Adams Thermal Systems

1.4

Mike Adams

An Experience You Will Never Forget

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems

Pros

Salaries are typically higher for management, engineering etc - if you come with a fairly impressive automotive type resume. Very negotiable. Also, advancement can happen quickly as there is a lot of turn over.

Cons

Systems are not in place and when/if they do get in place - are not supported. Turn over is very high in management due to burn out, work life balance, lack of support, assignment of blame, location, work conditions, poorly trained staff, etc. New management is brought in and given the hope that they can turn the place around - but fail. Turn over really sums it up with out getting into too many details.

Let someone else manage the business.

I had great expectations when Adams purchased the company but my respect and confidence diminished in 5 years

Former Employee - Tech
    Former Employee - Tech

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary was good the health benefits had high deductible but okay for single people with no family. Turn over was high so advancements happened often if you qualified. I had the most respect for the old timers most of them were easy to talk with and would and could help new hires if they needed help.

Cons

After a few years or even months the newer folks usually start wearing down and less smiley faces are seen. I have noticed real good people being hired on with a great outlook and the desire to make a difference but their optimism would slowly disappear after day after day of frustrations with the companies lack of professional leadership and with the CAB department struggle to make a good product that has so many opportunities to fail in the product build.

What is sad about this block of advice that I could share some good advice but I wont, is that I know for a fact that the people who should read this working at ATS will not because they don't want to see the negatives from what a handful of former employees will say about their thoughts because we (former employees) have attitudes and moved on from ATS. But its we the people who was always there at work and gave %100 that got tired of it and lost what ever job satisfaction we had and our confidence in ATS left also, most people need and want a job satisfaction to blend with our daily life so our family life stays healthy and happy. I pray for good changes to happen at ATS for the company name and future many people need to continue having that paycheck.

Very disappointed with how management treats the associates!! And no one knows or uses the quality systems!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wages and hours were the only pros for this company!

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE!! Worked there for over 27 yrs. they are not matching 401K, taking money away from associates! The company does NOT care about quality what so ever!!

Get a CLUE!! Learn your quality systems.! There are quality systems in place but only used when they need to! SO SAD to see a great place to work (Behr Heat Transfer) to such a BAD place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems

Pros

Pay may be more or less good. That is the only positive thing I can say about this company. Not very many positive things about this company to say.

Cons

Horrible place to work, owner is running an slave camp for real. He is a horrible person who abuses his people and power, Run run run from there!The owner pretends to be a Christian person for his benefit but he is a very shady person who takes advantage of people in every not Christian way possible! Not a good place to work it all!

Learn to actually be human beings!

Co-workers are great. Company is going down hill very fast

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wages ok. The long term employees know what they are doing and are friendly. Benefits are slightly below average.

Cons

401 K match has not been done for three years. Used to get bonuses, not anymore. Upper management brought in from outside and doesn't understand the products and processes. If something breaks down most often people are told to go home and have to use PTO. Can't get tools needed quickly, air quality poor. A lot of equipment in the old part of the business are in poor shape and in need of updating. Rather than screen and hire competent people they just bring in temps and a lot of them don't speak very good English or understand what needs to be done. That is part of the quality problem. A lot of the people that are brought in aren't motivated. If you don't have a college degree your chances of getting a promotion are very slim. The company doesn't train employees for advancement. Lastly, people wanted be treated with respect.

Upper management should be replaced all the way to the top. The CEO/Owner should concentrate on keeping his company running and keeping employees happy so that they feel wanted and respected. Then the quality will be better. Owner needs to update the old equipment. Make sure employees are properly trained and know exactly what is expected of them so that they can do quality work. When the Owner says the he will match 401k he should do so. Train old time employees for advancement, they know the products best. If the owner wants to make donations that is fine but don't do so at the expense of the company. Employees health and safety are first, equipment, building. When the company is in a good financial state then owner should donate as he desires to.

