Adams Thermal Systems

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Mike Adams

An Experience You Will Never Forget

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems

ProsSalaries are typically higher for management, engineering etc - if you come with a fairly impressive automotive type resume. Very negotiable. Also, advancement can happen quickly as there is a lot of turn over.

ConsSystems are not in place and when/if they do get in place - are not supported. Turn over is very high in management due to burn out, work life balance, lack of support, assignment of blame, location, work conditions, poorly trained staff, etc. New management is brought in and given the hope that they can turn the place around - but fail. Turn over really sums it up with out getting into too many details.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet someone else manage the business.

Too Big Too Fast

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation was outstanding, benefits were average.
A great job to have while you are looking for a different one.

ConsChallenging management staff
Lack of consistent leadership
Lack of sustained and meaningful training
Very little appreciation for outstanding associates
Low morale due to constant layoffs and poor accountability measures

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your best and most valued asset, YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Look somewhere else for a job PLEASE. If you don't, you will regret it 100%. I guarantee it.

Salaried (Former Employee)

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay for area and the people there are great. You get to know them very well if you are in the front office because at least 3-4 people will be sitting within 8 feet of you. Great company for extroverts who like waiting for the ax to drop

ConsMost of these are due simply to an extremely bad productivity and high scrap rate, which I would blame on apathy. After a year or so, even hard workers lose hope and just go with the downward flow. 401k matching is deemed optional by management and hasn't occurred for 3? years. Bonuses also haven't happened as far as I know on a broad scale. There is now A/C in the oven area, which was a large expense, but beyond that, you'd think the owner would prefer to build a school in Africa rather than take care of responsibilities to his own employees. Multiple-day shut-downs are announced very late and salaried people often end up using most of their PTO to cover them. If you have no PTO left, the days are unpaid. Kind of hard to accumulate PTO as a new employee if 8-10 days per year of it is used for shut-downs. The office area is very loud and very open. Only managers get an office and only a handful have something close to a cubicle. Some entire departments are simply gone and others are expected to "diversify" their workload to accommodate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo management: Your hands are tied, half your staff is gone, you don't have what you need to turn things around, and your budget proposal just got laughed at. There are lots of great opportunities out there, so talk to a good recruiter and move on. To the owner: keep you non-profit tidings to yourself at company meetings and instead focus on breathing new life into your employees and company. It will collapse soon if you don't.

Great co-workers horrible company! Stay far away

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, friendly co-workers, decent pay

ConsNever no when your going to loose your job. HE continues to hire incompanitant staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's to many managers not enough employees.

Sisyphus and the Boulder - Push it up one side of a hill, it rolls down the other, push it up the other side...

ProsPays relatively well
You learn a lot about the company's customers
Easy to earn additional PTO with volunteering
Many talented individuals in non-management positions

Cons-The poor culture at ATS is 100% a failure of management. Unfortunately a downside of companies with a sole owner is that all decisions reflect in one way or another on that owner, so a poor choice in leadership at the executive level is rarely rectified because it would mean losing face. ATS is no exception.

-The company refuses to learn from its mistakes because it doesn't admit making them. If the company had a motto, it would be "Not my fault!"; management acts as if the company has just been a victim of circumstance instead of poorly managed

-Poor OSHA record

-Extremely high turnover at all levels so instability is the result

-New hires are still promised a 10% bonus annually, paid quarterly. This hasn't been paid out in over 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making grand pronouncements about changes and just start making them. Let the hired talent run the place as you hired them to do. Stop making decisions and changes just for the sake of justifying your existence. Focus on rebuilding your relationships with long time customers. Keep your promises!

Could be better....

Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStarting pay is good whether your a entry level worker on up.The people are friendly and it's easy work.

ConsHot in the summertime (No A/C). Poor communication on all levels. Owner's views on christian values he needs to keep to himself and not throw it on us.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us realistic goals to attain in the plant. Commend for a job well done.

Don't f#%ing work there... You will develop an anxiety disorder.

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time

ProsIt's a job. You get paid ok and you learn a lot because the company functions like a start up.

ConsThis place is horrible. The owner pushes Christianity and emphasizes values but nothing is done about the dangerous work conditions hurting employees. It's like working in hell/BS mountain. They took away benefits from employees and downsized instead of making smart decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating people badly and with disrespect. The place needs to stop talking about changing things and start a complete culture change right now. Stop pointing fingers and flying off the hook like children. Work smarter not harder.

a great learning experience and informative

Job Setter (Current Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems full-time for less than a year

Prosgood pay,good coworkers and helps the community

Conshot,poor communication hiring uneducated personal

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better

Full of promises unfulfilled.

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time

ProsGreat vision of what the company wants to be. Has tried to make an impact locally and globally. Savvy business moves have kept it ahead of competitors.

ConsManagement does not live up to their vision. It is a meat-grinder employer. No discipline in processes. Convictions don't matter if shipments are going to be missed. Management does not allow employees to balance their home life with work demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust professionals you hire to run the company. Stay true to convictions.

Worked for Adams Thermal Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Adams Thermal Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Adams Thermal Systems CEO Mike Adams. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Adams Thermal Systems employees.