AdRoll

Updated December 10, 2014
4.4

AdRoll CEO, Founder Aaron Bell
Aaron Bell

Amazing company to work for. Great people, exciting products, and awesome culture!

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AdRoll as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Tons of opportunities to get involved/ meet other Rollers though sports and clubs
    -Executives are extremely transparent with everyone
    -Great Training
    -They hire people very carefully, so nearly everyone has a great personality and is good at what they do
    -They stick with their core values
    -Many people have a mentor mentality
    -Exciting to be part of a rapidly growing company

Cons

-Kind of sketchy office location, but they have security gurads

Keep killin in!

Good Culture, Good People, Good Product

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at AdRoll full-time

Pros

-friendly culture
    -innovative product team
    -not micro-managed, particularly if you are succeeding

Cons

-lots of well funded competitors can make selling difficult
    -bad neighborhood, although close to BART

Less meetings

The best experience in my career to date (great leadership, people, product, and culture)

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love coming to work. It's quite that simple. I love the people, the culture, the product, the industry we operate in. I've seen the company grow immensely over the past year and it still feels the same. Yes, some things have changed (sales policies, additional offices, more people), but at the core of things it's the same feel to when I started (and we may even do a number of things better).

People often ask me why I came to AdRoll, here's my response from my experience thus far:

There is a management team that cares and that I trust. They are transparent, open (about what's working / what's not), listen, and make the effort to connect. They aren't perfect, are humble enough to admit that, and look to the team to get involved and help shape and build the business. To echo another reviewers point, it's easy to connect with them and talk about anything (work or non-work related).

I get to work with people that are ambitious, fun to be around, and what to get to know me, push me, challenge me, and develop me. This all makes it feel that I'm never actually showing up to work. I get up every morning and am excited to see my friends, work on problems, and make AdRoll the best it can be.

I have opportunities to continue to develop in my career. I've seen dozens of people move into new roles (to Marketing, Recruiting, Account Management, Sales, and Management). I've see people serve as Ambassadors to offices in other regions, and on Landing Teams to help build new offices. Yes, the reality is that not everyone is going to get every opportunity and the competition for new roles can be fierce (in a good way!). But it's the fact that the opportunities are there is what I find most important. To me it demonstrates that the management team is actively thinking about providing opportunities. If you're ambitious and perform you'll have plentiful opportunities. I think that's a fair approach.

Lastly, I like the product. We're well known in the ad tech world (which helps when you're selling) and able to win deals against some tough competition (Facebook, Google, Criteo). We may not win everything, but we win more than we lose. The fact is, we sell a product that's useful, works, and is easy to explain. I see the value and so it's easy for me to be excited about it to customers and prospects. There's a lot of development going into new products (and shoring up our core product) that reassures me we're heading in the right direction with things.

Overall, this has been the best experience of my career to date. The environment is hectic at times, it's fast paced and you have to be ready for things to change (and break), but I knew that coming in. When things do go wrong we have the right people to help navigate and get things back on track.

Cons

Office location is less than ideal but I've never felt unsafe. We're a block away from the mall on Mission street. Do I wish we were in a shiny new building in the middle of town, or by the water? Absolutely. Is it a big deal that we're not? Not really. I don't stress over it and the office in general is very nice (plentiful snacks, open environment, etc, etc).

Things do break from time to time (the nature of a start-up). It can be frustrating but you have to know that going into it. You're joining a fast growing ad tech company in an industry that turns on a time. If you're used to a very stable environment that doesn't push on development, innovate, or you're simply not comfortable with change, then AdRoll is probably not the best place for you.

Not everything is figured out! That's OK, it means that people get to help figure things out. This may be frustrating depending on the world you're coming from. For me, it's been a pleasant change to not have an insane amount of process or policy to follow, while having the necessary and right processes in place. Everyone seems to be cognizant of not creating process for the sake of it. I appreciate that and know it's a delicate balance.

Compensation is on par with other tech companies. Grass is always greener I suppose. The reality is someone will always pay more money. I feel fairly compensated and get to work in a great culture, with a strong leadership team, growing product, and caring co-workers.

Keep doing what you're doing. You make the effort to connect with people, overly share information (from ideas, challenges, to what's coming), and ask for input. You reward and celebrate those that make the effort. For those that are slow to ramp (or lack effort) you have patience and work with them to help them be successful. I see that, and think it's unique. It's reassuring to know the focus is on driving a high performing culture where people feel supported and have opportunities to be here for a long time.

