Adayana Reviews

21 reviews filtered by
3.4
Mikell Rigg Parsch

1. Perfect workplace setting for the highly-motivated and intellectually-curious.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Adayana full-time

Pros

(1) Real Consulting Work for Big-Time Clients

The client work is challenging and fast-paced. Even for less experienced professionals, Adayana offers those with the right background the opportunity to do real consulting projects for large, successful companies. We really do help solve real (and often very complicated) business problems for many brand-name companies that most everyone has probably heard of.

(2) Super-Smart Co-Workers Who Check Their Egos at the Door

You're surrounded by extremely bright people. But it's not a pretentious environment. We have people with very prestigious academic and professional backgrounds. And we have people almost no prior work experience--who we hired right out of college. None of it matters a whole lot. Your perceived value as an employee is based entirely on the quality of your work and how well you work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment. I strongly disagree with an earlier post suggesting that politics influences personnel decisions. It's pretty much all tied to merit.

(3) Highly-Ethical Leadership Who Have (Finally) Stated a Clear Vision for the Future

We have highly-ethical leadership starting at the very top of the organization. Overall, I think the leadership team has great ideas regarding how to position the company for the future and grow the business. In my time with the company, morale has never been higher.

For the first time, I think the company as a whole is moving in a common direction. Much of our project work is divided across fairly pronounced functional dividing lines (learning, technology, and management consulting). This segmentation sometimes makes it difficult for the company to truly speak in single voice to new (or even existing) customers. The new leadership recognizes these deficiencies and have taken meaningful actions (and are making the necessary investments) to overcome them.

Cons

(1) Fast-Paced, Unstructured Work Environment (Pro for Some, Con for Others)

I think that employee perceptions regarding the Adayana work environment vary considerably because individual employee needs for structure/direction tend to vary considerably. For the right type of employee, Adayana is a near-perfect fit in terms of work environment. For others, the lack of structure and guidance may prove frustrating and, at times, even panic-inducing.

As an earlier reviewer on this site suggested, there isn't a lot of hand-holding at Adayana, Employees aren't always given clear guidance/instruction regarding many work assignments. I think that's mostly accurate. However, context is important. Think about the work we do: companies pay us considerable amounts of money to solve a problem of some kind. How we solve the problem likely involves the use of our learning/training, technology, and/or management consulting resources--but the "how" involved on each project varies considerably. So don't expect to receive a step-by-step instruction manual you can look to for guidance when things aren't so clear to you. But at the same time, you'll also find that there are many seasoned veterans available throughout the company to help answer questions and give you advice (assuming you seek them out and request their input).

Adayana's somewhat unstructured environment --a source of frustration/anxiety for some employees-- is also what makes it a near-ideal work environment for others. Adayana just sort of feels "right" for the more entrepreneurial and intellectually-curious types--i.e. the types of employees who find themselves a little bored and/or restless when placed inside the bureaucratic machinery of some larger companies.

(2) Frequent Collaboration in Teams (Pro for Some, Con for Others)

Teamwork is a cornerstone of Adayana's culture. Being perceived a good teammate is considered very high praise. And so, if someone doesn't really play well with others, or if they dislike (or resist) collaboration with a team, it's doubtful things will work out for them long-term at Adayana. Everybody has different workplace needs. For some, it's being able to meet all workplace commitments independent of other people. I just don't know if that sort of mentality really fits the team-first culture of Adayana. To each his (or her) own.

On a related matter, I read an earlier comment suggesting that employees are expected to work long hours. Not sure I'd say this is patently false, but it's important to understand the phenomenon in context. As mentioned above, Adayana as a company really values teamwork/collaboration and employees want to be perceived as good teammates. So what you you'll find is that some employees will, on occasion, put in longer-than-expected hours to avoid letting their teammates down. It is NOT something mandated by management. It just happens more or less organically--it comes from a strong sense of responsibility to their team (or to a specific client). Not once have I been pressured to work more than a normal week and/or to not use my vacation time. But there have been times where--to support my team in the face of a looming deadline--I chose to go ahead and work over a weekend, or I chose to revise my vacation plans. And I've seen others make similar choices for themselves as well--again, in the interest of the team's success. I see it as a source of strength, not a weakness. The fact that our people truly invest in the outcome--it's among the things I really love about Adayana.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you know is right (versus what you know is easy). Invest in the future of the business. Ensure we retain (and recruit) the very best and brightest people.

2. A great place to learn and test your expertise.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Adayana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is always plenty of interesting project work to do. Leadership is very open to sending employees to training and conferences at the employee's request. They also provide you with great tools to work with.

Cons

Because of the small size of the company, sometimes you will have to do work that isn't typically what you would expect of your role. This can be disruptive to other project work.

Great People. Great Work.

