Acuity Consulting

2.4

Alan Spencer

Acuity Consulting Inc

I have been working at Acuity Consulting full-time

Pros

The size of the firm allows you to have lots of interaction with upper management. Depending on your location you might have direct access to a Managing Partner. The MP's are down to earth and easy to talk to. The company believes strongly in work life balance and rewards employees who go the extra mile. Everyone I have interacted with has been cordial and genuinely appreciative of the work performed. The firm has started a mentoring program where depending on your location you could be paired up with a Senior Leader. Senior Leadership has an open door policy and welcomes all comments and suggestions.

Cons

The firm has been unable to retain some of the really great employees due to a lack of projects. When great employees leave- morale drops.

The decisions that the firm has been making lately have been solid from a business point of view.

Value you playing the contract game more than quality

Former Employee - Supervisory Auditor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Acuity Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small companies often are a good choice are a good choice because of the breadth and depth of knowledge that is required of every individual on the team.

Cons

Top management lacks basic knowledge in accounting, information systems and consulting services beyond the Air Force. The focus appears to be going after contracts just because their business category qualifies them to do so; not because they have the expertise to provide excellent consulting services.

Retire and hire expertise beyond their social circle.

Potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Acuity Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People all around with lots of potential. It is really hard to see the good in things where everything is going so wrong.

Cons

There is a split leadership at the top. One Acuity with two visions and two very different approaches. Managing Partners need to figure who Acuity is and should be and speak with one voce. Clean up leadership and start fresh.

Learned a lot about companies graduating the SBA 8a program

I worked at Acuity Consulting full-time

Pros

Ability to wear many hats

Cons

Adhoc does not work in a growing business

Educate

Leadership well intentioned but in over their heads

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Acuity Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are genuinely nice and committed to doing a good job despite inept Sr Leadership. Small company feel allows employees some flexibility and work-life balance.

Cons

Leadership is stuck in their mom & pop mentality, unwilling or unable to grow and adapt. The 2 divisions within the company are competitively at odds, sometimes actively undermining the other. At the end of the day, the company cannot survive unless both divisions succeed.

Think outside the box; you do not have all the answers. Honestly, it might be too late as you have lost credibility with the troops.

The average person lives 78 years, don't waste them here.

Former Employee - Supervisory Auditor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Acuity Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Thank heavens I'm out of this place! The best part about working here is the internal laugh you have when you walk out the door for the last time and say "things are going to get better".

Cons

The company really needs to restructure or split, it's a complete mess. If you're getting picked up for a job, be warned and ask questions. Like how long is the contract good for? Some of the jobs they're filling are for positions where the contract isn't being renewed. Which means you may be out of a job 3-4 months.

Get some real directors and managers running the place, the ones you have are close to costing you the company. I would also say you need to change the company name after that scathing DoDIG report .

Team Acuity used to mean something

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Acuity Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The small size of the company allows great interaction with management and provides an opportunity to be involved with many aspects of the operations.
    The FIAR manager has been outstanding attempting to boost morale.

Cons

Since the death of the previous Audit Director, the division's 'leadership' has been lost and overwhelmed. The Alexandria office also has suffered greatly because there has been only one real manager in the office.

Don't waste money on Ken Blanchard seminars if 'leadership' isn't going to use the teachings. While, the family atmosphere is nice, sometimes you need to cut people loose. Otherwise, the good people leave.

I have a terrific headache

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Acuity Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I started I felt really welcome, and the staff was very nice. You'll see the owners in the break rooms. It's not a big company so you'll get to know everyone rather quickly.

Cons

I don't know what's happened with the company lately but they've been making some really poor decisions, and subsequently losing work. It's a confusing time working here, management keeps telling us everything is alright, but they keep letting go of good employees.

If the lack of contracts don't get us I think the staff leaving will

Lacks Culture

Former Employee - Accounting in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Acuity Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got a nice new laptop when I started (thank you!)

Cons

Lots of infighting and managers that are quick to toss you under the bus when things go wrong
    Turnover is atrocious, people are always leaving and those that stay don't typically stay long.

Retention, Retention, Retention... I've never worked at a place with so much turnover. The owners need to get more involved in day-to-day operations and get a handle on what's going on.

Tough Choice

I have been working at Acuity Consulting

Pros

I like some of my coworkers, but some of the Managers cast a dark cloud over things
    Starting Salary was Decent

Cons

High Turnover, low morale (Most people aren't very happy, I don't know why exactly, but I would say it's the type of work, and feeling of not going anywhere)
    Don't expect much of a raise or bonus

Work to retain employees
    Keep the office environment fun and non threatening
    Be selective in the projects