Acuity Consulting

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan Spencer

Acuity Consulting Inc

ProsThe size of the firm allows you to have lots of interaction with upper management. Depending on your location you might have direct access to a Managing Partner. The MP's are down to earth and easy to talk to. The company believes strongly in work life balance and rewards employees who go the extra mile. Everyone I have interacted with has been cordial and genuinely appreciative of the work performed. The firm has started a mentoring program where depending on your location you could be paired up with a Senior Leader. Senior Leadership has an open door policy and welcomes all comments and suggestions.

ConsThe firm has been unable to retain some of the really great employees due to a lack of projects. When great employees leave- morale drops.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe decisions that the firm has been making lately have been solid from a business point of view.

Value you playing the contract game more than quality

Supervisory Auditor (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsSmall companies often are a good choice are a good choice because of the breadth and depth of knowledge that is required of every individual on the team.

ConsTop management lacks basic knowledge in accounting, information systems and consulting services beyond the Air Force. The focus appears to be going after contracts just because their business category qualifies them to do so; not because they have the expertise to provide excellent consulting services.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire and hire expertise beyond their social circle.

Potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGreat People all around with lots of potential. It is really hard to see the good in things where everything is going so wrong.

ConsThere is a split leadership at the top. One Acuity with two visions and two very different approaches. Managing Partners need to figure who Acuity is and should be and speak with one voce. Clean up leadership and start fresh.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned a lot about companies graduating the SBA 8a program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to wear many hats

ConsAdhoc does not work in a growing business

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate

Leadership well intentioned but in over their heads

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsPeople are genuinely nice and committed to doing a good job despite inept Sr Leadership. Small company feel allows employees some flexibility and work-life balance.

ConsLeadership is stuck in their mom & pop mentality, unwilling or unable to grow and adapt. The 2 divisions within the company are competitively at odds, sometimes actively undermining the other. At the end of the day, the company cannot survive unless both divisions succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box; you do not have all the answers. Honestly, it might be too late as you have lost credibility with the troops.

The average person lives 78 years, don't waste them here.

Supervisory Auditor (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThank heavens I'm out of this place! The best part about working here is the internal laugh you have when you walk out the door for the last time and say "things are going to get better".

ConsThe company really needs to restructure or split, it's a complete mess. If you're getting picked up for a job, be warned and ask questions. Like how long is the contract good for? Some of the jobs they're filling are for positions where the contract isn't being renewed. Which means you may be out of a job 3-4 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some real directors and managers running the place, the ones you have are close to costing you the company. I would also say you need to change the company name after that scathing DoDIG report .

Team Acuity used to mean something

Senior Auditor (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe small size of the company allows great interaction with management and provides an opportunity to be involved with many aspects of the operations.
    The FIAR manager has been outstanding attempting to boost morale.

ConsSince the death of the previous Audit Director, the division's 'leadership' has been lost and overwhelmed. The Alexandria office also has suffered greatly because there has been only one real manager in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste money on Ken Blanchard seminars if 'leadership' isn't going to use the teachings. While, the family atmosphere is nice, sometimes you need to cut people loose. Otherwise, the good people leave.

I have a terrific headache

Senior Auditor (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsWhen I started I felt really welcome, and the staff was very nice. You'll see the owners in the break rooms. It's not a big company so you'll get to know everyone rather quickly.

ConsI don't know what's happened with the company lately but they've been making some really poor decisions, and subsequently losing work. It's a confusing time working here, management keeps telling us everything is alright, but they keep letting go of good employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the lack of contracts don't get us I think the staff leaving will

Lacks Culture

Accounting (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI got a nice new laptop when I started (thank you!)

ConsLots of infighting and managers that are quick to toss you under the bus when things go wrong
    Turnover is atrocious, people are always leaving and those that stay don't typically stay long.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetention, Retention, Retention... I've never worked at a place with so much turnover. The owners need to get more involved in day-to-day operations and get a handle on what's going on.

Tough Choice

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI like some of my coworkers, but some of the Managers cast a dark cloud over things
    Starting Salary was Decent

ConsHigh Turnover, low morale (Most people aren't very happy, I don't know why exactly, but I would say it's the type of work, and feeling of not going anywhere)
    Don't expect much of a raise or bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to retain employees
    Keep the office environment fun and non threatening
    Be selective in the projects

Worked for Acuity Consulting? Contribute to the Community!