Actuate Reviews

Pete Cittadini

1. An interesting place to work in the midst of a challenging transition

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly and smart people (for the most part), beautiful workspaces at HQ. Interesting, powerful products that can do amazing things (but it can take brains and time to make that happen, making sales challenging).

Cons

Actuate products are complex, and the three product lines/lines of business were never truly integrated. So much of the business wasn't integrated either. Knowledge in one area wasn't always valuable in others.

Former employees who have left recently have reported large bumps in pay at their new jobs, so salaries may not be keeping pace.

Advice to Management

Lots of employees are nervous right now. The OpenText acquisition represents an opportunity for the former Actuate and its employees. But strategy and direction needs to be more clearly articulated. Right now it seems like Waterloo is asking for Actuate to lead itself, but not giving feedback on direction/or and telling us that our choices will be supported. For a company (OT) that has done a lot of acquisitions, I expected a smoother process.

2. Good technology

Current Employee - Engineering in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate

Pros

The technology is rich, particularly the scope of products and the ample range of APIs. Requires some investment to learn, but once you pass that hurdle, you can do exactly what you want.

Cons

Changes in product direction make it difficult to complete development projects with the thorough attention to detail necessary to this type of technology.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the needs of the international customers which also affect major domestic customers who have international development centers.

3. Very low paying for the one of the most important roles in the organization, SDRs drive pipeline.

Former Employee - SDR II in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - SDR II in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Actuate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice office in San Mateo, good people, no perks (bowling randomly), sales kick off was a good time.

Cons

Very little possibility to get promoted or work your way up. Even if you Inside Sales is not set up for success.

Advice to Management

Train the employees better and compensate them for their hard work. Also hire managers that care about their employees and have a plan to get them moving in their careers after the grind of SDR life.

5. Do yourself a favor and avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Actuate (more than 8 years)

Pros

The unemployment checks once they let all employees go after their recent acquisition

Cons

Management is abusive (have seen a few employees cry), Management is sexist (women should not bother applying here), Management is racist (will favor opinions of some races over others), inter-company communications are a mess (massive disconnect between departments), Management across the company is hesitant to change their outdated policies, the company culture is blame first and correct second.

Advice to Management

Ask to be compensated for Management 101 courses and start right away.

6. Actuate's greatest asset is the people that work there.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small enough to make an impact

People

Cons

Pay

Need more automated systems

Work culture needs development

Advice to Management

Invest in people, culture, and customers and pay off will be big.

7. Worst Place I have ever worked ..

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Actuate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros .. They got recently acquired by OpenText and I hope things change for better. You will get to see three floors of empty office.

Cons

This place functions like some African governmental Department. They have no product strategy in place. They have no good Product Managers or Analysts. Engineering Management is laughable . Do not get me wrong, they have like 20 years of experience but in the same company so they have no idea what is going on in outside world. All good talented engineers were so frustrated they all quit for better opportunities.
    The little revenue they generate is from legacy software licenses. I hope OpenText realize the mistake they made very soon. I would let go Engineering Management and hire someone with talent.
    In sum, this is where careers go to die. Beware of the fake four star reviews by management

Advice to Management

OpenText, you have been duped in paying such a huge sum for a piece of garbage. Write this off as a loss in your accounts and move on.

8. Actuate is very friendly place to work, and I learned a lot from them

Current Intern - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Intern - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and friendly environment. Managers are helpful when learning new things

Cons

I wish they had snacks at the break room. Conference rooms are too cold.

Not for professional growth if you're in sales.

Former Employee - SDR in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - SDR in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Actuate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is pleasant for the most part, and there is no micromanaging.
    They pay for some of your yearly gym membership.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

As an SDR, there was no room for growth. To move up, you must leave the company.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic expectations for compensation - what defines an opportunity makes it really hard to get one. Although I was of the top performers on the team, I barely got paid any commission.

10. Tough Job but good pay

Former Employee - Associate Entitlement Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Entitlement Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Actuate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to many departments and workings of the company. Great pay for an entry level job with no experience required.

Cons

No official training program so very challenging to learn when no experience was required. The team was extremely backlogged so it was high pressure and high stress. Very specific team and company culture that does't fit everyone. No clear communication between management and team about expectations and tasks.

11. Thorough on-boarding process, strong mid-level management, very flexible work life balance too.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding, especially for those requiring full family/partner benefits. Many other perks include a free gym on campus, delightful location near the SF Bay.

Cons

None that I have seen to date.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing now, employees and customers alike seem very pleased with the recent evolution of changes which are all positive.