Actuate

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Actuate President, CEO, and Director Pete Cittadini

Pete Cittadini

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thorough on-boarding process, strong mid-level management, very flexible work life balance too.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe benefits are outstanding, especially for those requiring full family/partner benefits. Many other perks include a free gym on campus, delightful location near the SF Bay.

ConsNone that I have seen to date.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing now, employees and customers alike seem very pleased with the recent evolution of changes which are all positive.

Not for professional growth if you're in sales.

SDR (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe atmosphere is pleasant for the most part, and there is no micromanaging.
    They pay for some of your yearly gym membership.
    Good work life balance.

ConsAs an SDR, there was no room for growth. To move up, you must leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more realistic expectations for compensation - what defines an opportunity makes it really hard to get one. Although I was of the top performers on the team, I barely got paid any commission.

Tough Job but good pay

Associate Entitlement Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsExposure to many departments and workings of the company. Great pay for an entry level job with no experience required.

ConsNo official training program so very challenging to learn when no experience was required. The team was extremely backlogged so it was high pressure and high stress. Very specific team and company culture that does't fit everyone. No clear communication between management and team about expectations and tasks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1. flexible work time
    2. nice person to work with

Cons1. not technology oriented
    2. the company officer likes sales more than engineer

Sales

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsAccess to managers who can make decisions. Everyone on board has the goal of doing something great to be successful in their career.

ConsEverything has to get approved by the CEO regardless of amount or strategic influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the people who get feedback from the field feel good about suggesting change, rather than being scared to speak their mind.

Solid, stable company with a wonderful culture

San Mateo, CA

ProsI've been with Actuate for nearly 10 years and am very happy here. The company invests in its employees and takes care of those who perform. Provides a great work-life balance and the opportunity to learn and grow in areas of professional interest. Promotes collaboration and cohesiveness both within and between departments and this fosters a very positive work environment.

ConsI really don't have anything negative to say--I wish the office was a little closer to home but I am provided a lot of flexibility to accommodate my commute so this isn't an issue.

Good people and technology to work with.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsFriendly professional atmosphere, very sales and customer focused.

ConsTraining was somewhat insufficient initially, though they are striving to improve it now.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train the sales force, continue to push marketing.

Company assessment

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat work environment, my manager does not micro-manage, excellent benefits including gym membership reimbursement. Employees do not sit around gossiping, it is more of a small company family atmosphere.

ConsThe company does not give out large raises, but they do provide frequent promotional opportunities for those that want to advance their careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect managers are asked to communicate company vision and strategy, but most employees want to hear it directly from the top.

Room to grow!

Marketing (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe recruitment process was very realistic. The team was very responsive to my emails, which helped me feel appreciated and wanted! The team is very collaborative, open to suggestions, and willing to take risks to gain a competitive edge. I chose this company over a massive competitor because I felt I could make a stronger impact and retire here instead of going through the usual churn and burn.

ConsMy only concern is that a larger company acquires this one and filters out redundant positions. Other than that, no complaints.

Intellectually stimulating job with freedom and support to try new things

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe best part about Actuate is that the company is small enough to make a difference but big enough to get something done. Your manager allows you to try new things while you perform your duties. Also, everyone is willing to help you figure out the best course of action and the environment is very collegial.

ConsThe cons really can be a plus. About half the work force works off site so the office can often seem empty even when a lot of work is being done. I also work from home a fraction of the time so I probably should not list this as a con. The pressures of the marketplace also sometimes forces us to release products that are not fully baked and Actuate ends up doing many dot releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not stand still. The market is shifting rapidly and Actuate cannot rest on its laurels. I sometimes think that past success has lulled people into thinking that future success is guaranteed. Actuate has to make sure that we put some more distance between what our competitors offer verses what Actuate offers.

Worked for Actuate? Contribute to the Community!

Actuate Videos

Actuate – Why Work for Us?

Actuate Corporation, The BIRT Company™, provides software to more than three million BIRT developers and OEMs who build scalable, secure solutions that save time and improve brand experience by delivering personalized… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Actuate reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Actuate CEO Pete Cittadini. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Actuate employees.