People are set up for and destined for failure due to lack of structure and management

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems

Pros

There are few high points from my time at Adams. There are some great people there. Many of the employees are competent, focused, and mean to do well at their jobs. Honestly, many just don't care. But the ones who show up and truly want to make a difference are the ones I really enjoyed working with. Unfortunately, those people are stuck in a losing battle.

Cons

If you don't mind arrogance, condescending attitudes, assumptions that you are completely inept and incapable of doing your job, this might be the place for you. Management acts with an air that they are better than the people who work for them and make the business run. However, management is far from supportive when it comes to providing training, guidance, support, mentoring, all those things that tend to lead to successful team members. They also lack accountability and structure. All of this needs to come from the top down. But the upper levels of management are too busy congratulating each other on what a fine job they are doing to notice that their staff are lacking in the support that they desperately need.

Provide structure and support. But more importantly, start holding the RIGHT people accountable. Provide a work environment where people feel needed and appreciated.

Too Big Too Fast

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation was outstanding, benefits were average.
    A great job to have while you are looking for a different one.

Cons

Challenging management staff
    Lack of consistent leadership
    Lack of sustained and meaningful training
    Very little appreciation for outstanding associates
    Low morale due to constant layoffs and poor accountability measures

Focus on your best and most valued asset, YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Look somewhere else for a job PLEASE. If you don't, you will regret it 100%. I guarantee it.

Former Employee - Salaried  in  Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Salaried in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for area and the people there are great. You get to know them very well if you are in the front office because at least 3-4 people will be sitting within 8 feet of you. Great company for extroverts who like waiting for the ax to drop

Cons

Most of these are due simply to an extremely bad productivity and high scrap rate, which I would blame on apathy. After a year or so, even hard workers lose hope and just go with the downward flow. 401k matching is deemed optional by management and hasn't occurred for 3? years. Bonuses also haven't happened as far as I know on a broad scale. There is now A/C in the oven area, which was a large expense, but beyond that, you'd think the owner would prefer to build a school in Africa rather than take care of responsibilities to his own employees. Multiple-day shut-downs are announced very late and salaried people often end up using most of their PTO to cover them. If you have no PTO left, the days are unpaid. Kind of hard to accumulate PTO as a new employee if 8-10 days per year of it is used for shut-downs. The office area is very loud and very open. Only managers get an office and only a handful have something close to a cubicle. Some entire departments are simply gone and others are expected to "diversify" their workload to accommodate.

To management: Your hands are tied, half your staff is gone, you don't have what you need to turn things around, and your budget proposal just got laughed at. There are lots of great opportunities out there, so talk to a good recruiter and move on. To the owner: keep you non-profit tidings to yourself at company meetings and instead focus on breathing new life into your employees and company. It will collapse soon if you don't.

Great co-workers horrible company! Stay far away

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, friendly co-workers, decent pay

Cons

Never no when your going to loose your job. HE continues to hire incompanitant staff.

There's to many managers not enough employees.

Sisyphus and the Boulder - Push it up one side of a hill, it rolls down the other, push it up the other side...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time

Pros

Pays relatively well
    You learn a lot about the company's customers
    Easy to earn additional PTO with volunteering
    Many talented individuals in non-management positions

Cons

-The poor culture at ATS is 100% a failure of management. Unfortunately a downside of companies with a sole owner is that all decisions reflect in one way or another on that owner, so a poor choice in leadership at the executive level is rarely rectified because it would mean losing face. ATS is no exception.

-The company refuses to learn from its mistakes because it doesn't admit making them. If the company had a motto, it would be "Not my fault!"; management acts as if the company has just been a victim of circumstance instead of poorly managed

-Poor OSHA record

-Extremely high turnover at all levels so instability is the result

-New hires are still promised a 10% bonus annually, paid quarterly. This hasn't been paid out in over 2 years.

Stop making grand pronouncements about changes and just start making them. Let the hired talent run the place as you hired them to do. Stop making decisions and changes just for the sake of justifying your existence. Focus on rebuilding your relationships with long time customers. Keep your promises!

Worked for Adams Thermal Systems? Contribute to the Community!