Actuant

Add Photos

Actuant Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Arzbaecher

Bob Arzbaecher

Pay/Benefits Good - Culture is Employee Unfriendly

Actuant Corporate (Current Employee)
Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Actuant full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Pay, Enjoyable Work and opportunities to move around

ConsCompany Culture doesn't know what it wants to be. I sat in a meeting yesterday where the director said to not talk with co-workers unless it's work related. Very bad for moral and made people want to work less, not more.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of old school style directors. You spend corporate time and money building teams that effectively work together yet your directors are clammoring that relationship building is just wasting company time and money. What do you want to be?

Worst place I ever worked!!!

QMI Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuant full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorked with some great peers. Did some great lean manufacturing projects.

Good fitness center, even though they charged a fee for it.

Free coffee.

Good bonus program for salary.

ConsTerrible annual review system. Every engineer was ranked in the last 3 of 9 categories, even though we all earned over 200% of our bonus potential. This made for TERRIBLE moral. Over half the engineers eventually ended up working for Harley-Davidson and are still there.

ALL product drawings were way out of date and no resources were provided to update the drawings unless it was a new product.

All engineers for several business units were told by CEO at corporate wide meeting , "That I can get a engineer in India to design a product for $8000 per year and still build it in the US."

Company had constant layoffs and has now closed US manufacturing operations that I was involved in.

CEO showed off his car and travel trailer and horses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is not just about the stock price and how much $$ the top 4 or 5 guys can make.

Future looks good

I have been working at Actuant full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is growing with new products

Constaking a little longer than needs too

Same people on all the teams all the time.

ProsBenefits are good
On site work out facility (with trainer) open 24 hours minimal cost
Location right off the freeway

ConsIt is always the same people on the lead teams and these same people are the ones who always get the recognition and the promotions. Often make changes without getting feedback from everyone the change will affect and then instead of doing it right they just apply a bandaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of talent within the company. Take a look at the people other than the same old players they have a lot to offer if you would just give them the chance

This can be a challenge but it offerers little oppertuntiy for growth.

Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuant

ProsActuant allows you to get involved with a lot of projects and you can learn a lot during your time here.

ConsActuant works their employees too hard for the least amount of pay. You are involved with so much and are expected to do so much with little resources. They do not pay well and is not a good company for women to grow women.

Interesting

Production Manager (Current Employee)
Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Actuant

ProsProfessional Growth, cross training, internal training. There are a lot of internal training programs that are very insightful and well contsructed.

ConsStrategic Leadership. There seems to be a misalignment between the company mission and personal goals of both management and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic Alignment and long term planning. There is a strategy for the company but how to obtain that goal is up for debate. Long term planning must be compeleted in order to reach your goals.

Very frustrating and unrewarding.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Broadview, IL

I worked at Actuant

ProsActuant offers good benefits, coworkers are very supportive and the products produced are good quality and have a high level of brand recognition in the industrial marketplace.

ConsThe senior management is so focused on the the bottom line that they forget about the people that are working to make things happen. Very little effort is put into training and promoting people. They are very quick to buy companies absorb and close down businesses and move them offshore. If you are a company that is purchased by Actuant watch out! Start looking for another job as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should take more notice of the people and the effort that is given to bring profit to the company. They need to take better care of their employees that have shown dedication and commitment to their jobs especially within companies that are small acquisition.

Average Talent...Internally focused

Senior Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuant

ProsAccess to projects you never dreamed you'd work on, just because you were in the right meeting or expressed interest. Unfortunately, most projects go to people who, like you, have no experience and do a mediocre job. Open door policy results in easy access to any executive.

ConsThe only leaders with Fortune 500 experience are gone...too different? Seem to prefer middle of the road educational credentials, so my colleagues aren't too intellectually inspiring. COO and CEO need to LISTEN and accept what info walks in their doors. Corporate Coach is a former broker, serves as the messenger between executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the Coach; LISTEN to feedback and input; hire people NOT like yourselves to inspire change, growth and challenge! Benefits are among the worst for this size company.

Mid-Senior Management

I have been working at Actuant

Prosgood pay, good benefits... good people at the working level

Conscorporate politics have created a culture of mistrust and paranoia.
Too many rumors about closing plant and moving to China or Mexico.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees to focus on their work, instead of worrying about what the score is.
A lot of inefficiencies are caused by people feeling aprehensive to stick their neck out on an issue, especially if it will cost $$$... regardless if it is needed or not.

Look out

Engineering (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Actuant

Prosgood befefits as far as the health insurence and company 401 k are concerned also good expense coverage for long term care

Conspoor management team at the top of the with the need for many changes to the execution

Advice to Senior Managementhire better

Worked for Actuant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Actuant reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Actuant CEO Bob Arzbaecher. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Actuant employees.