Adaptive Computing

Updated June 24, 2014
Updated June 24, 2014
3.9

Robert A. Clyde

An enjoyable place to work

I have been working at Adaptive Computing

Pros

Interesting technology and problems to solve. Filled with intelligent team players

Cons

A few of the code bases are old and in need of refactoring

None that I haven't already offered (I prefer to give feedback in person)

OK place to work at

I worked at Adaptive Computing

Pros

Company culture, fun projects, unlimited PTO

Cons

Personal growth, Leadership, Promotions, Greed, founders have delusions of grandeur

Listen to your employees more.

Good overall experience

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Some very bright people, friendly atmosphere, decent compensation. Really amazing customers that are doing amazing things with Adaptive's products. Moabcon is actually a really cool conference.

Cons

Trying to go after too many trends and markets (until recently) and they are paying for it a bit now. Lost some very good talent to growing tech companies in Utah.

Keep current strategy and build upon successes. Continue to communicate often with the employee base.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, great co-workers, stressful environment.

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Good people to work with. Good product, just needs to be refined and enhanced - which is an on going project.

Cons

AC has one main customer. When that customer has a problem everyone has to drop what they are doing to cater to that customer. This can cause dates to slip. If that customer doesn't pay when expected this causes revenue to be down and management gets upset and layoffs happen. Customer base needs to be expanded.

Solid Place To Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

This company that lets you take on challenging problems and has relatively few obstacles in terms of getting things done.
    There are a lot of brilliant people working in engineering.

Cons

This company isn't always the best at taking care of its people. Some of the most important people have quit because they've gotten burned out.
    Lots of talk has been had about defining career paths but nothing has really been defined.

Make sure people are taken care of and the direction is clear.

Small company, great atmosphere

I have been working at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

Because of the small company it allows you work on different projects and be involved in a number of things. You can feel like your input is valued and that you actually make a difference to helping the company to succeed. Good people to work with.

Cons

Adaptive is struggling to please large customers, often bending over backwards to please them and get revenue before the end of the quarter. If sales by a few customers are not met it messes up the entire quarter or year. There was never any mention of raises or promotions - no career path. A good place to work for a period until you find something better.

Formerly great company that's started to flounder

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Adaptive Computing full-time

Pros

The engineering department is staffed with great people who really know their stuff (I can't speak directly to other areas as I didn't work on that 'side of the fence' as it were). The benefits and flexibility in workdays are wonderful. The direct supervisory managers are really great.

Cons

Since taking outside venture capital investments for the first time in it's history recently, things have become more stressful and communication between groups has begun to break down under short sighted profit motives and for the first time turf wars. "Finger pointing" didn't really occur until outside upper management was brought in.

Ditch recently implemented performance metrics that line employees aren't even generally aware of. Make better use of the skills of employees and stop seeing them as only having the skills due to which 'box' they are in by group and title.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Adaptive Computing full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is as at the forefront of it's field. With great people, a fabulous work to life balance and hard-working, yet fun atmosphere, I'd highly recommend Adaptive Computing to anyone seeking employment

Cons

Not a fan of cubicles. In my department ideas were often squelched in the name of profits.

Pay attention to the skill sets you have in front of you. Sometimes I think you overlook those "underlings" who might be highly qualified for a job and instead focus on bottom line and turning profit. A small investment of time can go a long way in the future growth.

A great company to grow with.

I have been working at Adaptive Computing

Pros

The environment at Adaptive Computing is wonderful. We're a mid sized company with a small business feel. Pay is competitive, and the crowd you work with is great.

Cons

Communication between HR and the trenches leaves a lot to be desired. I think they're working on it though.

Communication between HR and the trenches leaves a lot to be desired. Keep the employees in the know, and they will be much more receptive to policy changes.

A great place to work

I have been working at Adaptive Computing

Pros

Adaptive Computing has made it clear to me what my job responsibilities are, as well as given me the opportunity to take on my own projects to improve the software I work on. Even though I don't have seniority on my team, I am given important and interesting work to do, and I'm not forced to do the drudgery. I like the challenges I'm given as an engineer.
    On the personal side, the company promotes a family friendly environment (almost all of the engineers have families they like to go home to) and has a great culture.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that this company needs each employee to be independent. All of the experienced engineers are fairly busy because of the amount of work we're trying to accomplish. If you don't feel comfortable learning and working largely independently, this probably isn't a good company for you.

I think management needs to make sure that all open positions are made known to the employees, so that everyone within has a chance to apply for these positions as well. This is done now, but not every single time.

Worked for Adaptive Computing? Contribute to the Community!