Solid company with strong leadership that cares about it's employees and clients

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company almost a year and I still enjoy coming to work! I actually love my job and the people I work with and for. This company works hard to interview and hire good people. Not just smart and talented people, but people that will mesh well with the culture. Leadership really works hard to insure the company and the culture is happy and healthy. They genuinely care and it shows in their actions and words. The leadership is transparent and are actually well grounded and down to earth people. I can speak to any of the executives about almost anything and not feel like they are speaking down to you, they are all approachable and will engage with you. Working for AdRoll actually gives you the feeling you are helping to build something great and your work / contributions benefit the companies march towards something bigger and better.

Cons

The only real con is the location of the office. It is not in a desirable part of the city. Lots of "walking-zombies" in the area you often have to step over or walk around. The company however is mindful of this issue and is insuring the safety of the employees with some helpful perks. Leadership is actively looking for a new location.

Keep doing what you have been doing. You have been making many solid and well considered decisions and the company continues to grow and thrive as a result!

Awesome company!

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AdRoll as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, great people, awesome benefits, company is very generous. We get paid holidays and lots of other great perks.

Cons

I really have no cons for AdRoll. One time we didn't even hit quota and they still gave us tickets to Outside Lands (a huge concert in San Francisco). I hope that as they continue to grow and thrive they continue to keep the personable environment of a small start up.

Keep on keepin' on

Nowhere else I'd rather be!

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AdRoll affords people a fantastic opportunity to grow both personally and professionally.

From the top down, people trust you to perform highly in your role and allow you the freedom to explore other areas in the org that you may be interested in.

I could not think of a better place to work or better people to work with. It's a blessing to be able to come into work each day to work/play with people I love.

Cons

As the company grows opportunities to distinguish yourself are not just given out as they used to be. They are only afforded to those that are actively pursuing them.

Challenging, Fun, Rapid-Growth

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing hyper growth, international and domestic growth, diversifying the product offering

Emphasis on core values reinforces hiring standards and client service levels

Culture and people are incredible - intelligent, hard-working, fun

Core product sells itself, performs extremely well across most channels and verticals

Lots of potential for upward growth and career development

Cons

Office is in a shady part of SF but the company has hired a security team and offers to cover taxis home at night

Less than optimal internal tools can lead to long ramp up times in the sales org (AEs and AMs)

Product marketing team has yet to be developed which can create confusion selling new products

Disparity in work/life balance across departments - some are 9-5 while some still work 11 hour days

Keep culture paramount and get a product marketing team built as soon as possible!

Great combination of opportunity, product, and culture

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-- Very energetic and fun culture with big emphasis on teamwork and collaboration.
    -- Weekly all-hands meetings with amazing transparency into the company's plans, financials
    -- Very approachable management team
    -- Full compensation package (salary, health benefits, pre-IPO equity), on par or better than many much larger, public companies

Cons

-- Not necessarily a 'con', but going through rapid growth phase (including international) which presents some unique challenges.
    -- While the office itself is great, the surrounding neighborhood can be a little dirty and dodgy
    -- We also have a solid 401K plan with Fidelity, but don't have employer matching (yet)

Great people, culture and opportunity

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at AdRoll are some of the highest caliber I've had the pleasure of working with. People here work hard, collaborate, and celebrate each other's successes while helping each other to grow both personally and within their career.

Cons

Moving up through the organization is a little nebulous.

Keep it up!

Great culture, great people, great opportunities

I have been working at AdRoll full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are warm and friendly and culture isn't just represented by a mural on the wall....it's legit and it's something everyone seems to care about nurturing...from the top down. People seem to care a lot about holding themselves accountable. Employees are crazy smart and work really hard and the exec team is super approachable and friendly. Opportunities seem abundant. There's a lot of internal movement, promotion, and growth. Everyone is action and results focused from small things like addressing safety issues in the neighborhood, to the larger, business focused initiatives. If you are a hard worker, and you genuinely care about doing a good job and being part of a team, then you'll love it here and you'll feel appreciated and challenged.

Cons

It's hard to come up with anything super negative.....The office isn't in the greatest neighborhood (but lots of effort has been made to address this, like offering Uber rides home when necessary, a security guard, and a team that helps to suggest different parking and valet options). Relative to some other start ups, the food and in-office perks aren't that excessive, but there's a good selection of stuff.

Keep focusing on culture and on hiring great people. Growth makes it hard to maintain your values, but if you continue to hold yourself and your employees accountable for doing just that, they'll keep the culture alive.