Adams Thermal Systems

1.3

Mike Adams

An Experience You Will Never Forget

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems

Pros

Salaries are typically higher for management, engineering etc - if you come with a fairly impressive automotive type resume. Very negotiable. Also, advancement can happen quickly as there is a lot of turn over.

Cons

Systems are not in place and when/if they do get in place - are not supported. Turn over is very high in management due to burn out, work life balance, lack of support, assignment of blame, location, work conditions, poorly trained staff, etc. New management is brought in and given the hope that they can turn the place around - but fail. Turn over really sums it up with out getting into too many details.

Let someone else manage the business.

Dangerous for your health

Former Employee - Evaporator Core Builder/Clamper in Canton, SD
    Former Employee - Evaporator Core Builder/Clamper in Canton, SD

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were nice, I liked my floor supervisors.I liked that I could support childern from another country with food for the hungry with my paycheck and adams would meet half of it. You do make a lot of money. I appreciated the experience I gained there.

Cons

Corporate management team doesnt seem to care about well being of floor level workers. Floor management team I enjoyed, but we all did not like higher ups. We worked in horrible hot sweltering temperatures up to 119 degrees with ovens at our backs so it could get higher. In my area, Evaporation core building there was this white aluminum dust in the air and many people suffered from it including me. I signed up to work 40 hours 4 days a weeks, but turned into a nightmare after 2 months when they upped our hours and we would work 7 days a week, once 3-4 weeks in a row. My team was the fastest core building team on 2nd shift, but numbers got lower bc they didnt give us a day off to rest resulting in 66 hours or more avg a week.It was ridiculous. My cousin was a team lead and one week I know for sure he worked over 79 hours. He would have shouting matches with higher ups bc they put unrealistic demands on the people and as a good leader he wanted to stand up for his team. Im surprised they didnt fire him but it goes to show they are in dire need of good help. The human body can only take so much. I had wanted to stay years with this company but my doctor told me I should quit bc my lungs were being affected. I would have raspy breathing and also have horrible bleeding noses. I was in my early twenties by the way not old by any means. I vomited a couple of times in this harsh environment. I became one of the best core builders and clampers despite the conditions but I was stubborn and I like to be the best at my job. I was disappointed I had to leave my job bc things just keep getting worst as they put in a second iven right next to us. My supervisor had this temp laser gun where he could shine at certain areas and some spots reached up to 120 degrees in our work area stations. We are supposed to get extra breaks when temps are this super bad but the office judges it by walking in their air conditioned area and the temps outside the facility. Seriously that sucked. They should judge it by the manufacturing floor like the areas my supervisor shines his light in. This company is rated one of the most dangerous to work for and I agree completely. After I left my health got better within one month. Previous people who quit also reported the same. There is no life when you work there, my personal life was not even there. There was only sleep, work, eat with the ten-12 hour 7 days a week they gave us. Other areas of the plant are a bit better, but still. I was impressed with my co workers who work so hard but with the hours upped and harsher eniviroment our group morale truly fell. I hope and pray that this company soon changes there ways simply because the employees there do need their jobs, but cant speak up for themselves. I researched South dakota laws and there was hardly any thing there to protect us from such hours and treatments.

Maybe put in a built in vacuum or something to suck up dangerous dust.. the health of workers deteriorate as you expect them to wear long sleeves and masks in 110 degree weather. listen to lower level workers more, they work like slaves for you in terrible temps. Give workers the rest they need so they can be rejuvenated to work. Put in more cooling fan for evap workers and oven workers, not just for coolness but for breathing room. This company Ceo claims to be Christian so take please care of the poor hardworking humans in your plant, not just people in other countries.

Management has many issues they don't want to solve

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many "pros" when I was employed there.

Cons

Very high turnover rate caused by complete lack of management. My biggest complaint is the CEOs need to supplement his philanthropic efforts at the cost of 401k match, raises, and bonuses. Quality of product was very poor with little desire to fix the manufacturing issues that leads to this poor quality. I'm surprised they still have the large scale customers they do; although most of these customers will be finding their products elsewhere when the competition can support the product demand.

Lost cause.

No morals

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly people, great pay, and tons of overtime.

Cons

No quality, poor HR team, thick buddy system, lack of leadership, and a failing business.

Quality before Quantity!

I had great expectations when Adams purchased the company but my respect and confidence diminished in 5 years

Former Employee - Tech
    Former Employee - Tech

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was good the health benefits had high deductible but okay for single people with no family. Turn over was high so advancements happened often if you qualified. I had the most respect for the old timers most of them were easy to talk with and would and could help new hires if they needed help.

