Acxiom Reviews

Reset
3.1
Acxiom President & CEO Scott E. Howe
Scott E. Howe

Pros
  • It's possible to work from home (in 48 reviews)

• It's easy to have a good work life balance (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management hires outside consulting companies to make decisions for them (in 16 reviews)

• Lay offs every time the wind blows (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Incredible Employer

Former Employee - Global Products and Solutions in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Global Products and Solutions in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Acxiom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing remote and telework options. Great HR Practices Amazing systems and cutting-edge technology and IT capabilities. Great work atmosphere. Extremely agile organization - realign resources efficiently to meet client and stake-holder needs.

Cons

I Honestly can't think of any. If you work hard you can pretty much choose your team and type of assignment.

2. Associate

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Conway, AR

I have been working at Acxiom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment; business casual.

Cons

Behind on pay for long time associates; lots of recent leadership changes

CEO and CFO causing a lot of churn

Current Employee - Product Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Acxiom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For Arkansas, Acxiom has been a great employer for many working here. The average tenure here must be at least 10 years. Also very good is the flexible working conditions -- from home, flex schedules, time off, ... Friendly (mostly) people working in the company.

Cons

There have been many oscillations in Acxiom since the current CEO and CFO (both based in California) took over. Every few months, there seems to be a surprise : major leadership changes, company direction changes, layoffs, ... The frequency & magnitude of changes is creating a perception that there is not a competent captain steering the ship. What got me to write this review is a recent announcement from the CEO to "plan a fantastic celebration" of a sales leader "as he joins the ranks of Acxiom alumni". Whoa! This is a pretty harsh & humiliating way to let someone go. The sales leader was well respected for many years here.

Advice to Management

Is the board paying attention to what the CEO and CFO are doing -- in grinding away shareholder values month by month?

5. Don't expect a long term career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Acxiom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary and Benefits; Flexible work environment

Cons

Current leadership promotes revolving door - don't expect a long term career. Limited opportunities for growth/promotion; under values existing experience & expertise.

6. OK place

Former Employee - Decision Support Analyst in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Decision Support Analyst in Conway, AR

I worked at Acxiom

Pros

Easy going, not much pressure

Cons

A lot of people get laid off, new team every year

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bauxite, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bauxite, AR

I worked at Acxiom (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people Decent benefits Work from home allowed on most teams

Cons

Low pay Higher ups believe employees outside of California are not as intelligent/capable Yearly layoffs CEO thinks laying people off is amusing (laughed in meeting about layoffs) New policy on no rehire after two separations even if company laid you off

Advice to Management

Believe in your employees and invest in them

Good company, needed change of scenery

Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Conway, AR

I worked at Acxiom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great company, I had great leaders that really cared for the team, I made great friends, and I have great memories.

Cons

I eventually decided to leave, not because of the job or the company, but because I wanted a change of scenery. Conway is a small suburban city, and I relocated here with my wife 3 years ago from out of the country. We have had a good time living here and working for Acxiom, however after all of that time, we feel that our life routine has gotten into a rut, and that it was time for a change of lifestyle. My wife and I live alone together. We don't have family close by, we have nothing holding us in Conway, and since the lifestyle here is very different and slow pace to where I grew up, we decided that we need a change of scenery and started looking for jobs in more urban cities (San Fran, Boston, NYC, etc.), and I eventually accepted a job offer and moved. I need to stress that I did not leave because of the job itself, but purely because we wanted a change of scenery. I checked Acxiom's internal job board to see if I could transfer to another office, and they do have developer roles in Redwood City (CA), Dallas (TX), Downers Grove (IL), but they were all suburban offices, which I wasn't interested in. Acxiom do have a New York City office, however, it's all sales and management roles. I loved my job, and if Acxiom gave me the option of working as a developer in an urban location rather than in the suburbs, I would have done everything I could have to make it happen. However, I felt that that opportunity simply wasn't available to me at Acxiom. I have no complaints about the job, the company, or the people I worked with.

Advice to Management

I feel that the location of the offices hurts Acxiom. There were no opportunities for people that did not feel comfortable living in the suburbs, and that will make it hard to attract and retain talent that is looking for a different lifestyle, despite the fact that the work I did at Acxiom was interesting and rewarding.

9. Great Benefits, Great Culture

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Conway, AR

I have been working at Acxiom

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Starting vacation days are unheard of, and you continue to build days with your tenure. The "work from home" perk is beneficial in that you can WFH and it does not count against your vacation days. If you're sick but not too sick to work, you can work from home. If you need to be home for a repair, you can work from home. You get the idea. You can work from home when needed! The culture is very relaxed but respectful. It's acceptable to wear jeans to work unless you're in client meetings. Overall, this is a great company to work for! If you're looking for work/life balance, this is the company for you!

