sometimes people stay really long hours.
    If the project is cross-border with German branch there are tensions sometimes. Who is responsible for what, who should align their interfaces... etc.

Not enough effort put into creating framework around JBoss to allow easy development and testing.

Hard to say. In overall they were quite good :)

Company with a bad working culture

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Actix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly competitive salary package.
    Competitive employees benefits.
    Good and comfy office environment (Malaysia).

Cons

- Zero process implementation. Lack of standard management, source control, project support, and lack of communication among the teams.
    - R&D/Engineering in UK were sitting on knight horse while the resources in offshore (who were mostly pre-sale, sales, support and technical consultants/SA) were "lowly living peasants". They were ego, hard to work with, and constantly blaming on offshore resources for their mistakes and errors.
    They denied bugs, blamed CS with harsh words for asking unnecessary questions (which were necessary anyway), and never apologize when the fault was found to be theirs. The same experience goes to other units like Technical consultant team and SA team. Their egoism caused high turnover in CS team.
    - Too revenue concentric. When a revenue target was not hit, they got rid of people . Multiple layoff had been done during my tenant, and that morally destroyed the employees. (it's not because they were losing money either, they just didn't make enough)

- Get your engineering to support your operations team. Stop cultivating a culture where R&D are golden team and your own blue eye boy. Your business needs the 360 support from these product teams to be successful.
    - Stop focusing on revenue and numbers and start looking into how to make your employees feel secure. Stop laying off people just because you don't make enough money.

EMEA Sales Engineer

Former Employee - EMEA Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - EMEA Sales Engineer

I worked at Actix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

4 years ago Actix was at the edge of technologies for RAN optimization. Nice relationships within the company, very competitive salaries.

Cons

As soon as top management of Actix was changed a lot of wrong strategic decisions were made. Staff was dramatically cut off, all efforts were spent for new products which failed.

From my point of view the main company problem is reluctance of taking sales unit feedback into consideration for the key decision making.

The growing company with potential to fully unlock the full potential to impress and lead the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Actix

Pros

Work life balance
    Growing company whereby I can make some influence
    Contribute my expertise in the areas

Cons

Lack of processes
    Transparency