Acuity

Rui Garcia

A truely amazing company

Former Employee - Programmer in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Programmer in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Acuity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company really is a great place to work. They continually give you random gifts and throw an awesome summer and christmas party. Flex time is great benefit. Compensation and benefits are much better than the industry norm. The people are all very nice and willing to help out in anyway that they can. They realize that it can take some time for you to learn the new system and don't demand too much right away.

Cons

Even with all the perks sometimes the city isn't the best place unless you meet the write people. Also, the people like the company better than they like their jobs.

Get it together

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Acuity as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The occasional free lunch/happy hour

Cons

Leadership sent mixed messages; the CEO tries to be part of the team (i.e. lunch, happy hour events) but remains aloof and uncomfortable. He avoids confortonation and can be very cold.

The manager I was assigned tried too hard to be your friend. He would text my personal phone about non-work related items and make statements like wanting to meet my family if they came into town- creepy behavior for management. He gave a grand speech to our team about how work is more important than your home life and the contract comes first. So much for a good work/life balance? He thought meetings were a forum for his sense of humor instead of being productive or mentoring. The most frustrating part was trying to raise a point and he would talk over the conversation and turn the entire topic back to himself. Somebody, please validate this manager so he can act like a professional.

The contract was a mess from the start. There were delays for the kick-off and a scramble to assemble a functional team. They kept pulling names and juggling resources which I felt reflected very poorly to the customer and made teammates feel replaceable. I don't know how they managed to acquire this peice of work with such serious disorganization and communication issues with the client.

It was a highly political environment with no room for advancement. You knew who had put their time in with the company because even they weren't qualified, they were given preference.

I followed my co-workers advice: smile and nod to anything the manager said to appease him. That strategy can last only so long. It was an uncomfortable work environment so I eventually quit. Even when I put in my notice, the manager returned the conversation to himself instead of listening and taking steps in a positive direction. As with everything else, I had to smile and nod when putting in my two weeks.

Listen to staff; be genuine. Keep it professional at all times. Demonstrate leadership.

Tried to provide me an opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Acuity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Acuity is well respected with their customers, very hands on and approachable. Management is generally always available for contact. They have been built by hiring high-level talent. Perks are standard as the company may be beginning to go through a rough time with one of their primary customer

Cons

I was brought in as one of those high-level talents, unfortunately, opportunities fell through or were not fought for hard enough by Sr. management and thus I had nothing to consider a "victory" to my name.

Ensure all staff are being given the opportunity to shine and help them along more in that persuit...

Great experience and learned a tremendous amount while I was there

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Acuity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Acuity has very strong core values and demonstrates a commitment to its employees and clients. My experience with both middle level managers and the Executives was extremely positive. Very nice people and extremely down to earth. Acuity also does a tremendous amount with charities such as Jill's House, Operation Homefront, Susan G. Komen Foundation, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Having a company with high integrity and caring about the community is very important to me. I first heard about Acuity because they were listed in the Washington Business Journal's Best Places To Work. Acuity has received this honor 4 years in a row. I got to see why firsthand. They really do care about its employees.

Cons

None that I have experienced

Continue to do what you are doing. I wish I didn't have to relocate otherwise I would have stayed with this company for many years.

Cut throat organization that doesn't measure outcomes or contributions just profit margin.

Former Employee - Analyst in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at Acuity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros of working for this organization. They don't care about their employees. They care more about appearances.

Cons

Corporate mentality is to maximize the return of any position with the government with no concern for the well being of the client or providing the most talented individual available but what puts the most money in their bank account.

The problem is upper management. Remarkably they have acquired talent but their business practices from the top to first level management are suspect.

Good working experience

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Acuity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is small, but growing. Colleagues from top to down are great. Managers are knowledgeable, competent, and approachable. They are also supportive. I like the culture because it is not cut throat where everyone tries to out do the next person. Instead, it is about teamwork and all team members play a role.

Cons

Since the company is small, you cannot easily roll off of a project if you want to work on something new. The opportunities are limited.

Terrible experience: I would not advise anyone to work for them.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Acuity

Pros

The starting salary was ok and they made a good impression at first -- team building events were nice.

Cons

There was no respect, no dignity, no raises. Morale is low. Other contractors are happy they don't work for Acuity.

Letting your PM fire employees with over 10 years on the contract so he could get his friend the job is unacceptable.

Bottom line - this company is outstanding as a business performer and in taking care of it's employees!

I worked at Acuity

Pros

Provided a great opportunity for me to "define" the details of the position. Always provided focus for employees which would allow us to excel. Provided multiple opportunities for mediocre and lackluster performers to improve performance. Very employee centered while ensuring the highest levels of customer satisfaction and quality. Extremely fair in compensation and covered salaries when the government shut down for weather emergencies - something other companies at the same worksite did not do. During the multiple years I was employed there, only 3 individuals were terminated - all after being given multiple opportunities to improve and succeed.

Cons

Unfortunately, some employees take advantage of the company and their interest in employee success. During the time these marginal performers are being helped to improve, others must carry their dead weight. This causes some morale problems until these individuals leave and are replaced by quality workers.

Keeping low performing and marginal employees too long is unproductive, hurts the bottom line because of the wasted investment in time and resources, and can cause temporary morale issues with those that are performing and meeting or exceeding standards. Identify the low performing and marginal employees, provide them one opportunity to improve, and if they don't make it, then cut them loose.

This company is all about image and not about substance or having their employees' interests at heart; they are phonies.

I worked at Acuity

Pros

Decent salaries and 2 team-building activities per year. They had good parties and outings for the employees during my employment there. They also pay on time.

Cons

Their management is incompetent from the top down. Middle managers are abusive and rewarded for their abusive behavior. They only care about their customer. If the employees are unhappy or getting a raw deal they couldn't care less.
    They knowingly allow middle managers to bully and abuse their direct reports, because they know the customer tolerates it.
    They play favorites and consistently and publicly reward the incompetent middle managers. This has made them a laughingstock to the rest of their employees.

They have fired or forced out 11 employees in the past 2 years, unheard of for a contractor. Good employees have left to be replaced by sub-standard performers. They are cutthroat competitors with other contracting agencies on the same project.

Allowing middle managers to browbeat and bully your employees is unproductive at best and hurts your bottom line at worst. Monitor them more closely and weed out the bad apples.

Growth, Stability and Balance

I have been working at Acuity

Pros

Acuity offers a very unique set of advantages as an employer in the federal contracting arena:

Growth - in a time when many small business contractors are having a hard time keeping/winning contracts, Acuity is consistently expanding its business.

Stability - Due to the growth mentioned above, and because of management's commitment to employees, Acuity offers its employees much more stability than many of its competitors. The training allowance is also generous, so you can keep your skills up-to-date and ready for the next opportunity Acuity offers.

Balance - I have been so impressed with the work-life balance here. My supervisor consistently approves accommodations to my schedule to handle the occasional sick child day without question, and unlike other places I have worked, it's okay to take your vacations.

Cons

This is a small business with big growth, but it is still a small business. Every person on a delivery team is critical, so if you are hoping to keep your head down and coast, it's not a good fit. You also have to be willing to help yourself in some cases, since there is not a huge infrastructure in place like with the larger contractors.

Keep it up! So far, I am impressed with the professional and personal consideration given the employees here. I hope that it will continue as the company expands.