AdRoll

AdRoll Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

AdRoll CEO, Founder Aaron Bell

Aaron Bell

Great culture, great people, great opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are warm and friendly and culture isn't just represented by a mural on the wall....it's legit and it's something everyone seems to care about nurturing...from the top down. People seem to care a lot about holding themselves accountable. Employees are crazy smart and work really hard and the exec team is super approachable and friendly. Opportunities seem abundant. There's a lot of internal movement, promotion, and growth. Everyone is action and results focused from small things like addressing safety issues in the neighborhood, to the larger, business focused initiatives. If you are a hard worker, and you genuinely care about doing a good job and being part of a team, then you'll love it here and you'll feel appreciated and challenged.

ConsIt's hard to come up with anything super negative.....The office isn't in the greatest neighborhood (but lots of effort has been made to address this, like offering Uber rides home when necessary, a security guard, and a team that helps to suggest different parking and valet options). Relative to some other start ups, the food and in-office perks aren't that excessive, but there's a good selection of stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on culture and on hiring great people. Growth makes it hard to maintain your values, but if you continue to hold yourself and your employees accountable for doing just that, they'll keep the culture alive.

Awesome people, values and company!

ProsSuper transparent, amazing people, everyone has a mentor mentality

ConsNothing bad I can think of!

FratRoll

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Gave me a chance to branch in to the ad tech industry and learn a lot quickly.
    - Ramped accounts and projects quickly.
    - Culture to a point. Lots of things offered but if you choose to have a life outside of the office considered 'anti-social' and directly affects relationship with your manager.
    - Snacks and quarterly spiffs.

Cons- MICRO MANAGED. Have been talked to by my manager multiple times about my emails that they have read in Salesforce.
    - If not one of the 'original' AMs or one of their favorites than no room to grow past a certain point.
    - Impossible to transfer to another team and explore new found strengths.
    - Feel like I am right back in high school/college trying to navigate the cliques and politics of the office.
    - Manager takes credit for work and projects if they are high visibility.
    - No career guidance or mapping.
    - Most promotions are determined based on tenure, not the best fit for the job, resulting in bad leadership within the Sales organization.
    - Absolutely no work life balance to be found. It is a JOKE.
    - AM team is rarely given credit or recognized for anything.
    - Office location isn't safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a real look at the people that you are promoting and their behavior in and out of the office. It might be a party for you while you are waiting to cash out but you should stop walking over your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Might be the worst place I've worked

Delight Specialist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCan't think of many pros. When Is tarted I had very high hopes and it seemed like a great place, but that changed very quickly.

- Nice snacks
    - Can't think of much else

Cons- No work/life balance
    - Yelled at for not working from home when I called in sick
    - Manager never around, listened to music all day, we spoke maybe once a week
    - Micro-management of truly epic proportions. Everyday 4-5 people would review what I did and leave comments, often assigning me work to do. None of them were management of any kind
    - Extremely cliquey office environment. Typical start-up frat like environment
    - Management threatened by people more intelligent than they
    - No clear growth directions career wise
    - Confusing/nearly unusable backend systems. Reports and systems that are critical to your job have an immature and confusing naming structure they think is cute and funny, but really it just makes you job impossible since out of context something called "Maaty McFly" means nothing to a new person.
    - Expected to be fully ramped up on everything after a few weeks on the job; first 2 weeks of job are back to back meetings and training about the company, not your actual job duties.
    - etc. etc. etc. I'm tired of writing about all the negative things now

Advice to Senior Management- Grow up. It's a job, not a party.
    - It is a managers job to make an employee feel supported and to help them develop the skills they need to succeed.
    - Stop having all-staff meetings every week. once a month is fine for most companies. not much changes in a week and this become a huge time waster.
    - Cut back on the initial meetings and trainings. a) 2 weeks of solid meetings is too much b) you don't learn anything because there is too much information being thrown at you at once c) most of the information has little to nothing to do with your actual job, this time could be better spent on more applicable training
    - Respect peoples lives outside the company. People have families, friends and lives they enjoy very much.
    - Teach managers and HR about what is legal and illegal. It is in fact illegal to tell someone they should work from home even when they are sick.

Horrible company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHardly anyone.....career suicide it is. You join this company and your so called manager don't even come to say hello to you.

ConsThis is worst place I ever worked. People are mischief . management well there are none..do not waste your time with such company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire proper manager please...one guy can't manage everyone

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Best career move I've made in a long time

Computers (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing attention to detail in interview process. They want to ensure they hire the best people with the best attitude. Very open about changes and direction of the company. Executive team is always available to chat with and discuss problems or ideas.

