Actuate

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Actuate President, CEO, and Director Pete Cittadini

Pete Cittadini

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A very good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate full-time

Pros1. flexible work time
2. nice person to work with

Cons1. not technology oriented
2. the company officer likes sales more than engineer

Solid, stable company with a wonderful culture

I have been working at Actuate full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI've been with Actuate for nearly 10 years and am very happy here. The company invests in its employees and takes care of those who perform. Provides a great work-life balance and the opportunity to learn and grow in areas of professional interest. Promotes collaboration and cohesiveness both within and between departments and this fosters a very positive work environment.

ConsI really don't have anything negative to say--I wish the office was a little closer to home but I am provided a lot of flexibility to accommodate my commute so this isn't an issue.

Good people and technology to work with.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuate full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly professional atmosphere, very sales and customer focused.

ConsTraining was somewhat insufficient initially, though they are striving to improve it now.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train the sales force, continue to push marketing.

Sales

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate full-time for more than a year

ProsAccess to managers who can make decisions. Everyone on board has the goal of doing something great to be successful in their career.

ConsEverything has to get approved by the CEO regardless of amount or strategic influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the people who get feedback from the field feel good about suggesting change, rather than being scared to speak their mind.

Company assessment

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work environment, my manager does not micro-manage, excellent benefits including gym membership reimbursement. Employees do not sit around gossiping, it is more of a small company family atmosphere.

ConsThe company does not give out large raises, but they do provide frequent promotional opportunities for those that want to advance their careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect managers are asked to communicate company vision and strategy, but most employees want to hear it directly from the top.

Room to grow!

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuate full-time for less than a year

ProsThe recruitment process was very realistic. The team was very responsive to my emails, which helped me feel appreciated and wanted! The team is very collaborative, open to suggestions, and willing to take risks to gain a competitive edge. I chose this company over a massive competitor because I felt I could make a stronger impact and retire here instead of going through the usual churn and burn.

ConsMy only concern is that a larger company acquires this one and filters out redundant positions. Other than that, no complaints.

Intellectually stimulating job with freedom and support to try new things

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuate full-time for less than a year

ProsThe best part about Actuate is that the company is small enough to make a difference but big enough to get something done. Your manager allows you to try new things while you perform your duties. Also, everyone is willing to help you figure out the best course of action and the environment is very collegial.

ConsThe cons really can be a plus. About half the work force works off site so the office can often seem empty even when a lot of work is being done. I also work from home a fraction of the time so I probably should not list this as a con. The pressures of the marketplace also sometimes forces us to release products that are not fully baked and Actuate ends up doing many dot releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not stand still. The market is shifting rapidly and Actuate cannot rest on its laurels. I sometimes think that past success has lulled people into thinking that future success is guaranteed. Actuate has to make sure that we put some more distance between what our competitors offer verses what Actuate offers.

My experience has been great. Actu has allowed me to work cross functionally in my department with high level executives

I have been working at Actuate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsActuate is a place where you can be surrounded by some outstanding, smart, motivated individuals and be challenged in your role. It provides the ability to work independently and in a team environment.

ConsNot getting to interact with other organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to allow employees to make an impact and bring the knowledge that they are experts in and apply it.

Great Company to work for.

BIRT (Former Employee)

I worked at Actuate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood technology and work environment, great team and people. I like the open environment that you have a chance to learn everything and anything you want to learn.

ConsI don't really have a con. If I must say one, I would say they may need to spend more energy and money to promote BIRT, a great open source tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder.

Terrible on-boarding processes and middle school of the adult tech world

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Actuate as a contractor for more than a year

Pros7 hour work days, relaxed and slow pace environment like that of a government organization. They embrace alcohol and parties. Their products are good.

ConsHighly political, lots of back stabbing and subjective false allegations towards each other. Just dysfunctional especially to a newbie. Lots of comments to new employees such as "you should have known xyz from your last company". Males openly flirt with females and the females don't mind (not sure what falls under - weird?). childish behaviors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour method of divide and conquer works wells and you are achieving your goals.

Worked for Actuate? Contribute to the Community!

Actuate Videos

Actuate – Why Work for Us?

Actuate Corporation, The BIRT Company™, provides software to more than three million BIRT developers and OEMs who build scalable, secure solutions that save time and improve brand experience by delivering personalized… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Actuate reviews and ratings in San Mateo, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Actuate CEO Pete Cittadini. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Actuate employees.