Adams 12 Five Star Schools

Updated September 30, 2014
2.4

CEO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools

Pros

Great supportive faculty in the schools. Good vision for the future for the well being of students including STEM schools.

Cons

Not given appropriate training to do your job effectively. An administrative staff that made teachers feel as if it was an "us and them" situation instead of everyone working cooperatively for the greater good of the students.

Could have had a good vision for the school system but there seemed to be some underlying political issues that they were guided by.

F grade

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools

Pros

Most employees really care about doing their best and keep the students best interest in mind. Many good programs in place.

Cons

Admin bldg senior leadership are too political, alternate personal agendas. Unethical at times

Disband the good old boy network and replace ineffective senior leadership. Don't break that which is working.

Very Caustic Environment

Former Employee - Engineer in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Thornton, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The teachers and individuals out in the schools are amazing. Great people to work with and help. Decent pay.

Cons

Between an over population of Senior Management, the career growth opportunities are slim to none. If you are not a teacher, you usually have to wait for someone to get fired, retire, or die before a promotion is possible. The culture is extremely caustic with friends of Sr. Management being hired. The move to Kaiser only for healthcare denied the choice for the employee.

It is very interesting that a new director in a department was hired by the CITO who previously worked with him at a previous job. Does this look like an equal opportunity employer? Nope.

Stop hiring your friends. Focus on a positive culture. No one wants to be surrounded by the caustic attitudes. Check your budget and allocate more for a positive culture for both staff and students.

No longer a good district to work for. Used to be a very good district to work for.

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time

Pros

Good teachers, good physical environment for teachers and students.

Cons

Since the current Superintendent came to power the administration is top heavy with unnecessary, highly paid Executive Directors. They are absolutely tone deaf to teachers and real student needs. There is a district wide effort to get rid of highly qualified teachers so they can hire inexperienced, young teachers whom they can intimidate and control.. Very poor administrators (principals, etc) who are rarely at school because they are always at meetings. Very political, unsupportive environment throughout the district.

Listen and support teachers who are on the front lines.

Great School District

Former Employee - Intervention and Support in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Intervention and Support in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools part-time

Pros

I always felt that I was encouraged to push the norm and learn new teaching techniques. I was encourged to continue learning any specialties I felt my job would benifit from.

Cons

Doesn't spend it's money well. The district office shouldn't be loaded with the latest while some schools are struggling for reading material and workbooks.

Kids first, office "updates" second.

Tough Times at Adams 12

Current Employee - Teacher in Northglenn, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Northglenn, CO

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The school is located in a suburban community and is near lots of amenities for school field trips. It hosts an outstanding teaching staff that is highly qualified, well educated and experienced. Classroom instruction is peer reviewed and staff work in teams to improve classroom instruction. There are opportunities for mentorship in this district. The District Teacher Education Association (DTEA) provides support for teachers when supervisory issues arise and/or a building principal uses their power to push a staff member to quit or out of the classroom.

Cons

The district is extremely top heavy and it is centrally commanded by the Education Services Center (ESC). We currently have an inexperienced superintendent who has never been a teacher and did not rise through the education ranks. Our community mistakenly thought hiring a local boy for continuity's sake would bode well for our teachers and students; were we ever wrong! In addition, we currently have a school board that is hostile to teachers and teacher collective bargaining and/or the district's Master Agreement that establishes set rules and guidelines for teachers to follow. This hostility has created an atmosphere of fear and distrust among employees. It is not a pleasant place to work right now. The ESC continues to plod ahead with misguided consultation from outside think tanks and reformers rather than rely on its experienced teachers to provide improvement in classroom instruction. It also continues to attack its classroom teachers by using the SB 191, a law passed that unjustly ties teacher effectiveness to test scores and the whims of building administrators.

This advice is more to community than management: Elect a teacher and student friendly school board; get involved in parent groups; demand that good teachers remain in their classrooms; and demand smaller classroom sizes because there is money for more teachers. To school management: stop lying about the budget, hire more teachers, and stop attacking the Master Agreement that has provided set rules and guidelines for teachers for decades, and has done the district well all these years.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Teacher in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Thornton, CO

Pros

When I started teaching for Adams 12 it was a good place to work overall. With the former superintendent, teachers were supported and respected. Any problems, I believe were with quality of texts and the constraints on teacher innovation which come from the top.

Cons

I have never had a good principal who actually knew about my subject. They have been very political and not supportive or respectful of the teachers. They try to get rid of teachers by a variety of underhanded means and not because of the quality of their teaching but based on whether or not they liked them personally or they brown-nosed them or they made them look good in some other way. It is always very adversarial between the teachers and the principals and especially between the teachers and the central administration. They did not judge teachers on an individual and fair basis and were very poltical. As a result, sometimes it encouraged some teachers to backbite others. It was not conducive to good education. Too often also, there was little support for discipline. However, a lot of this is because of the political correctness of upper administration.

This district needs to find a new superintendent who actually listens to his teachers and is not political. They also need to get rid of the highly paid Executive Directors who supposedly oversee the schools but who can never get a real idea of what is going on in the classroom in the few minutes they spend there. They also play politics. Listen to the teachers who are actually on the front lines with the students instead of those who don't know what is really going on. Support discipline, support and respect teachers, especially those who are highly qualified and have many years of experience instead of trying to get rid of them so you can hire young teachers who can be paid less. Support teacher led innovation from all teachers. The young have new ideas, the older have lots of valuable experience. You need to value both. Most schools could run quite well without the principals who are rarely there and most of whom do not support their staff in a way that actually helps students learn.

A lot of work for little pay.

Current Employee - Para Substitute
    Current Employee - Para Substitute

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools part-time

Pros

If you have children in school your schedule is similar to theirs.

Cons

You are not paid what you are worth. You get paid once a month.

Perfectly staffed IT Department with friendly colleagues.

Former Employee - IT Student Intern in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - IT Student Intern in Thornton, CO

I worked at Adams 12 Five Star Schools as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay
    Great Benefits
    Friendly management and peers
    Constantly Learning

Cons

Hot in Summer while the Schools don't pay for cooling the building

Too many Directors and Head Staff that do little or no work to help the bottom line, educating students.

Current Employee - ESC Support Individual in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - ESC Support Individual in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Adams 12 Five Star Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is great to work with the staff and individuals out in the schools, or trenches as our management refers to it. They are always excited to meet us and are following the "Warm, Opening, and Welcome" policies that "HQ" is touting. Bottom line: Great staff in the schools, clear out the Directors and Senior staff to make it a quality organization.

Cons

Where to begin... Senior staff loves to fire middle management in order to bring on higher paid Directors which are usually friends of the Super. There are a lot of "favors" going on to people who are friends with Senior Staff. Lots of individuals who are in positions with little to no real world experience running critical departments. We need the taxpayers to wake up and dig into this poorly managed environment. Employees hate their jobs right now.

LEAVE. You cannot change the world by working backwards and not focusing on more specialist, classroom technology, directors, and Senior Staff. Focus on the quality of student education and igniting the passion in each student that walks through the door.

Adams 12 Five Star Schools Photos