Cons

The image of frequent layoffs is unfortunate. Do your best job, and new opportunities will come whether internal or external.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide employee feedback, especially when it is good. Positive words go a long way.

10. Delivery Analyst

Former Employee - Client Delivery Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Client Delivery Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Acxiom (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, allowed employees to work from home when needed.

Cons

Management changes too often. New manager for team every year. Makes it very difficult for employees to be noticed and managers don't care about your commitment to the company or the excellent work you have performed.

Advice to Management

Get to know all of your employees, not just the ones at the top,but those at the bottom of the totem pole also. Those are the folks working really hard and making valuable contributions.

Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Acxiom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Company allows associates to engage a healthy work/personal life balance * Decent Salary & Benefits (401K/company match/PaidDaysOff) * Most of the people are awesome, despite being beat down by constant layoffs & company migrations to Austin & California * Flexible team structures, allows the individual to work hard and be rewarded, great environment to build lasting friendships and professional networks

Cons

Founded in a small Arkansas city in the early 70's, Acxiom pioneered the database marketing industry and quickly became a global powerhouse. No company in the world could touch them, that is until they purchased a small outsourcing company in Illinois around 1997 which was followed by a number of ill-advised acquisitions in a move to grow the business through M&A's instead of focusing on core competencies. During the course they demonstrated a disastrous ability to effectively integrate these new business lines, most of which have been sold off by now (with the most recent PE buyout of the aforementioned Outsourcing company). The company struggled through a series of failed buyout efforts and C-level leadership changes through 2006-2011.. The current crop of leaders have managed to decimate the once-incredible culture, the company mission and its cash-rich bank accounts (especially after giving over $300M for a small $40M CA company last year, all in a desperate effort to mask the unmitigated failure of “Audience Operating System” (AOS) to propel the company into the next Google). After Charles Morgan left the company in 2007, the Acxiom board failed to take a lesson from the subsequent 'Meyer' years and require their next CXX hires to actually LIVE in the state where the company was founded, headquartered and where the data centers are located. Today the CEO, CFO and CIO all live in Redwood City CA and have allowed cultural cancers to prosper throughout the company (anything with "Arkansas" attached to it is to be discounted, thrown away, and God forbid any credit). The new CIO is allowed to run without restraint, moving key positions into a new Austin office and has hired well over a dozen cronies (multiple VP's, Senior Directors) from his former place of employment at the expense of many long-term associates and Arkansas families. CEO- Visionary, personable, approachable. Gained significant trust and confidence from the associate base for the first couple of years. However, he took the company eye off the MDB “North Star” and wagered the company’s future against the talent of one man (Dr Phil) in the hopes that AOS would transform the company into the next Apple or Google. This strategy failed and he's now hit the reset button with some major moves and what now seems to be a hollow promise to return the company to its roots. Though he's presiding over some real cultural declines and allowing key leaders to steamroll over people, I'm still rooting for this guy to succeed and save what’s left of the company. CFO- Seems competent, but largely AWOL to the company and the Arkansas base in particular- busy with other endeavors, board positions, etc. He was recently given responsibility for international sales which was a huge mystery to most associates. Doesn't seem to be engaged with the business, does not communicate to his base. CIO- A 'my way or the hi-way' individual who fancies himself a great leader but has no concept of what a true leader should be (start with building trust with your people but it's too late for this guy). He constantly brags about 'how we did it at EA' while building a fiefdom of former EA associates and kicking long-term Acxiom families to the curb. Charismatic and engaging, but sly and deceptive with an ego the size of Everest. His drive to inject 'new blood' into IT Operations is making the patient sick. If you were hired from EA or into Austin you're allowed to sit at the right hand. If you're 'old Acxiom', in Arkansas or dare to trust what he says, Be very afraid.

Advice to Management

To the Acxiom Board- Hold your C-level executives accountable. Don't let them fail for years before making the tough decisions (i.e. recent CRO, thanks for finally waking up). Let your CFO be a CFO, watch what your CIO is actually doing and hold these guys accountable for the millions in expense spending (WorkDay, Consulting, Austin, free food for privileged associates in CA, contractors, on and on). Demand some ROI or you’ll soon wake to with an empty Acxiom bank account, a stock price that never recovered and nothing to show for it. Acxiom is not Google, don't try to be until the stock hits $500 To HR- How can you actually sit at the table and watch unethical behavior from your leaders without challenging, coaching and righting the ship, even while being asked to do so? Grow a pair, do your job. If you can't, hire someone who will. People are the company's greatest asset, period, and you’ve allowed Acxiom lose sight of this fact after so many years of putting people first.

RSS Feed </> Embed