Cons

After a few years or even months the newer folks usually start wearing down and less smiley faces are seen. I have noticed real good people being hired on with a great outlook and the desire to make a difference but their optimism would slowly disappear after day after day of frustrations with the companies lack of professional leadership and with the CAB department struggle to make a good product that has so many opportunities to fail in the product build.

What is sad about this block of advice that I could share some good advice but I wont, is that I know for a fact that the people who should read this working at ATS will not because they don't want to see the negatives from what a handful of former employees will say about their thoughts because we (former employees) have attitudes and moved on from ATS. But its we the people who was always there at work and gave %100 that got tired of it and lost what ever job satisfaction we had and our confidence in ATS left also, most people need and want a job satisfaction to blend with our daily life so our family life stays healthy and happy. I pray for good changes to happen at ATS for the company name and future many people need to continue having that paycheck.

Very disappointed with how management treats the associates!! And no one knows or uses the quality systems!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wages and hours were the only pros for this company!

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE!! Worked there for over 27 yrs. they are not matching 401K, taking money away from associates! The company does NOT care about quality what so ever!!

Get a CLUE!! Learn your quality systems.! There are quality systems in place but only used when they need to! SO SAD to see a great place to work (Behr Heat Transfer) to such a BAD place.

Bad place

I have been working at Adams Thermal Systems

Pros

Pay may be more or less good. That is the only positive thing I can say about this company. Not very many positive things about this company to say.

Cons

Horrible place to work, owner is running an slave camp for real. He is a horrible person who abuses his people and power, Run run run from there!The owner pretends to be a Christian person for his benefit but he is a very shady person who takes advantage of people in every not Christian way possible! Not a good place to work it all!

Learn to actually be human beings!

Co-workers are great. Company is going down hill very fast

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wages ok. The long term employees know what they are doing and are friendly. Benefits are slightly below average.

Cons

401 K match has not been done for three years. Used to get bonuses, not anymore. Upper management brought in from outside and doesn't understand the products and processes. If something breaks down most often people are told to go home and have to use PTO. Can't get tools needed quickly, air quality poor. A lot of equipment in the old part of the business are in poor shape and in need of updating. Rather than screen and hire competent people they just bring in temps and a lot of them don't speak very good English or understand what needs to be done. That is part of the quality problem. A lot of the people that are brought in aren't motivated. If you don't have a college degree your chances of getting a promotion are very slim. The company doesn't train employees for advancement. Lastly, people wanted be treated with respect.

Upper management should be replaced all the way to the top. The CEO/Owner should concentrate on keeping his company running and keeping employees happy so that they feel wanted and respected. Then the quality will be better. Owner needs to update the old equipment. Make sure employees are properly trained and know exactly what is expected of them so that they can do quality work. When the Owner says the he will match 401k he should do so. Train old time employees for advancement, they know the products best. If the owner wants to make donations that is fine but don't do so at the expense of the company. Employees health and safety are first, equipment, building. When the company is in a good financial state then owner should donate as he desires to.

People are set up for and destined for failure due to lack of structure and management

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems

Pros

There are few high points from my time at Adams. There are some great people there. Many of the employees are competent, focused, and mean to do well at their jobs. Honestly, many just don't care. But the ones who show up and truly want to make a difference are the ones I really enjoyed working with. Unfortunately, those people are stuck in a losing battle.

Cons

If you don't mind arrogance, condescending attitudes, assumptions that you are completely inept and incapable of doing your job, this might be the place for you. Management acts with an air that they are better than the people who work for them and make the business run. However, management is far from supportive when it comes to providing training, guidance, support, mentoring, all those things that tend to lead to successful team members. They also lack accountability and structure. All of this needs to come from the top down. But the upper levels of management are too busy congratulating each other on what a fine job they are doing to notice that their staff are lacking in the support that they desperately need.

Provide structure and support. But more importantly, start holding the RIGHT people accountable. Provide a work environment where people feel needed and appreciated.

Too Big Too Fast

I worked at Adams Thermal Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was outstanding, benefits were average.
    A great job to have while you are looking for a different one.

Cons

Challenging management staff
    Lack of consistent leadership
    Lack of sustained and meaningful training
    Very little appreciation for outstanding associates
    Low morale due to constant layoffs and poor accountability measures

Focus on your best and most valued asset, YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Adams Thermal Systems Photos