Adaptive Computing

Updated February 28, 2015
3.8

Marty Smuin

10 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Never had such a positive opinion of our company and what we can achieve!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our company has recently gone through a change in the executive team so everybody is extremely motivated.
    Creativity and performance is just EXPLODING around our company and we've never been as united as right now.
    The new CEO is extremely entrepreneurial and is willing to listen to everybody's ideas. If you have good ideas and are passionate, he will give you his unconditional support.
    Changes in Engineering management also seemed to have had a tremendous impact in the company's productivity and performance. No problem is unsolvable!

Cons

Need to keep working on correcting the bad decisions made by the previous executive team.
    (though that's more of a challenge than a real problem so I actually see this simply as a temporary setback!).

Keep up what you are doing. Employees love that the exec team is closer than ever to EVERYBODY.
    You've certainly raised the moral and that translates into work of excellence.
    Also, keep us focused on building a company and there's no stopping us.

Great people with excellent work/life balance.

Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Adaptive Computing

Pros

Excellent work/life balance and very kind colleagues.

Cons

Company struggles at times financial.

Think they are on the right track now. Steady long term growth.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Adaptive Computing

Pros

The company has good people, solid product, and is often developing cutting edge technology. The company has a new CEO with a vision and passion for its customers. Although I can not speak to the negative comments of others I can speak to my experience. I am happy to be working at Adaptive computing at this time and with a innovative team. I firmly believe that Adaptive is growing and will continue to shape itself into a great influence in the industry.
    Unlimited PTO, managers that listen and act, and great compensation.

Cons

Career path, Training, cross-team training.

Keep the open door policy and continue to foster growth and training.

A once a promising company

I worked at Adaptive Computing

Pros

Adaptive has unlimited time off with good but not great beneifts and decent compensation. The technology was once promising and leading edge.

Cons

Adaptive focused too much on trying to sell the business off and not enough on actually making it worth investing in and a growth potential. Management sadly stopped developing and started marketing. This led to massive problems as what's the point of working if you are only there to sell the company and not the product. Most of the talent left and the company began a slow slide into obsolescence. Absolutely no moral left.

You should have stopped trying to sell your company as something it wasn't. Quit reaching for the brass ring and instead take a small return on the company with a focus on what you were actually good at.

Good company, great co-workers, stressful environment.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Good people to work with. Good product, just needs to be refined and enhanced - which is an on going project.

Cons

AC has one main customer. When that customer has a problem everyone has to drop what they are doing to cater to that customer. This can cause dates to slip. If that customer doesn't pay when expected this causes revenue to be down and management gets upset and layoffs happen. Customer base needs to be expanded.

Small company, great atmosphere

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Because of the small company it allows you work on different projects and be involved in a number of things. You can feel like your input is valued and that you actually make a difference to helping the company to succeed. Good people to work with.

Cons

Adaptive is struggling to please large customers, often bending over backwards to please them and get revenue before the end of the quarter. If sales by a few customers are not met it messes up the entire quarter or year. There was never any mention of raises or promotions - no career path. A good place to work for a period until you find something better.

Formerly great company that's started to flounder

I worked at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

The engineering department is staffed with great people who really know their stuff (I can't speak directly to other areas as I didn't work on that 'side of the fence' as it were). The benefits and flexibility in workdays are wonderful. The direct supervisory managers are really great.

Cons

Since taking outside venture capital investments for the first time in it's history recently, things have become more stressful and communication between groups has begun to break down under short sighted profit motives and for the first time turf wars. "Finger pointing" didn't really occur until outside upper management was brought in.

Ditch recently implemented performance metrics that line employees aren't even generally aware of. Make better use of the skills of employees and stop seeing them as only having the skills due to which 'box' they are in by group and title.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Adaptive Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is as at the forefront of it's field. With great people, a fabulous work to life balance and hard-working, yet fun atmosphere, I'd highly recommend Adaptive Computing to anyone seeking employment

Cons

Not a fan of cubicles. In my department ideas were often squelched in the name of profits.

Pay attention to the skill sets you have in front of you. Sometimes I think you overlook those "underlings" who might be highly qualified for a job and instead focus on bottom line and turning profit. A small investment of time can go a long way in the future growth.

A great company to grow with.

I have been working at Adaptive Computing

Pros

The environment at Adaptive Computing is wonderful. We're a mid sized company with a small business feel. Pay is competitive, and the crowd you work with is great.

Cons

Communication between HR and the trenches leaves a lot to be desired. I think they're working on it though.

Communication between HR and the trenches leaves a lot to be desired. Keep the employees in the know, and they will be much more receptive to policy changes.

A great place to work

I have been working at Adaptive Computing

Pros

Adaptive Computing has made it clear to me what my job responsibilities are, as well as given me the opportunity to take on my own projects to improve the software I work on. Even though I don't have seniority on my team, I am given important and interesting work to do, and I'm not forced to do the drudgery. I like the challenges I'm given as an engineer.
    On the personal side, the company promotes a family friendly environment (almost all of the engineers have families they like to go home to) and has a great culture.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that this company needs each employee to be independent. All of the experienced engineers are fairly busy because of the amount of work we're trying to accomplish. If you don't feel comfortable learning and working largely independently, this probably isn't a good company for you.

I think management needs to make sure that all open positions are made known to the employees, so that everyone within has a chance to apply for these positions as well. This is done now, but not every single time.