ConsWould be nice to have unlimited PTO to allow employees to take time off when needed to enjoy life a bit more.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great fun and great momentum, but a lot issues lurk beneath the surface

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAdRoll has answered the call of a lot of small/medium sized advertisers by bringing a great product to the masses. It pretty much sells itself. The place is growing very rapidly which is exciting. There are some opportunities to take on other roles still left in sales and elsewhere. The official perks (dinner 1 night, beer around all the time, bagels on wednesday, occasional gifts for hitting goals) are OK, but the unofficial stuff (casual dress code, post-work gatehrings, trivia nights, dogs, etc) is even better. By all accounts, AdRoll is "killing it" as a business and will continue to do so as far as I can tell.

ConsNearly all truly important roles are filled from outside hires, and usually from Google, so pedigree seems to be an issue more and more. Despite what anyone says, it's very cliquey as you move up the chain of command - if you don't kiss up to all the right people you will not be "brought to the table" for anything important. We have been unable to fill (and/or keep filled) major roles like a VP of Marketing and VP of Engineering, etc, which exemplifies this problem. While it is a great place to work overall, most of the enthusiasm that you hear about in polls and rankings and these other posts comes from employees that have been here 6-8 months or less as a lot of others have either been burned in some way and are over it, or are just there for the paycheck. Also, positive participation in a lot of the anonymous/voluntary polls that lead to AdRoll being ranked a great place to work are somewhat mandated by managers and make it feel contrived. The results of an anonymous internal survey last year also downplayed the grievances and amplified the applause from employees - which made it a pretty useless exercise so that's frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the inner circle. Break down the cliques. Leave your egos at home. Care more. Upper management should really talk to more of your employees in all areas directly for truly open and honest communication - broad polls will not do the trick. Moderator boards will not do the trick. Get your finger on the pulse. Really work on identifying the internal problems and fixing them - trust me, they're there - if you want AdRoll to really be the place I know you want it to be.

Career Changing Experience At AdRoll

ProsThe switch to AdRoll from my previous job had an immediate improvement on my quality of life. I woke up every Monday morning fired up to come to work. This starts with the people I'm surrounded by. Not only did I have an amazing mentor as my manager, I formed close bonds with the team and was impressed by their thoughtfulness. When my colleagues succeeded, it pushed me to work even harder.

Life at the office has always been fun, but they've made a commitment to making the office cozy, safe and enjoyable place to be.

The best part about my job is that I get to see the direct impact on my efforts on the company's progress. Transparency is a term they take very seriously here, and it shows. They trust their employees, which leads to us fully believing the vision and values. Come Roll with us, you won't regret it.

ConsNothing comes to mind other than the neighborhood is a little sketchy, but they have made improvement to the safety of the building. I've never had a serious issue.

One of the top companies in San Francisco!

Pros-Excellent leadership: management has a clear, concise idea of where the company is headed which is communicated to employees every week
    -Fun, exciting, start-up experience, even as the company transforms themselves into a top-tier player
    -Transparency, transparency, transparency: I thought this was just the pitch they gave to new employees when I originally started but this still rings true over a year later. I have worked at three tech firms(two good, one bad) prior to this and none of them come even close to AdRoll.

Cons-With the fast growth of the company, there are growing pains in every department. Then again, with growth comes opportunity!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! The company values still hold strong to this day but the growth continues. Hold strong to the important ideas that employees look for in an employer.

Shangrolla

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-From Dev to Product do Sales, this is one of the most interesting group of people I've had the pleasure of working with.
    -Hard work is usually rewarded with opportunities for accelerated advancement.
    -Aaron Bell and the senior management team are an exceptional group. I have the utmost faith in their ability to continue to put AdRoll in a winning market position.
    -Great training program for client facing (read: Sales and AM) roles.

Cons-Lack of transparency around outstanding equity volume makes it difficult to feel comfortable with that portion of compensation. If you want to motivate employees by telling them that they have skin in the game, they should at least have a sense of how much.
    -Non-Dev comp is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum. This is a great place to be junior sales rep but can be difficult to justify for a more senior AE when looking at comp packages being offered for similar positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome but don't forget that the core values should be represented by everyone at AdRoll, including the company itself, not just the rank and file.

Worked for AdRoll? Contribute to the Community!