Former Intern - Business Analyst Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Intern - Business Analyst Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Adayana as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to intern at Adayana for 12 weeks. Impressive talent on hand and clear-cut plan for growth. Dynamic customer base with unique service offerings provided a meaningful work experience.

Cons

None. Re-group and rally stage makes for an exciting start-up feel.

Small company doing big things!

I have been working at Adayana full-time

Pros

Great place for those that don't need to have their hand held and want to be in a position where each individuals effort makes a difference. Since it's a smaller organization you will likely have an opportunity to do some customer facing work for some clients that are leaders in their perspective field.

Arguably the most family friendly company I have ever worked for. Supports remote work and flexible scheduling. Jam packed with some highly experienced and talented people who can be great mentors for others. The potential experience you can gain working for this organization is top notch.

New leadership is open to ideas, focused on the customer, and want to take care of their employees. The company today compared to the company last year is drastically improved and different. Don't let the comments made on here in 2013 or prior to the bankruptcy discourage you. New leadership, renewed focus, and high motivated staff is what's left. Great time to join and help build something special.

Cons

Lost some quality people due to the transition but the new talent that's been recruited is enthusiastic and motivated to fill the gaps. Very much feels like a start up so a lot of work ahead to build the company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what's most important, the customer. Continue to investing in your people and focus on retaining your talent. Be very vocal about successes! (You are already doing all of these things, keep it up!)

Outstanding Opportunity for People with Entrepreneurial Spirits

I have been working at Adayana full-time

Pros

Adayana has went through quite a bit of changes in the last six months, but these changes have ultimately led to a clearer business focus and direction, a stronger leadership team, and a tight knit team. Adayana delivers great results to their customers and is customer obsessed. The company and leadership team have their employees best interests at heart.

Cons

There understandably has been alot of change the last six months and Adayana has lost some key talent but they are taking the rights steps to add the appropriate people to the team and have the right people in key places to make decisions.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees and stick to the strategic direction you have laid out. Keep remaining customer obsessed.

New ownership and focus

I have been working at Adayana full-time

Pros

Some of the reviews talk about Adayana's recent bankruptcy. The company has emerged in a much better financial position with new ownership and a new leader at the helm. Several recent events to note in the past month or two:

- more focused strategy and clearer priorities
    - much better communication internally
    - considerable effort being made to retain and support employees
    - client relationships continue to be strong. While there have been some employee transitions, new team members are stepping up admirably.
    - The focus is moving back to its entreprenuerial roots -- serving our customers well and doing great work. Creative thinking is valued and appreciated now more than ever.

Personally, I have always found Adayana a good place to work -- smart, committed people, interesting work, opportunities for those who seek them.

Cons

The bankruptcy was stressful, and we lost a few wonderful team members. It will take time to replace them. New owners are committed, though, to investing in Adayana's people.

Advice to Management

Deliver on the promises. Stay on the same page. Hold yourselves accountable. Serve your teams.

Lack of vision -

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Adayana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Remote work environment
    Great client list
    Coffee

Cons

Lack of Strategy
    Lack of leadership
    Choppy and stressful

Advice to Management

Develop an offering
    Develop a value proposition

The future is uncertain

I have been working at Adayana

Pros

The project work is always challenging and gives you the opportunity to develop a broad set of capabilities. There is a lot of flexibility in the work environment and you will be very autonomous. For me this was both a blessing and a curse.

Cons

Company has just emerged from a bankruptcy. Many key people have left the organization. It is really unclear what the business will look like moving forward.

If you want to specialize deeply in one discipline, it is nearly impossible to do here.

This is not an environment for the faint of heart. If you are comfortable working with lots of ambiguity, little direction, and no support from your management, you will enjoy the opportunities that the environment provides. If you need even a small amount of structure and stability at work, you are likely to find this a very stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Management team has turned over several times in the last five years, but you don't seem to get any better at selecting new managers. The faces change but the bad behaviors that have gotten us into trouble in the past remain the same. You need to hire for and reward a different set of management behaviors. Any leader who puts his/her personal success ahead of the success of his/her reports and the company as a whole should be shown the door.

10. Midguided and declining

Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Adayana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great client work, tremendous opportunity to grow your network and your skillset with the people who have been around the company for a long time.

Cons

Absolutely no direction, poor leadership and communication, and I'm pretty sure they have gone bankrupt since I left which give enough of an indication to the state of the business.

Advice to Management

Hire your replacement

11. A lot of ups and downs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Adayana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Adayana does interesting project work in meaningful industries. The client work and interaction was rewarding. There are significant business issues and opportunities to work on.

Cons

Adayana was not a very friendly or inspiring place to work. Management seemed to struggle with direction and was short term task vs. big picture focused.

Advice to Management

Focus on where the firm can best compete vs. trying to be all things to all people.